CANNOT SAVE ANYTHING IN MY CC3D
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:10 pm »
Hello everybody !

I've got a puzzle problem. I CANNOT SAVE ANYTHING IN MY CC3D. (i have read lot of topics but i didn't find a solution)

What's happening ? :

*I configure my CC3D until the final test (without propellers). I activated the always armed mode for this test. But my level is not good, so i decided to restart all configuration.

I click on VEHICLE SETUP WIZARD, and at the end i can't save my settings.

I check the ESC are disarmed. I reinstalled librepilot on my windows 10. I rescue my CC3D. Erase all, and upgrade it.

So please, help me :'(

Re: Cannot Save anything in my CC3D
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:43:18 am »
We have a lot of people complaining "Can't save settings on CC3D"  :(   It is likely that some cloners are making them without the correct external flash chip, to save money.  Most other firmware brands (e.g. Cleanflight and Betaflight) do not use the external flash chip to save settings, they use the CPU NV memory for that, and so they work fine.  If that is the case, then you need to go to CF/BF/etc.  The following assumes this is not the case and we will try to figure out how to fix it.

There are many threads about this on the LP forum.  Many threads just stop with no reply as to whether or not the issue was fixed. One or two users say they finally gave up.  One says he found a fix, but no one has posted a reply.

Please try this and please reply here when you finally fix it :) or finally give up.  :(

Update: The following has been tried and did not fix the issue.  Need to try Cleanflight V1.10 flash_erase command which fixed it for one user.

Unplug the board, go to Firmware page, press Rescue, then plug board in, (this is called Manual method in wiki) it will show you Firmware Tag, "git commit hash", and CRC for both the onboard firmware and the firmware bundled with the GCS.  If all these match, then you are already running exactly what the GCS expects, so that isn't an issue.  If something doesn't match then the firmware version and GCS version do not match, and you must upgrade the firmware to match the GCS but please continue reading.

If Firmware Tag (e.g. 16.09) matches exactly but the others don't, there may be custom firmware on it that you don't want to erase.  Then you may want to post a screen capture and ask for advice before proceeding (flashing anything, bootloader or firmware). In any case, take a screen capture and post it if anything does not match.  The information may help us, and the information is gone once you flash anything.

This Firmware page will also tell you what bootloader version you are running.  You need bootloader version 4.  If it is not version 4 then upgrade to version 4 using instructions below.  Note that a normal bootloader upgrade from a bu_something.opfw file erases the firmware, leaving just the bootloader, so after upgrading the bootloader, you must upgrade firmware and you must use the Manual method to upgrade the firmware:

Please make a screen capture (of Firmware page while using the Rescue button / Manual method) before upgrading.  :)

To upgrade bootloader:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab

To upgrade firmware after updating bootloader use Manual method on same page.

Unplug the board, go to Firmware page, press Rescue, then plug board in, press Erase Settings (then OK) and within 25 seconds, it will reconnect and FlightTime will start counting (from about 23) again.  Wait till it gets up to at least say 120 (to make sure the erase is complete) and disconnect the board. (Waiting this long should not be necessary under normal circumstances.)  This should erase the settings and there should be no error messages.  Unplug the board and plug it back in to reboot it.

After that, go to Configuration -> Hardware.  Change GPS Speed to 38400 and press Save.  The Save button should turn into a Save button with a green check mark.  Unplug the CC3D and plug it back in.  When it connects in a few seconds (less than 10 for me) you should see that GPS Speed is still 38400.  If it is 38400, you have proven that you can save and remember settings.

After Erase Settings, you could also try simply doing File -> ExportUAVSettings to a temp file, then File -> ImportUAVSettings from that same temp file (and press Save To Board Flash).  Save To Board Flash takes a little less than 1 minute on my setup but you can see it count up during that minute.

Did it work?  Was there an error somewhere?  What error?  There are other things to try.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:32:18 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Re: CANNOT SAVE ANYTHING IN MY CC3D
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:47:54 pm »
İ  have the same problem. I make the explained procedures  step by step.Nothing changed. This problem started after 16.09 upgrade. İn 15.09 I havent this problem. For the test my board .I loaded 'betaflight_CC3D_OPBL.bin' fw  by rescue-openfile-flash  on the 16.09 libre. After I connect my board to the betaflight. It see the board and connected. I make some conf and I save my cc3d board. İt saved. I disconect the board after ı close the betaflight. I restart the beta ı connect the board all the conf ok.
Another test.
I turn back the 16.09 again. Re flash the board. Firmware tab says system healty. Board running but not save any conf. When ı am on the conf tab I changed gps and telemety speed 38400.I Saved. My save button red cross.But on the screen speeds is 38400. I export the uav settings to the Test.uav file . I opend the file by word pad. I check the gps and telemetry speed it is 38400. I import this file to my gcs .When importing İt says Writing to flash . When it come to %100 ı close the import tab. I check the gcs it is
38400. I disconnect the board and reconnect. gcs read the board settings and the values turn the 57600.
1-gcs says I am not able to save (red cross) but when I save the conf to the uav file new values (38400).New values saved to file. I see it in the word pad and  the gcs conf tab.
2-When I import the uav file.gcs says I am writing the flash but dont write the flash
There is a chip close the mini port 'winbond 25016' ı think this the flash.
3-Betaflight can write the conf to the flash chip. We connot say chip is defected.
4-may be some wrong conf writing procedures in the Gcs. İt comes with the 16.09 release.(may be).This problem started on my board with 16.09.
5-Additional information: Board with 16.09 fw and boat loader .Runs on 15.09 and 15.02.02. 15.09 and 15.02 says this not my fw may be you have problem bla bla...
On this situation  in the firmware tab compass running and says system healty.
both version connot save any conf to board.
6-After the 16.09 upgrade my board can run only 16.09 fw . 15.09 and 15.02.02 fw cannot run the board. No cominication.I tryed many thing Bl files bu files bin files.I have no cominication with the board except 16.09.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:21:14 pm »
I make the explained procedures  step by step.Nothing changed.
What was the first error that you saw?

I make the explained procedures  step by step.  ...  For the test my board .I loaded 'betaflight_CC3D_OPBL.bin' fw  by rescue-openfile-flash  on the 16.09 libre.
I do not know if this bootloader is correct.  We did not make it.  The explained procedure uses the  bu_cc3d.opfw bootloader file from the LibrePilot wiki (link in the explained procedure above) so that we know the bootloader is correct.  I do not know that the bootloader you used can cause this problem, but I request that you use the bootloader that LibrePilot made for these tests.

After I connect my board to the betaflight. It see the board and connected. I make some conf and I save my cc3d board. İt saved. I disconect the board after ı close the betaflight. I restart the beta ı connect the board all the conf ok.
Another test.
I turn back the 16.09 again. Re flash the board. Firmware tab says system healty. Board running but not save any conf.
Sorry.  It seems you didn't follow the instructions which say to Erase Settings before testing any kind of save settings.  If you would please try again and follow instructions exactly.  :)

3-Betaflight can write the conf to the flash chip. We connot say chip is defected.
Most other firmware brands (e.g. Cleanflight and Betaflight) do not use the external flash chip to save settings, they use the CPU NV memory for that, and so they work fine.
Also, I think that is probably 'Winbond 25Q16' from some Google searches.  That is good information.  Mine is a different brand 25P16... chip.  The important part is 2516.  It might be a bad run of chips, but at least it is supposed to be the correct chip.  I think that Cleanflight/Betaflight use this chip for in flight logging so another test would be to run CF/BF and test the in flight logging.

It is quite common and possible for some versions of LibrePilot/OpenPilot to partially work when GCS and firmware are mismatched.  It is also quite common and possible for some versions of LibrePilot/OpenPilot to fail to work when GCS and firmware are mismatched.

It would help if you would please try again, in order, using the instructions to:
- flash LibrePilot bootloader with file from LibrePilot wiki as described
- Upgrade firmware using Manual method as described
- Erase Settings as described
- Try to change and save baud rate as described
(with nothing else in between these tests)
This may or may not fix it.  If it does not fix it, where did it first fail?  There are other things we can test and ways around whatever failed.  I thank you for your help in trying to fix this issue.  :)

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:20:51 am »
I make the explained procedures  step by step.Nothing changed.
What was the first error that you saw?
I tested speed changing and I saw `red x` . before ı write.

Quote from: batur can on February 27, 2019, 12:47:54 pm
I make the explained procedures  step by step.  ...  For the test my board .I loaded 'betaflight_CC3D_OPBL.bin' fw  by rescue-openfile-flash  on the 16.09 libre.
I do not know if this bootloader is correct.  We did not make it.  The explained procedure uses the  bu_cc3d.opfw bootloader file from the LibrePilot wiki (link in the explained procedure above) so that we know the bootloader is correct.  I do not know that the bootloader you used can cause this problem, but I request that you use the bootloader that LibrePilot made for these tests.
Yes you did not make it. Betaflight made it for the betaflight software. For test my board under betaflight software I loaded. I tested my boad with BF. İt runs withouth Problem. After I returned back the bu_cc3d.opfw . All my lıbre test done with this bootloader.

After I connect my board to the betaflight. It see the board and connected. I make some conf and I save my cc3d board. İt saved. I disconect the board after ı close the betaflight. I restart the beta ı connect the board all the conf ok.
Another test.
I turn back the 16.09 again. Re flash the board. Firmware tab says system healty. Board running but not save any conf.
Sorry.  It seems you didn't follow the instructions which say to Erase Settings before testing any kind of save settings.  If you would please try again and follow instructions exactly.  :)
I do it may be 10 times. Ereas without erase . I tried every posibility . I will do it again for you  :)

Quote from: TheOtherCliff on February 14, 2019, 04:43:18 am
Most other firmware brands (e.g. Cleanflight and Betaflight) do not use the external flash chip to save settings, they use the CPU NV memory for that, and so they work fine.

I think Libre must use the same place (cpu nv memory).Because conf security is important. There is a faisafe tab (option) on the software. But conf is not saving a failsafe area  :). Conf file is important. Without conf ,Failsafe and other tabs is not important. Because board it not work without settings. If CF BF using the cpu NV. You use both (Cpu NV and external flash). Redundancy is the best. Especially for the settings.

Also, I think that is probably 'Winbond 25Q16' from some Google searches.  That is good information.  Mine is a different brand 25P16... chip.  The important part is 2516.  It might be a bad run of chips, but at least it is supposed to be the correct chip.  I think that Cleanflight/Betaflight use this chip for in flight logging so another test would be to run CF/BF and test the in flight logging.

It is quite common and possible for some versions of LibrePilot/OpenPilot to partially work when GCS and firmware are mismatched.  It is also quite common and possible for some versions of LibrePilot/OpenPilot to fail to work when GCS and firmware are mismatched.

I will try again fallowing order. And I will return back to you.İn Addition I will buy one pieces 25q16 chip ant I will try replace the chip.

It would help if you would please try again, in order, using the instructions to:
- flash LibrePilot bootloader with file from LibrePilot wiki as described
- Upgrade firmware using Manual method as described
- Erase Settings as described
- Try to change and save baud rate as described
(with nothing else in between these tests)
This may or may not fix it.  If it does not fix it, where did it first fail?  There are other things we can test and ways around whatever failed.  I thank you for your help in trying to fix this issue.  :)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:03:48 am »
Hi I made your procedure again result is same . RED X . I attached some pictures.
I found an error I think. After save and responce red X .Same time system healty display give some errors. It escape from my attention before. I am sending to you. I booted the board manualy errors lost from the system healty display. I save conf again . İt come back to system healty display.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:27 pm »
I buy the chips  :). My scenario for errors: When I push the save button. In the background board trying boot operation 3 times. If ıt cant handle this boot operation. Sytem healty panel give this errors.Trying boot ıs ıt normal ı dont know. May be natural for set the new config. But this is strictly related with this saving error.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 04:55:38 pm »
Hi I replace the chip . And I do your procedure again. Result is same.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:04:20 pm »
I faund another similar error on the system healty screen. All is green except input and output. This normal in my stuation. When I try the erease setting button. Red boot alert coming again. I tink this mean is software or fw cannot write access to flash. Or cannot boot the board. Board manualy booting and running with new flash.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 05:38:12 pm »
Boot alarm is normal, every change in hardware need a reboot.
Input and output in red are also normal because nothing configured.

Try formatting the "SD card" used for logging when you are running Cleanflight/Betaflight and go back to LP.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 08:31:14 pm »
Why it says `system has failed to boot more than three times:system defaults have been set`?.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
Why it says `system has failed to boot more than three times:system defaults have been set`?.
This is misleading.  It can be caused by watchdog causing "system has failed to boot more than three times" or it can simply mean that you changed settings and should reboot.

I buy the chips  :). My scenario for errors: When I push the save button. In the background board trying boot operation 3 times. If ıt cant handle this boot operation. Sytem healty panel give this errors.Trying boot ıs ıt normal ı dont know. May be natural for set the new config. But this is strictly related with this saving error.

Normal LED for my CC3D is blink status LED a little faster than once per second.  When I press Save (38400 baud), there is absolutely no change in LEDs.

Are you saying that yours seems to reboot (like power on LEDs) 3 times when you press Save?

There is a watchdog timer in the CPU.  If the main firmware code does not reset this watchdog every 250 milli seconds then the CPU will be rebooted.  If the watchdog reboots the CPU over and over, then after the 3rd reboot it will temporarily load default conf settings and boot up with default settings.  You can see this if you watch the status LED when you power on the CC3D.  If you get a long blink then short pause and it does this over and over (3 times), then the watchdog is temporarily resetting the conf on each boot.

And here are some close up pictures of my CC3D so you can compare IC part numbers.  I would especially look at the CPU part number and make sure there are no solder blobs or broken traces.  Some CC3D cloners have been known to use a cheaper CPU type or to use early CPU revisions that have known bugs.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:56:21 pm »
BF says your fw not support to logging. I am using 3.2.5 betaflight fw. If we do this for testing the flash. This is new flash chip. This board before running 15.09 after 16.09 I have this mistake. İf you strongly believe  this an hardware error. I will change the cpu next week. Cpu driving the flash .We cahanged the flash . 

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 10:41:46 pm »
This is misleading.  It can be caused by watchdog causing "system has failed to boot more than three times" or it can simply mean that you changed settings and should reboot.

Yes. But it is not able to boot and loading the default settings. Why it is not booting . İs it software or hw error. This card is not new it is upgrade from 15.09 to 16.09. If I will able to run this card.İ will not load again16.09 İ will continue with 15.09.

Quote from: batur can on Today at 02:56:27 pm

Normal LED for my CC3D is blink status LED a little faster than once per second.  When I press Save (38400 baud), there is absolutely no change in LEDs.

Are you saying that yours seems to reboot (like power on LEDs) 3 times when you press Save?

There is a watchdog timer in the CPU.  If the main firmware code does not reset this watchdog every 250 milli seconds then the CPU will be rebooted.  If the watchdog reboots the CPU over and over, then after the 3rd reboot it will temporarily load default conf settings and boot up with default settings.  You can see this if you watch the status LED when you power on the CC3D.  If you get a long blink then short pause and it does this over and over (3 times), then the watchdog is temporarily resetting the conf on each boot.

Ok . system healty monitor says:`help me watchdog reboots me over an over . I am returning the default ` and red alert. Why the watchdog doing this. Because software says reboot it.I dont thing an hw error for this secenario. you write main fw code do this. if you are an development partner in this project please talk this situation with the responsible person.

And here are some close up pictures of my CC3D so you can compare IC part numbers.  I would especially look at the CPU part number and make sure there are no solder blobs or broken traces.  Some CC3D cloners have been known to use a cheaper CPU type or to use early CPU revisions that have known bugs.

I write before This not a new card. I check the cpu it is st32f103 .Flash is difrent 25q16. I write the f5soh user if you believe  this is an hardware error i will change the cpu next week. And i will try to check write protection leg (leg3) of the flash chip.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 11:45:05 pm »
BF says your fw not support to logging. I am using 3.2.5 betaflight fw.

Look this post for 'flash_erase' command, using CLI console.