Re: Cc3d with 16a blheli opto esc fs-ia6-ia6b
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 06:39:03 am »
That sounds exactly the same. When you plug in your esc's do they beep three times only once? i had mine hooked up to 12a esc's with bec before I bought the blheli opto 15a and it worked perfectly. how are you calibrating your esc's individually?

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 08:04:00 am »
The esc's beep correctly I believe. This is the patern: ..._.     (. being short beep and _ being long beep)
They all beep together. Also I calibrate it in librepilot and it all works great under calibration but only then.

I also tried calibrating each esc individually without the flight controller (hooked it directly to the esc as if it was a rc plane.) and the esc's calibrated the same way and there was no difference. But I did notice that the escs act normal when not connected to the revolution flight controller. So it must be a compatibility issue b/t the esc and flight controller.

My next hope is to use the blheli software to look at the esc software and see if I can work something out.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 10:00:21 am »
I bought some cheap SImonK ESCs on eBay one time that were almost uncontrollably jumpy.  The quad would jump up and sometimes I would even have to stop the motors and let it fall to get it lower to the ground.

I finally figured out that it was the ESCs because the problem went away when I flashed them with the latest SimonK.

My procedure now is that I always update the ESC firmware before even using them for one flight.  I buy $3.50 SimonK ESCs and they work well for me with this extra work.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 06:03:41 pm »
How should I go about updating these blheli opto's? And is it possible to post a video on here? I want to post one so you can see first hand from start to finish, and see if maybe you have other thoughts

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 08:28:28 pm »
Yeah how do you update them, you cant use blhelisuite with librepilot I dont think.

All I got is a ftdi adapter and every connector imaginable.

I just ordered http://www.banggood.com/DYS-V2-USB-Linker-For-The-ESC-Programmer-To-Flash-BLHeli-Bootloader-p-1020339.html?rmmds=search which will hopefully let me program the escs. Hopefully this works. Now to wait a month for it to get here from china. I'll keep you updated.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:45:48 pm by dereelmatts »

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 06:07:58 pm »
These esc's and librepilot definitely have some compatibility issues. I turn mine on after properly setting up everything. Im using pwm fsia6 rx and the problem is that every time I give just enough throttle to power the motors it starts high on throttle and accels and decelerates at random. I will make a video as soon as possible and see if anyone has a possible solution. And yes, please keep me updated to any new finding and I will do the same. We WILL figure this out.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:52:32 pm by Tonylong1212 »

hwh

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »
These esc's and librepilot definitely have some compatibility issues....

I just re-read this entire thread, there's not a single post that would indicate that.  In fact earlier you posted that they work:

They set up properly, all 4 are spinning consistent at 1030

It they work in the motor test there are no compatibility problems.

While all my ESCs are old and SimonK at least one of the other developers I just checked with has BLHeli ESCs on two of his quads with no problems.

Your problem sounds more like your settings in GCS are wrong.  Did you turn off "zero the integral when throttle is low"?

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 04:08:48 am »
As im experiencing the same problem, I doubt it is a problem in the librepilot gui, but Im always open to suggestions. Although I feel as though ive tried almost everything. Maybe it is only certain blheli oneshot escs? I don't know. I do know that others have got them to work, but there is always the possibility these escs are updated or something. I just have to wait a few weeks to get the usb adapter to check.
Yes the motors and escs work in the motor test. But when you arm the copter and go to any amount of throttle the escs jump around from 100% and have no correlation to your throttle input. Although if you do try banking or yawing it might slow them down a little.
So far no fix :( I have given up until the usb flasher comes in.

These esc's and librepilot definitely have some compatibility issues....

I just re-read this entire thread, there's not a single post that would indicate that.  In fact earlier you posted that they work:

They set up properly, all 4 are spinning consistent at 1030

It they work in the motor test there are no compatibility problems.

While all my ESCs are old and SimonK at least one of the other developers I just checked with has BLHeli ESCs on two of his quads with no problems.

Your problem sounds more like your settings in GCS are wrong.  Did you turn off "zero the integral when throttle is low"?

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 04:41:24 am »
I would:
- flash the latest ESC firmware
- set to use PWMSync
- calibrate ESCs and set ESC neutrals according to wiki

Have you done all that?

What motors and props are you using?

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 12:26:18 am »
Guess What? I THINK I FIXED IT

Im literally working on it now, I can't say much but I bought this usb programmer http://www.banggood.com/DYS-V2-USB-Linker-For-The-ESC-Programmer-To-Flash-BLHeli-Bootloader-p-1020339.html?rmmds=myorder (paid $1 for faster shipping and came in like 10 days.

The programmer presented it's own problems but I got it connected to the escs and flashed them with the newest blheli and they dont seem to have the problem any more. Ive only flashed 1 so dont take my word on it but lets hope!

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »
Having run into SimonK and BLHeli ESC firmware issues before (the firmware that came on them), I always flash the latest without even test flying what came on it.  Of course I test before flashing, so I can return them if they are defective.

I think that is why these eBay 30A SimonK's are only $3.34 (shipped) each.  I bought some and flashed the latest (using BLHeliSuite and an Arduino that was flashed to be a serial programmer) and they work fine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30AMP-30A-SimonK-Firmware-Brushless-ESC-w-3A-5V-BEC-for-RC-Quad-Multi-Copter-V4-/292001619516?hash=item43fca71e3c:g:FAEAAOSw9GhYfILN

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »
Okay so here is what I did.... THAT WORKED

I bought this flasher http://www.banggood.com/DYS-V2-USB-Linker-For-The-ESC-Programmer-To-Flash-BLHeli-Bootloader-p-1020339.html?rmmds=myorder
says it works for my escs, not sure about others.

I downloaded the newest blhelisuite https://blhelisuite.wordpress.com/ (https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dx6kfaasyo24l/BLHeliSuite)

You are suppose to connect the signal wire and ground wire (guess you do need the ground wire fml gotta solder them back on...)to the usb bootloader (I heard not to connect the red power lead if you have a bec esc.

Once you are connected you power up the esc and plug everything in to the pc (order doesnt matter)
Now you go to blhelisuite and with this bootloader go to "Select Atmel/Silabs Interface" and Click  option 1 Atmel Blheli Bootloader (USB/COM)
Many bootloaders apparently use option 4 (maybe 5) but this one NEEDS option 1 (not a).
Now at the very bottom of the program select the com port (it should have a name) and leave the baud rate (I think it is 19200)
Now making sure the esc is powered up click connect and it should take max 10sec. It might show a popup telling you to power on the esc so make sure it is powered up and the wires are correctly plugged into the bootloader.
Then it should connect, MAKE SURE TO CLICK READ to load your default settings.
Then next to com click flashblheli and select the closest software (and the newest one) my esc had 14.4 and I flashed 14.9
Although I have 30a esc I flashed the 20a software (it doesnt matter) just find the most similar esc.
Now click save and change any settings then unplug and repeat for all other escs.

This fixed my problems, but I also noticed that without props on the motors still spool up a little at low throttle, this is the copter trying to stabilize and find out what is level (without props the motor will keep increasing usually) so I threw my props on and trusted it and boom, it works.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
After flashing you should test with a current limited power supply in case you used the wrong firmware.  You can flash the correct firmware without burning up the ESC.

Also after flashing you should redo ESC calibration and ESC neutrals.  This may not be required with a minor change in firmware version number though.