Pertti

Re: Assisted control in Velocity Roam
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 09:15:44 pm »
Now I moved the antenna forward and removed the camera. That improved the GPS hold performance.
Howering was accurate, vertically less than 0.3 meters and horizontally less than 1 meter.
Now the telemetry is on. If I put 0 mW  power to the transmitter , does  it switch  it off? I don't want  to destroy  the transmitter by removing the antenna.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »
Yes if you put 0w to the transmitter its off. But save first and then power off your board. I think its still powered on if you only hit save without restarting the board...
Hardware: F450 Frame--Revolution Board--EMax 2213-935kv--BullTec 30A Opto--5000mAh 3S 30C LiPo--NEO M8N GPS+MAG--Fr Sky Taranis Plus + OPLink Mini
Addon: sj5000x + two axis gimbal + minimosd + eachine VT + easycap
Software: Black Rhino, LP2GO

Stanfr0

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Sounds like you have it mounted with the arrow pointing backwards.  :)  In that case, the 180 yaw is fine.

It is confusing that the cable comes out the front of this GPS.

Is this also the case with the Ubox? I couldn't get mine to calibrate until I set the offsets to 180,0,180. The drone now hovers precisely over the same spot but seems to vary altitude allot. I have only had three test flights. On two of them the drone veered off violently after about 10 minutes of stable flight in hover. Could this be a voltage issue (Approx 10.5 volts 3S battery)?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:27 pm »
I couldn't get mine to calibrate until I set the offsets to 180,0,180.
There is no relation between AuxMag orientation and correct calibration.
When you do the Mag calibration you need to need to cover all the 3D space while rotating the frame, whatever the AuxMag orientation.

Can you post your config file ? File > Export UAV Settings

Stanfr0

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 10:35:13 pm »
I couldn't get mine to calibrate until I set the offsets to 180,0,180.
There is no relation between AuxMag orientation and correct calibration.
When you do the Mag calibration you need to need to cover all the 3D space while rotating the frame, whatever the AuxMag orientation.

Can you post your config file ? File > Export UAV Settings

Thank you for helping out, are these the data you requested?

Regards,

Robert

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »
Your settings looks good.
Maybe a GPS glitch occurred.

Stanfr0

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 11:23:39 pm »
Thank you for taking a look, I'm hoping to fly again tomorrow. Hopefully we won't crash.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 11:38:03 pm »
Take a look here
And change the GPSSettings > UbxDynamicModel to AirBorne4G using UAVOBrowser
Save settings using the button with a red arrow.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 12:10:01 am »
OP Platinum GPS (the one with mag included) and DJI both use aux mag orientation = 0,0,0 if the arrow on the GPS is correctly pointing forward.  Note that the arrow does not always match where the cable comes out of the GPS.  For instance, authentic DJI GPS has arrow on same side as cable which seems backwards, but is actually a good thing if you think about it.

uBlox GPS with aux mag usually needs aux mag orientation = 180,0,180 = 0,180,0 if the arrow on the GPS is correctly pointing forward.

If arrow on GPS points some other way, you need to adjust orientation numbers (only the last number of the 3).

Stanfr0

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 12:50:06 am »
Take a look here
And change the GPSSettings > UbxDynamicModel to AirBorne4G using UAVOBrowser
Save settings using the button with a red arrow.

That is really interesting as both times that I experienced the issue I was in the proximity of buildings. The first time was in front of a large metal barn and the second was in my enclosed back garden. The time i didn't have an issue was in an open field. I will experiment with the settings and report back

Thanks again,

Rob

Stanfr0

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 12:54:50 am »
OP Platinum GPS (the one with mag included) and DJI both use aux mag orientation = 0,0,0 if the arrow on the GPS is correctly pointing forward.  Note that the arrow does not always match where the cable comes out of the GPS.  For instance, authentic DJI GPS has arrow on same side as cable which seems backwards, but is actually a good thing if you think about it.

uBlox GPS with aux mag usually needs aux mag orientation = 180,0,180 = 0,180,0 if the arrow on the GPS is correctly pointing forward.

If arrow on GPS points some other way, you need to adjust orientation numbers (only the last number of the 3).

Thank you cliff,

You have confirmed my configuration so one less thing to worry about.

Best regards

Rob

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 01:14:22 am »
That is really interesting as both times that I experienced the issue I was in the proximity of buildings. The first time was in front of a large metal barn and the second was in my enclosed back garden. The time i didn't have an issue was in an open field. I will experiment with the settings and report back

It is a known issue that GPS's have problems in situations like that.  It helps somewhat to let the GPS "warm up" (download almanac) out in the open for 15 minutes before the first flight of the day.  After that, you can get away with a much shorter (3 minutes?) warm up.

It's far better to avoid flying near buildings, especially those with metal roofs.  I fly in my back yard (non-metal roof).  I generally don't get so close to a building that the (non-metal) roof top is 45 degrees or higher above the horizon.  Between two buildings I would avoid places where the roofs were more than 30 degrees above the horizon.  I completely avoid metal roofs (100m away from a typical metal barn roof).

Stanfr0

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 01:00:14 am »

It is a known issue that GPS's have problems in situations like that.  It helps somewhat to let the GPS "warm up" (download almanac) out in the open for 15 minutes before the first flight of the day.  After that, you can get away with a much shorter (3 minutes?) warm up.

It's far better to avoid flying near buildings, especially those with metal roofs.  I fly in my back yard (non-metal roof).  I generally don't get so close to a building that the (non-metal) roof top is 45 degrees or higher above the horizon.  Between two buildings I would avoid places where the roofs were more than 30 degrees above the horizon.  I completely avoid metal roofs (100m away from a typical metal barn roof).

I took it out yesterday but there was an issue with the GPS being recognised. I stripped everything down tonight and checked the connections. I couldn't find any issues but its working OK now. I probably won't get to fly until the weekend, weather permitting.

Thanks again for all the help.

Stanfr0

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Thanks for your help everyone, I flew today and no issues.
I am getting some strange behaviour when the 3S lipo gets down to around 10v but no uncontrolled fly aways.

Thanks again.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 01:02:50 am »
Two things:
#1 and most important, don't fly a 3S lipo  down to 10 volts.  3.5 per cell on the lowest cell is bare minimum and that is only if you have an alarm that reads individual cell voltages, not just total voltage.  If you over discharge a lipo a few times it gets bad, then worse and worse.

#2 is that when a multicopter gets close to "barely able to stay in the air" it does bad things because it cannot stabilize if all motors must run 100% just to stay in the air.