CC3D & ESC help needed!
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:16:40 pm »
I just finished building a new quad and I'm trying to get it set up with LibrePilot. I follow the vehicle setup wizard and when I test it out it goes from 0 to full throttle by 1/4 stick. Unfortunately I didn't catch that the first time I tested it and the quad shot up into the air. I managed to land it safely. To fix that I tried to move the upper limit down to just over where it feels like full throttle. Now I get smooth throttle all the way up to full stick but it won't lift off. What am I missing?

Frame: Robocat
Motors: Emax 2204 2300kv
ESC: Emax 20amp
FC: CC3D
Battery: Turnigy 1300mah 20C

Please help!

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: CC3D & ESC help needed!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:58:04 pm »

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:22:11 pm »
Great thanks! I'll try it tonight!

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:22:11 am »
Well it turns out both of those options were already checked. I ran through the entire calibration process again and it still does the same thing.

When I arm the quad, I get to full throttle by 1/4 stick. From there all the way up to full stick the RPM stays the same.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:45:23 am »
I just made interesting progress. I set the max output to 1350 then recalibrated and now I got the quad to hover one foot off the ground at full throttle. The motors were screaming so I have to be pretty close. Ideas?

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 04:43:45 pm »
Does anybody have any other suggestions? I'm stuck!

ernstock

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 09:09:56 pm »
Don't like to think of someone being stuck.
 - are all the props definitely on the right way up ?

hwh

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 09:44:52 pm »
I just made interesting progress. I set the max output to 1350 then recalibrated and now I got the quad to hover one foot off the ground at full throttle. The motors were screaming so I have to be pretty close. Ideas?
Why would you expect it to fly higher than a foot if you backed the max output down to about a third of it's full range?

jtrout19

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:29:04 am »
Why would you expect it to fly higher than a foot if you backed the max output down to about a third of it's full range?

I was getting ready to say the same exact thing...

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 04:52:33 pm »
It's difficult to describe the behavior, I considered making a video.

So if I have the quad connected to my computer and Librepilot open and I go into ESC calibration, following the steps linked above I get weird results. If I have the min and max set at 1000/1900 and arm the quad with the sliders at 1000 then slowly move them up the motors start spinning somewhere around 1100 iirc and the RPMs keep increasing they hit max at 1300. Moving the sliders further to the right does not result in the RPMs increasing at all. So when I disconnect that all and arm the quad and use the transmitter the motors hit full throttle by 1/4 stick. This results in the quad shooting skyward almost uncontrollably. My logic was if I reduce the max to just a bit over that 1300 result it would smooth out the throttle response and in practice that's exactly what happened. Instead of hitting max throttle at 1/4 stick it got to max almost at full stick. Unfortunately it did not have enough thrust to get any higher than 12".

I have also learned that the ESC's may not be EMAX at all. They came with a Hobbyking Black Widow and aren't labeled. They may not even be 20 AMP.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 05:55:18 pm »
Hey Cliff! I followed those instructions to the letter the other day and it didn't help. I'm going to try to follow them again and video the process. Maybe you guys can spot something I'm doing wrong. Thanks again!

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 01:41:39 am »
What are your minimum throttle settings? Most of my quads are similar to yours and my minimums are around 1025 and the max settings are 1900. Maybe your max is too low. I'm pretty new at this so I'm just guessing.  :)

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 03:00:46 am »
Ok! I finally got a video of my problem taken. I appologize for the suckage. At this point I'm starting to think it's hardware failure but I'm not sure which part to start with. I'm leaning toward the FC but I might just buy new ESC's too. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:18:05 am by hwh »