Re: RevoNano and LED using WS281x
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 04:45:10 am »
Revo mini uses a flexiIO port with 8 pins (instead of 10pins in original Revo) and they removed the pin3/pin4 used for WS281x leds.
So Revo Mini do not work in all places, but only servo connectors.

Yes, and it probably doesn't have an SWD port, and if you want OpLink telemetry, you have to buy that separately and plug it in a port that doesn't even exist on normal Revo.  The ports and pins that are there act the same as a normal Revo.  Normal Revo does not have those pins in the cable, so to use you must add pins to the connector.

The point I was making is that the code running inside cannot tell the difference and so if the LED works in one place, it should work in the other place.  (I presume the MCU runs at the same frequency.)

karla

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:47 am »
So far, I've only tried using servo output 6 ...

That did not work right?
I tried it and its like the wiki say, only servo output 1 will work.
I bet you setting up a heli and you only have output 6 free?

Same for me but that means you have 1 out of 6 free, so just move all the outputs down the line one output. So that output 2 plugs to your previous servo 1, and output 3 connects to previous servo 2, etc
Doing that will leave output 1 free to connnect to the LED thingi.

Have a look in my first post config file, that's exactly what's configured there for a heli 450 size.
seems though there are other issues around  :)

Hope it will help you  :)

karla

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:45 am »
from recent posts from oldtimers I get confused
are revo mini and revo nano different boards?  :o

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:29 am »
Yes, revo-mini is nano-sized normal revolution board, without oplink (but has additional connector for it, it just exposes mcu pins that are used for onboard oplink module in regular revo), has regular f405 mcu running at 168mhz.

revo-nano is the one you have, which has f411 mcu, running at 100mhz and the rest of the oddities.

karla

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:32 am »
thanks - got it

karla

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:38 pm »
Done some tests this evening

Doing reboot after each line ...
1. setting FMS to Atti on all positions (just to rule it out for later tests) - no change
2. setting from INS13 to Basic (in case it is ATTI / STAB) (for this test, see when problem happens, as ATTI / STAB / GPS go green) - no change
3. disabling GPS - no change
4. disabling outputs on receiver port - no change
5. disabling telemetry on mainport - no change

However I have not physically disconnected the cables from the board...
Should I?

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »
Then it sounds to me like you really have a hardware problem.  :(

Thanks for help making sure there is not an interaction with those parts of firmware.

The only other things you might try would be (some of these you probably already tried and don't need to try again):
- starting from Erase Settings, just enable LED and see if that works (makes sure that there is no setting that causes this)
- moving that LED to a system where other LEDs are known to work (known good different MCU and known good different power)
- moving a known working LED to the system where it fails (make sure it is not the LED)

karla

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 03:24:39 pm »
Thanks Cliff,
Have tried most of that but just dawned on me I have not yet tried disable the current/volt sensor.
The interesting part is that it does work if I start with a fresh reboot of standard settings.
Its puzzling but in good hope to identify what the cause is.
Will try this next time I get home, on a business trip now.
K

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 10:43:57 pm »
   Just a brief update:  Doesn't work with my Revo Mini.  I redid my heli setup so that I could try out the LED strip on servo output 1.  Still doesn't work, but it DOES at least light up...  Using servo output 6, it did nothing at all, but using servo output 1, one of the 6 LEDs lights up solid green as soon as battery power is connected, and never changes during flight mode switching, arming, rebooting, etc.  I'm using a Matek WS2812B 6-LED strip, with no other peripheral devices connected to the Mini.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:41 pm »
@Bobrcnut

Can you post your config?

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 11:04:02 pm »
   mr_w, thanks for offering to help.  I want to run some more tests before uploading my .uav file... I recall that, when I was working with quadcopters and WS2812 LEDs, the 2812s were sometimes sensitive to the difference between supply voltage and signal line voltage.  Since I have my BEC set for 6V out instead of 5, that may be a factor, so I'll experiment with that first and see what happens using 5V and a very simple setup that has only an arming switch, 3 flight modes, and LEDs assigned to servo output #1.

I'll be baaaackkkk....   ::)

Re: RevoNano/RevoMini and LED using WS281x
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 08:43:39 am »
   ..Made some progress here.  Step by step:

-- Disconnected ESC, connected it to a separate receiver with nothing else connected to the Rx, provided battery power to the ESC via the same 4S Lipo as always, and used Tx stick programming to reset the ESC back to all default values, which include standard 5V BEC output.  (All other ESC parameters were already set to defaults.)  Measured with a DVM... 5.20 volts steady.  Previously, it was 6.02 volts steady.

-- Reconnected ESC to Revo Mini, then connected Revo Mini to LP via USB.  Did NOT reconnect Lipo. 

-- Went back into LP/System/HW Settings/WS2812 and set it to Servo Output 1, made no other changes at all, Saved the new settings, and disconnected from USB.

-- Disconnected the pitch servo from Servo output 1, connected the 6-LED strip instead.

-- Turned Tx back on, powered up the heli and Revo Mini using Lipo only, no USB connection to LP.

-- AND:  it's working.  All 6 LEDs started flashing single white blinks.  Servos responded to Tx as before.  Flipped the Arm switch, flash pattern changed to green.  Flipped the Flight Mode switch, green flash patterns changed to properly indicate each of the 3 Modes.

-- Reconnected to LP via USB... no change, flash patterns still responded to Tx switch changes.

...All this leads me to one conclusion, and one question:

-- For my specific setup (simple Trex450 DFC Heli, no accessories other than LEDs, LP 16.09), and a Revo Mini from Hyperion, the problem was in fact due to BEC output voltage levels.  It may be that my specific Revo Mini doesn't handle 6V well... I have another Revo Mini (never used) that I'll test this weekend, and see what THAT one does.

-- The only remaining anomaly is that the Wiki 'HowTo' section for LEDs says I should be getting blue flashes instead of green, but the flash patterns do match the HowTo.  Should that be a concern? 

Next step is to figure out how to shift all my heli output channels up by 1 so that I can keep the LEDs connected to Servo Output 1 (seems to be the only acceptable LED port on the Mini).

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:57 am »
You really only need to move whatever is on channel one.  Just move it (only it) to the end instead of shifting them all down one place.  :)

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
We need to split this topic. I think Bobrcnut has regular revo (maybe mini) and not Nano like the OP and topic states. So different rules apply.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 05:17:24 pm »
  mr_w, I apologize if I've 'cluttered up' this thread.. I'm not only new to Librepilot, but also new to this forum and I haven't yet absorbed all the subtle differences in protocols and courtesies between the various RC forums.  Since my LED issue seems to be resolved, I certainly have no objection to removing (or moving) my posts. 

For the record, I am in fact using only Revo Minis right now, not the full-size Revo or the Nano.