trike_flyer

• If it was easy we wouldn't do it!!
Receiver firmware extraction help
« on: January 20, 2017, 07:22:11 am »
Hello

So I want to keep a copy of the firmware from one of my receivers to save as a back up in case the new one I test does not work.  The catch is I know how to put them in but not take them out to read.  I have a usb com port tool to put them in and check to see if it took.  Can someone point me to a site that has a great tutorial for reading and saving the firmware that is on a device.  I would even be good with a book to get about it.  I am not an electronic tech but I do do some repairs on basic electronic items and make small boards to use in my models.  So I have a bit of knowledge on what is going on with the electronics but please make it simpler.

Thanks for the help in this.

TF

Re: Receiver firmware extraction help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:39:18 pm »
I'm guessing that you are talking about RC receivers.

Generally firmware gets converted as it gets put in and there usually isn't any reverse process.

For instance, LP has both a flash and a read command.  Flash takes a formatted .opfw file, converts it into a memory image and flashes it (where the .opfw says to).  The read command is only capable of reading the memory image and saving it as a .bin file.

You may find help here, but I would guess you would be better served looking at the RC receiver mfg web site or using Google.  :)