Very high maximum degrees per second vs acro+
« on: December 16, 2015, 03:55:20 pm »
Hello,

I've been trying a bit of acro+ recently and it's quite fun to fly.

I was wondering if a similar effect could be achieved by setting Rate mode response and Max rate limit to say 1800deg/s and having some expo on both axes. Would that even work as expected (can you set the limits to high and are they respected? - it seems to be set to 800 max in the basic pane)

ernstock

Re: Very high maximum degrees per second vs acro+
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:37:40 pm »
Hmmm , interesting topic .
It's my (beginner) understanding that the rate mode is the "same" for flying in rate or acro.
The acro factor adjusts how happy the multi rotor is to flip / roll ( poss it disconnects gyros?) .
Have recently adjusted the throttle curve on my tx so that I have less travel of throttle stick - it's like cheap 4s !
What rates do you have set in yr acro settings / what do you fly ?
Cheers

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »
I fly a 220 frame with a 3s battery.

Rate mode response:
Roll = Pitch = 500
Yaw = 600

Max rate limit:
Roll = Pitch = 500
Yaw = 600

Acro+:
Roll Factor = Pitch Factor = 40

---

I'm wondering if you can make your quad hyper sensitive with very high rate response / limit, but dampen the sensitivity with some expo. Tried browsing the codebase (with my vague understanding of it all), but did not find any hard limits on the response. I hope some devs can reply. :)

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:12:06 pm »
You can use Acro+ and keep a "normal" rate response like 120°/s or higher and add some expo. (Stabilization tab)

Around stick center quad react like a normal rate and when you put stick around limits the quad go to manual. Acro+ do not have any rate limitation with full stick, the only stuff that limit is hardware / motors / props.

If you want more "manual weight" with sticks, increase Acro+ factor.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:25:08 pm »
@f5soh Thanks for the response.

1. Assuming I'd like to use rate without acro+, but have the ability to do some crazy rolls - is there a rate response limit of any kind or is that limited by the hardware too? Basic tab does not allow me to go further than 800deg/s, however I can set it to some crazy values in advanced. Is that respected?

2. Is there a way to control when acro+ kicks in? Like with rattitude mode transition?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »
Try to increase and find the hardware limits, in this case you should add more expo :)

Rattitude is Rate + Attitude, you can also reduce the rattitude mode transition (80 default)  to 30 so you only get attitude mode when sticks are around center.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:34:49 pm »
Oh yes, I know about rattitude. I did notice though, that there's a setting that allows you to specify when rate should be used - Mode transition. Is there a similar setting for the acro+ mode?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:01 pm »
Mode transition. Is there a similar setting for the acro+ mode?

Acro+ factor, from Rate mode to Manual mode

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:12 pm »
But the description of rattitude Mode transition says that it controls at what stick deflection attitude will transition into rate.

For acro+, factors apparently set the manual control blending. There's nothing there about the stick deflection. Is it hardcoded to some arbitrary value (% of stick deflection)?

@f5soh - I promise this is my last question. :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:05:49 pm by muchzill4 »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 11:46:09 pm »
Higher Acro+ factor value give more weight to Manual mode, no stick level but in fact bigger values do more Manual instead of rate

ernstock

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 08:33:10 pm »

I fly a 220 frame with a 3s battery.

Rate mode response:
Roll = Pitch = 500
Yaw = 600

Max rate limit:
Roll = Pitch = 500
Yaw = 600

Acro+:
Roll Factor = Pitch Factor = 40

---
I'm flying a 250 , fpv ,
Roll and pitch 360
Yaw 500
Acro 55

These settings are with zero expo.
-does make it a bit twitchy but it's what works for me.
Even managed a bit of inverted free fall and recovery today !
( I think this is where 4s and beefier motors comes into play - 4s is not just about faster speeds , is it also about faster recovery ?)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:37:47 pm »
Acro+ is basically a curve from Rate mode at center stick to "less limited Rate mode" at full stick.  The higher the insanity factor, the less limiting is done at full stick and the faster it flips.

In theory, it would be about the same to have a very high Rate mode rate with Expo and to use Acro+ with a lower Rate mode rate.  Acro+ has an additional piece of code in it though.  When spinning fast, and you release the stick, Acro+ zeros the 'I' term accumulator which allows it to stop more quickly.

Be aware that the default setting for max gyro sensor is 2000 degrees per second.  If you ever go faster than that, you have confused it so that it doesn't know which way is up any more.  That means that if you quickly change to Attitude mode, it may still be confused and it will not be level, perhaps even completely upside down.  Also any gimbal you have will not be level (if it survived the 2100 degrees per second :) ).  Rattitude and GPS modes require Attitude mode, so they are affected as well.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »
Thanks for your input @TheOtherCliff.

So I've tried setting Rate mode response to something above the basic slider 800 max value. I did set it to 900 on both roll and pitch, but on the save and reconnect the pitch value went back to 800deg/s. Seems that only roll accepted the value of 900. Is there a reason for that?

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 08:31:56 pm »
That doesn't sound right.

You can set the values in System -> Settings -> StabilizationSettingsBank1 (or 2 or 3) -> ManualRate/MaximumRate

MaximumRate is the limit for everything
ManualRate is the Rate mode Rate

After changing the value, highlight the value and press the red up arrow at the top of the screen to save permanently.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 10:55:14 pm »
@TheOtherCliff

Thanks for that - helped to investigate a bit further.

I'm able to set 900deg/s on both roll and pitch, but after reconnect the advanced tab does a "soft" reset of the pitch field to 800deg/s.
By soft reset I mean that the value in System -> Settings still shows 900deg/s, so the value shown in advanced tab is not true.

This however is a bit problematic, because after I press save in the advanced tab it sets pitch to whatever is displayed in the pitch field (it will no longer be 900deg/s, but become 800deg/s).

So it seems that you're able to set it to whatever deg/s you want, but there's a bug that displays the wrong value in GCS.

I hope I explained that clearly enough.

edit:
I have found some QSpinBox maximum values set to 800 in ground/gcs/plugins/config/stabilization.ui. I have little knowledge of this, but maybe that's where the problem lies? don't mind my debugging - I'm wrong ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:17:27 pm by muchzill4 »