Problems with Motor Verification in LP Setup
« on: July 14, 2016, 06:02:09 am »
Just installed a Revolution and completed the upgrade.  Communication seems ok however the unit continues to blink blue then yellow.  When setting up the aircraft (small 250 quad), I am not able to complete the motor verification.  Even though the sliders move and the numbers change none of the motors rotate. Additionally there is a beeping sound coming from the ESC's when battery is connected.  Each time it beeps the number one motor will move slightly.  Some of these functions may be normal but I am only speculating.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Re: Problems with Motor Verification in LP Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:47:47 am »
The LED blinking pattern signifies an alarm state, which is normal during the setup, while some things are still not configured.

Most ESCs first need to confirm zero throttle signal before they become armed and ready to run (safety feature), beeping (and motor twiching) in your case is most likely ESC comlaining about that.

Try Output calibration again.
It's usually something like this: Start with battery disconnected -> Set outputs to full throttle -> Wait for some beeps (refer to ESC manual for exactly what and how many beeps) -> Set outputs to minimum -> Wait for some more beeps -> Disconnect and reconnect the battery -> Should be working now.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »
I am still a little confused.  When attempting to upgrade the esc's, I don't believe the beep ever takes place.  The beep when the battery is attached creates such a loud noise nothing else can be heard.  Also I don't find anything that shows progress, which esc is being tested unless all are tested at the same time.  Is the beep the only indication that the esc calibration/update is done?

Do I need to have the radio up and running before completing the aircraft setup?

Last, do you know of a sight that can show step by step actions that need to be taken when setting up a simple cc3d and radio receiver, no gps etc? 

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:49:23 pm »
You don't need to upgrade firmware on your ESCs, you just need to do the throttle calibration, so they know what signals to expect.
Beeps are more or less the only way in which ESCs communicate with the user, GCS only shows what signal it's sending to the ESCs and nothing more.

This depends on the kind of ESCs being used, but all the ESCs I've come across do some short "hey I'm alive" beeps when they get connected to the battery.
Possible following beeps can signify that zero throttle signal hasn't been received or that programming mode has been enterd (again refer to the ESC manual for details).
I haven't had an ESC that beeps during it's firmware upgrade procedure, so that's normal.

The noisy beep you described might signify faulty ESCs.
Some ESCs can produce a decently loud beep, but as you described it: "...such a loud noise nothing else can be heard." is a bit hard to believe (try using an angel grinder for half an hour, that's loud ;) ).
Healthy ESCs make nice consistent beeps and not some random rubbish.

You don't need to have the radio set up complete to get the motors set up.

For a basic setup, if you follow trough the vehicle setup wizard and your hardware is in working order you should be good.

I know of a site, it's called YouTube :) here's a link for a playlist that might be very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsWjANuAm4r-E61stLchCR4bzY3NmDNh

Also there's LibrePilot Wiki:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/User+Manual

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 02:27:08 am »
Thanks, I will review the you tube sight.  I believe it's an operator issue due to me being new to building drones.  As far as ESC's, I purchased a kit with 4 motors and 4 esc's.  There is little documentation regarding esc's other than 10 amp.  No reference was made to hertz so when entering info on the esc page their are several choices.  I will try they all.  Something has to work.  LD Power is the company that build the equipment.

Thanks again for your help.  I may call on you again if that is ok with you?

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:54 am »
About the hertz value, it defines how fast commands are sent to the ESCs, if you can get it to work, OneShot125 is what you want, but usually PWM at 490Hz is a safe bet. If nothing else works 50Hz PWM should, but that limits the stability quite a bit as the motors don't get corrections fast enough.

If questions arise, try googling first, someone probably had similar problems in the past, but if you don't find the answer, feel free to ask away.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 05:56:33 pm »
I believe I have an issue with hardware.  I can't clear the beeping sound created when the battery is installed.  The controller continues to show the blue and yellow blinking led's.  I have a non revolution cc3d that I setup and the exact same scenario occurs.  None of the videos I have watched had a condition where a beep was present when battery was installed.  I am going to remove the esc's and setup a tri-copter vehicle.  This will allow me to interchange each one at a time.  If there is only bad item I might be able to flush it out. 

I will keep you posted!

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 07:02:14 pm »
OK, I believe the beep is coming from each of the motors not the esc's.  I removed each motor and esc individually.  The chirp/beep and motor twitching are connected.  This leads me back to a programing issue.  The odd thing is I used a Revolution and the older cc3d with the same results.  Both units have their own latest upgrade.  Motors just will not spin when attempting to do setup.  Yellow led on FC continues to blink with the blue one.  This was consistent in both units.

What do you believe is a good next step? 

Thanks

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »
ESCs are using motors as speakers.

Again as said, some short beeps when ESCs get power are normal, ESCs way of saying it's alive, but then it should stop if valid zero throttle signal is received.

Can you elaborate what kind of beeps are you getting? Short, long, pulsing, melody,...?

For example, my BLHeli flashed Afro 12A ESCs upon power up beep as follows: Three short beeps tones going Low-mid-high, the I'm alive signal followed by two longer Low-High beeps signaling that zero throttle signal has been detected an it's ready to run.
I have some other ESCs, that will then proceed to pulse short beeps if throttle signal is above zero throttle until zero throttle signal gets received.

I still think you haven't calibrated your ESCs, have you done anything in that direction?
Also I just remembered this page exists: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 11:25:33 pm »
I believe the issue has been found but would like other opinions.  I found 2 issues 1 has been fixed.  The esc control wire to the FC was backwards.  Interestingly I fits better the other direction.  Thats the reason I pleased it there.  However when troubleshooting everything is suspicious.  The continuous beeping has gone away and was able to verify motors.  Issue 2 is my third motor.  When attempting to verify operation it would oscillate, jump, and act weird.  I switched it with motor 1 (same direction), and number 1 motor worked fine on channel 3 but motor 3 still had the issue on channel 1.  Although I have read that channel 3 has offered some anomalies this appears to be a bad motor.

Are there other opinions?  If it's bad I want to move forward in replacing it.

Thanks for any feedback!

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 01:04:57 am »
Lol, wired backwards :D
At least you didn't wire the battery backwards like I did once, frying two ESCs while having only one spare.

When attempting to verify operation it would oscillate, jump, and act weird.

FC outputs seem to be working fine.

Sounds like a motor with one of its windings broken. Did you try to run the offending motor on a different ESC?
You can also try to measure the resistance (if you have a multimeter) between all three wires, it should read the same for all 3 possible combinations.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 03:59:49 pm »
I did switch the motor position.  Move this motor to the opposite side.  Operation was the same.  The other motor worked just fine on the esc associated with the suspected bad one.  Will ohm out the windings today.  Last, how does the Revo get it's power?  The flexi-O input shows to output power to the Rx.  Unfortunately I don't get any voltage from the red and black wires.  No where have I read or reviewed on drawings and such, where power is connected from the battery.  I was assuming it made it's way through the control wire from the esc.  This is also puzzling.

Thanks for your input!

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
Revo usually gets its power, which then goes trough it to a receiver and other peripherals, from one of the ESCs.

If your ESCs don't output 5V power on the signal connector, you'll need an external regulator 5V.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »
When measuring the voltage from the esc to the cc3d, is measures 1.6 v.  The esc's are 10A LD Power (manufacture).  The batteries are charged (11.1v).  This is getting more complicated.  You mentioned a regulator.  Where do I find something that will provide that need?

That you for your time, I didn't expect to take this much of it!

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 08:02:44 pm »
I found this on e-bay below.  Looks like it will work.  Question, if the esc is only providing 1.6 volts, how much voltage is required to operate the cc3d.  It appears that I would have to place the regulator between the cc3d signal wire and esc to provide more voltage to the cc3d.  Will that work?  Last when disconnecting from USB the cc3d appears not to be powered when battery is attached.  No green led.

Receiver Power Supply 5V/3A Brushless ESC External BEC UBEC 3A 5V for 2-6S