troll

Taranis X8R SBus failsafe question
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:09:20 pm »
Hello, LibrePilot team

I have the question cannot realize how to figure out.
My setup is: flying wing with Revo + Taranis X8R conected via SBus + LP version 16.09

So, I set up a failsafe mode for X8R as described in manual: select custom mode on TX, put each control to desired position and press set.
After my TX shuts down, the all bars including throttle in Input tab of LP goes to maximum! The failsafe settings on input tab doesn't have effect. It means my vehicle will fly away very fast when connection lost.
My goal is set failsafe to desired position in LP and have RTH...

Please consult. It looks as critical issue....

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Taranis X8R SBus failsafe question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16:14 pm »
There is two failsafes:

- The one from receiver (that seems not working) where you can set all stick positions, Throttle and flightmode (for RTH)
- other from board, this may happens when the connection./signal between receiver and board is lost.

Try shutdown you Rc Tx and look at SystemHealth the INPUT alarm:
- If Green, the receiver signal still valid so the values coming to the board are from your receiver
- If Orange: there is a OnBoard failsafe and values set in Failsafe tab are applied.

troll

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:33:20 pm »
Thanks!

The INPUT indicator became orange when TX shut down.
So, it is a problem with my RX settings, correct? But I'd followed instructions to set a failsafe. And I'm pretty sure it works for Taranis.
Strange situation, but any way I could resolve it by choosing proper Fly Mode in LP failsafe settings.

Thanks for Your explanations.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:17:43 am »
Maybe you setup the receiver for a "no-pulse" output (option 2) that trigger the failsafe / Orange Input alarm ?

ptbh

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:24:00 am »
I am having a similar problem setting up failsafe with a Frysky X4RSB connected to a Revo with 16.09 firmware.  S-Bus is  used for control.

I've followed the instructions in the X4RSB manual for both desired failsafe positions and no pulse.  The flight controller behaves the same for both.  I've also tried setting the failsafe of the RX using the Taranis TX without success too.  I suspect the RX is defaulting to no pulse (for S-Bus) even if desired failsafe positions have been selected.

When the TX is off, the INPUT button on the flight data page is orange and the Receiver Status Quality on the System page is 0%.  The receiver activity ActiveChannel is 255.  On the Remote Control Input page all inputs are showing max value, in my case 1811.  The flightmode always changes to Pos 6 no matter what the failsafe flight mode position is set to.

How can I tell if it has switched to failsafe mode and taken on board the failsafe settings?  Should the Remote Control Input reflect the failsafe when failsafe is entered?  Similarly, should the Flight Mode Switch position go to the failsafe position?

Any help/guidance on this would be appreciated.

Additional Info: Just attached a servo to channel 1 of the X4RSB.  If a desired throttle failsafe setting is set, the servo will go to that position when the TX is switched off.  If set to no pulse, the servo does not move when the TX is switched off.  However, a lost model sounder that is attached to channel 2 starts to beep.  I also tried disconnecting the SBUS line from the Revo whilst the TX and RX were on.  Same effect as turning the TX off.  My suspicion is that the desired failsafe positions only work for the PPM servo outputs and not the SBUS output on this RX .

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:47:50 am by ptbh »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 12:57:19 am »
When the TX is off, the INPUT button on the flight data page is orange and the Receiver Status Quality on the System page is 0%.  The receiver activity ActiveChannel is 255.  On the Remote Control Input page all inputs are showing max value, in my case 1811.  The flightmode always changes to Pos 6 no matter what the failsafe flight mode position is set to.

When SystemHealth INPUT alarm is orange, the board is in failsafe state and uses the settings you set in failsafe tab. (channels and flightmode)
Preferred option is no pulse, that avoid flyaway when connection is lost.

Check the failsafe behavior looking at PFD and the left panel that shows RC input.
When in failsafe the Config > Input tab show all to maximum and values are applied ignoring the inputs, because not valid.

ptbh

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:36:46 pm »
Thank you f5soh for the clarification.  My concern was that on the 'Fight Mode Switch Settings' tab the slider always jumps to position 6 when the TX is switched off, even when the failsafe setting is a different switch position.  So, I should ignore this in the same way that I should ignore the 'Remote Control Input' tab info when the TX is switched off.

What is interesting though, and this may be a bug, when I do switch the TX off the System Health Input button goes orange whereas the RC Input on the PFD stays green (see image).  Can I assume that when the Input button on the System Health is orange the flight controller is in failsafe mode and the settings on the Failsafe Settings tab will be used?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:53:01 pm »
SystemHealth - INPUT alarm refers to the receiver alarm
PFD - RC Input status refers to ManualControl alarm so one step forward in input chain.

Can I assume that when the Input button on the System Health is orange the flight controller is in failsafe mode and the settings on the Failsafe Settings tab will be used?
Yes, or check if the stick displayed in the PFD - RCinput left panel matches the failsafe settings.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/PFD#PFD-RcInputpanel

You can also check the Flightmode displayed in PFD when in failsafe.