Re: ESC Recomendations Please.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 04:10:33 am »
I was recently flying one of my 250 quads like this - front props were DAL T5045 (3 blade)
one rear was RaceKraft 5051 (3 blade) and the other rear was 2 blade 6 inch bullnose.

Escs are 3 different brands/generations, DYS blheli_s, littlebee blheli_s and littlebee (regular), I am unsure of exact configuration, but they did run mix of protocols (DShot and OneShot125).
ce. If any. Thats my personal opinion.

Indeed I thought about explaining that you could, but that there were limitations and wobbles.  You don't notice this much on a well tuned (PID) multicopter, more so for someone running default tuning on an underpowered one.

The stabilization code may add 10us to both left side motors, but if the motors are different, one motor may reply with more power which will cause a slight wobble while stabilization figures it out.  Well tuned PIDs will handle this better.

There is a video floating around that shows someone hooking an extra battery below a motor during flight and it handles it.  That is the equivalent of that motor being underpowered.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 01:50:41 am »
I just ordered some of the ESCs you had problems with.

I should have them flashed and installed in about a month or so.  I will post once I have some good hard flights on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-HP-SimonK-30A-ESC-Brushless-Speed-Controller-BEC-2A-for-Quadcopter-F450-S500/281523844780

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:01 am »
Cliff, we will soon rename you to TheOtherSimonK :P

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:18 am »
I just don't see recommending to spend more money than necessary.  I'm happy with BLHeli too if I can get them for $4 each.  ;)

Mainly I want to avoid recommending them if I can recreate a problem.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 11:52:29 am »
I see no problem in recommending more expensive stuff if it makes sense. After all, it is not all that more expensive - even if you say the price is double, it is still $4 only. And they are smaller, more reliable, less heat and support dshot (means no calibration). What is there to think about? :)

robertr

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2018, 09:28:29 pm »
I just ordered some of the ESCs you had problems with.

I should have them flashed and installed in about a month or so.  I will post once I have some good hard flights on them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-HP-SimonK-30A-ESC-Brushless-Speed-Controller-BEC-2A-for-Quadcopter-F450-S500/281523844780
Those are the ones, I had a couple flights since my last post, a couple crashes and they are still working. I made sure to disarm before hitting the ground.
 I did order the Racerstar esc's in 30 amp Mr_w recommended along with the usb programmer just in case I need it.
 When they arrive I will install them and have three spare SimonK esc's for my 550 quad, they seem to work good on it, at least hovering in my living room.
 Thanks again guys. Robert.