CC3D and Revo Compatibility with Turnigy 9x
« on: July 18, 2016, 01:27:50 am »
I am a newbie on a continuing search.  Can someone help?  Will my Turnigy 9x with 9x 8c v2 receiver work with the CC3D units?  I have been at a loss trying to make contact.  My TX and RX have been bound.  The receiver is powered.  Thats the only thing I can attest too.  I have made numerous wiring changes from the rx and input on the cc3d but not sure what goes where.  I have an older cc3d and the newer redo as well but no luck with either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

humayraykinaon

• Mr. PostMan
Re: CC3D and Revo Compatibility with Turnigy 9x
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:29:29 am »
I have a 9X but with FrSky DJT module so I can use PPM but, yours should work for you unless your transmitter is set to heli and not airplane mode?
<=--| Minpin115 | Spadger150 | Spedix180 |--=>

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:02 am »
How do you have the control wires run from the rx to the cc3d input?  I either don't have the tx set properly or rx wired incorrectly.  Maybe even both!

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:40:55 am »
I am trying to setup a quad not airplane!  Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 03:32:30 pm »
Information on how to connect your RX to FC can be found here: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/CC+Hardware+Configuration

Most likely you want to use PWM configuration, the one with many wires, if your RX supports PPM you can select PPM+OneShot option and a have less wires connected.

If you go trough vehicle setup wizard, it will also generate a wiring diagram.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 04:31:26 pm »
I looked at that page you refer too and wired it up to what I believed was correct.  When setting up a model in the turnigy 9x it gives a choice of PPM or PCM.  I have seen nothing that identifies PCM other than in this radio setup.  I was under the impression that the receiver was setup for the radio and PPM.  How can I determine if the radio communicates with the board?  Is there a meter that provide signal strength are some output id?  At the bottom of the page on the cc3d setup there is a rx / tx meter box.  The rx is maxed out but the tx never shows more than 1 bar.  This never changes.

I need to know if everything I am working with is compatible  with each other.  Most of the wiring diagrams just show the wiring harness attaching to the receiver and not where each individual wire is being connected.   

Thanks for your input!

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
PWM, one wire per channel is fine too, however the turnigy 9x doesn't mention pwm?

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 04:56:12 pm »
Those Rx and Tx bars on the bottom of the GCS are telemetry communication speeds and have nothing to do with the radio receiver configuration. The Tx bar will jump up for example when you save settings to the FC, the Rx bar is indicating that the FC is talking back to the computer and sending telemetry.

PPM stands for Pulse Position Modulation and PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation and from what I understand this setting is referring to the way that the 9X is communicating with its radio module so I'm guessing that should be set to PPM.

You say, that your Rx and Tx are bound, which means you should be getting PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signals on the 8 outputs on your Rx. You can verify that the outputs are working by connecting a servo or an ESC to them, moving Tx sticks should be reflected by something happening on the other side.

I can't say which Output maps to what stick or switch on the Tx (refer to the 9X manual I guess) but connecting Rx outputs 1 to 6 to FC inputs 1 to 6 is a safe bet, then run the Tx setup wizard in the GCS and let it figure out what channel maps to what function.

Try to get it to work and if you fail post a screenshot of the Input config page and your wireing, so we can spot possible mistakes.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »
Thank you!  I will let you know how it works out.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 06:56:40 am »
 :)Yeppppp!  I made communication with the FC.  I suppose the PPM mode in the Turnigy 9x gets converted somewhere along the line to PWM.  I wired the unit as PWM.  I had to make a few attempts to get the controller to communicate the functions correctly.  I now have throttle, yaw, pitch, and roll.  I did notice when starting the motors they seem to run away.  The thrust begins to drift higher and I have to shut it down.  I am going to adjust the throttle curve and see if it will calm down.  Any thoughts as to what is causing the issue?

Thanks.....   

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 10:20:38 am »
I did notice when starting the motors they seem to run away.  The thrust begins to drift higher and I have to shut it down.  I am going to adjust the throttle curve and see if it will calm down.  Any thoughts as to what is causing the issue?

I'm assuming you're testing on the ground with propellers detached (as you should be as they can give you a nasty cut), you arm the copter, give it a little throttle and the thing start winding up.

This is happening due to the copter siting ever so slightly not level, so the controller tries to compensate by spinning up motors on one side. And because no propellers are attached, nothing happens, so the controller tries to compensate more and more, making the motors spin up.

Adjusting the throttle curve won't do much in a way of reducing this effect.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:21:26 pm »
That makes sense.  I had the props on but the motors were still racing up.  Only 3 motors running, one is bad and waiting for replacement.  The fact only 3 motors were running will cause the same problem want it?

Thanks

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 05:03:21 pm »
Given, that the copter wasn't moving or taking of yet, yes motors should still start winding up.