jtrout19

Big VS Small?
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:23:51 pm »
So i was sitting here thinking about some things and figured I would bring it to you guys. It seems to me I see alot more people with smaller quads like 250 and such then people with larger quads. Why is that. I enjoy my 500 size quad alot more than any of the tiny ones ive flown. Same goes for planes with me. I like planes with Wingspans no smaller than 70in. To me they are just more enjoyable to fly. So what do you guys think why are smaller quads more popular?

chromvis

Re: Big VS Small?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:08:16 pm »
Smaller quads are more agile. Much more fun to fly obstacle course, race etc. than just watch slowly moving vistas. I started with 450 than move to 380 --> 250 and now 210 and 180 and even Tiny Whoop for inhouse racing. You can compete, you can tune it in a way that it react fast and precise so you will be able to go through small gate or space between brunches. It is impossible for 500 quad. I tried once to autotune 500 Tarrot-like quad with 5206 motors - vibration loosen all my screws. Big quads are for aerial photography and such. 

jtrout19

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:23:01 pm »
Im not saying I could keep up with a smaller quad But I got 2216 920kv motors on mine with 12in props and the thing scoots. I can fly my quad just fine through the forests where I live. Where was the vibration coming from? As long as I balance my props properly I never have issues with vibration. On top of that I thought it was common practice to loctite all screws so they dont back themselves out? Last time I had my quad chrono, I asked a cop to do it, I was able to achieve 92MPH. I understand that it would be easier to get a small quad through tight spaces so that is one advantage.

chromvis

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:39:18 pm »
OK. If you fly even 30 - 40 mph, could you turn or reverse your flight direction (turn around the tree trunk) within max. 2 meters from the tree?

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:35:57 am »
I dont know never tried that. Once I get her back up and running I will see how many feet it takes me to reverse direction at full throttle and let you know. Is that the only thing though the fact that you can squeeze them in tight places and make sharper and tighter turns?

chromvis

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:58 am »
No. It is just an example. It is probably all personal feelings. I started with big powerful quad which could lift 5x100 w LED at night to shoot interesting video. I required GPS and all stuff to fix position or fly by way points. Apparently, there is still no reliable system (in DIY world) which can do it without occasional fault. Everyone claim that they can do it, but they could not. I started testing GPS and mags on smaller quads, then tried FPV. First, I thought that if I will have good position hold and velocity roam I could learn FPV easier - wrong thought! I end up flying 250 without GPS and mag, first in attitude, then in rate mode. An now I am flying X210 with RS2205 2600kv with 5045x3 dal props  that weight just 430 g with 1800 mAh battery. This beast hover at 23% throttle and fly over 15 min on single battery. I am still learning, but I fly only rate in aggressive settings and enjoy it a lot. Although I probably enjoy more assembling new quads and testing different features. Unfortunately, it is probably too late for me to learn modern programming (I used to like it in 70s and 80s, but it is different world now). Any way, try to assemble small powerful quad and fly it FPV - you will get a feeling.

jtrout19

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:31:33 am »
I setup my big quad for fpv. I do have a kodak pixpro on it. But the main thing is I like long range flight. I can get about 2 1/2 miles one way with my quad right now. I have been playing with the thought of building a small one with FPV a well. I might end up doing it in a couple months. That being said it would mean I have to put the Seagul Cessna 152 I want on hold. Decisions....Decisions.....why can't I just win the lottery so I dont have to worry about it....lol

jtrout19

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Just an upate......being that my birthday is today i have order everything to build me a small 250 quad. The frame kit is the tarot tl250c from hobbyking. Dhl express so hopefully its here tomorrow. I am supper freaking excited about it!!

ernstock

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:30:15 pm »
Ha !
That's it. You've come over to the acro side !
No going back now.
And happy birthday !

jtrout19

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 12:06:00 am »
Lol yeah so my next question is do the majority of crashes break something?  I know im gonna crash thats just part of it just wondering how much the average crash costs? My foam sailplanes are not that expensive so yeah......lol

ernstock

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:51 pm »
Crash mitigation :
DAL props and 22xx size motors.
4 mm baseplate on frame.
Few spare vtx antennae
(I make my own for about 1/2 ukĀ£ each)
Camera stuffed as deep inside frame as poss.
Rx antennae protected.
Fly (and crash) over grass if possible.

jtrout19

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:02 pm »
Right on thanks for the tips. Dhl says my stuff is going to be here today waiting anxoiusly by the door....lol will post pictures one i get it built

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 12:32:36 pm »
So i was sitting here thinking about some things and figured I would bring it to you guys. It seems to me I see alot more people with smaller quads like 250 and such then people with larger quads. Why is that. I enjoy my 500 size quad alot more than any of the tiny ones ive flown. Same goes for planes with me. I like planes with Wingspans no smaller than 70in. To me they are just more enjoyable to fly. So what do you guys think why are smaller quads more popular?
I've done it all.  For me,  smaller quads are much more convenient and enable  me to get more flying in with less hassle. I also can fly them more places and thus closer to home, so it's easier to get in a quick flight or two.

My current favorites are a 190 Mixuko Pod and a Morphite 155 by Armattan. The 250 barely gets any action now, neither do my larger tri and aerial quad.

jtrout19

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:01 pm »
I live in a rural area so flying is not a problem for me. I finally have my 250 built have not flown it yet. I have a dste with it tonight

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 04:19:13 pm »
Can't find many pros for larger copters more than can lift more and longer flight time. Their sole purpose is larger camera platforms and long range FPV.
Many of us old timers in FPV have larger machines since the 250 ones didn't exist back then, its really the only reason.
The smaller ones are way way faster and more agile. They are also much more durable in crashes and has less things that can cause problems.(not as sensitive to propeller balance for example)

Since I built my 250 racers and 300 film machine the larger ones have basically just been collecting dust. They feel heavy and slow in comeuppance. Feel no purpose of them any more. This summer me and my friend started up our old 450 TBS Disco quads for a gag tho, did some long range FPV and such, but man did they feel incredibly heavy and slow to maneuver compared to what we are used to now. We ended up trying to find some use for them and it turned out the best thing was gardening as we tried to cut down a ugly branch 10 meters up in a tree by ramming it with them. :)