TX/RX and general compatibility
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:05 am »
When started in to this hobby i was anxious and impatient(still am) And i bought what i could afford to start up. i had nothing but the toy type crafts and minis that led me to where i am now. So i needed everything, as i shopped i became overwelmed at the costs. But found a starter kit a little over 150us with everything. it had TX/RX battery/charger(take a full 24 hrs to charger a 1300mah :-\) and build kit with the motors,esc,frame and so on. struggling with the programming is what led me to the forums. And i have been glad i came her ever since. With so many helpful friends and fellow flyers. Now that im figurering some thinggs out pretty good. Ive out grown my TX and RX i believe. I have a flysky i6 which came with a fs-i6a. Its been great but i know now its the very bottom of the top. I know also my rceiver is very limited to not much for than flight. No ppm amongst other things. What i want to know from my friends here is where do i go from here? I only want to buy one more TX so price isnt thhat big a thing,i can save up if needs be. but im sick and tired of buying things and nothing being compatable. I want to be able to use all functions and not be limited. In the mean time i have ordered a fs-ia6b which clains to support ppm. but i still want to move up with my Tx. i use all the FCs from time to time. aAnd i want an RX that does it all as well. Thanks friends have a great sunday all
ωʉɱ ∞

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: TX/RX and general compatibility
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:31:14 am »
I think the Taranis from Frsky is a good choice, slider, knobs and Companion software for computer.
Sdcard storage, voices...
And small receivers with PPM or Sbus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:55:21 am »
Thanks. Those are expensive but i dont mind as long as i dont have to keep buying add-ons to make things work and so forth. When i find the one i like i would like to post a picture or a link and you can give the thumbs up or down. thamks again
ωʉɱ ∞

jbarchuk

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:02:17 am »
I have a flysky i6 which came with a fs-i6a. Its been great but i know now its the very bottom of the top. I know also my rceiver is very limited to not much for than flight. No ppm amongst other things. What i want to know from my friends here is where do i go from here?

The answer to that last single question is a question: what do you want to do? (If you want PPM get nothing more than a $15 PWM-PPM converter.)

90% of what you will probably do further with multis is done in the FC not the TX.

What do you want to do 'more than flight?' Flight requires pitch, roll, yaw and throttle. Two more channels on a two and a 3 position switch give you six flight modes.

For tuning rather than flight modes copy the 'flying' model that you're working on to another model, and reprogram those channels to sliders to do OpTune or whatever. Again, the info gained from OpTuning is programmed back into the FC not the Tx. Then change the aircraft's bind back to the 'flying' model in the Tx and off you go.

I got started with fixed wings. Six years ago I got  Futaba 8FG. Only one plane I've had so far uses all eight channels. Even that I could have done with 6 but the 8 gae me more variability for the application I needed. Then later a firmware upgrade kicked the channels up to 14. No multirotor needs 14 channels. :) I have no plans or needs to get another Tx because I started at the top. :)

Do you fly with other people who have other radios? Or go to a hobby shop and ask to handle a couple of them. The 'feel' difference between various $400, $200 and $100 radios is the difference between upholstery leather, cloth, and plastic. Personally I prefer leather. :)

Besides 'feel' the only other real difference between radio 'levels' is model memory. The 20 in your Flysky is a bunch. The 8FG has an SD card which means essentially unlimited models, though I doubt I'll ever have that many. ;) I *do* use a lot of models, many times 2 or 3 per vehicle to try different configs. I do that because it's easy and I -can- do it, not because it's necessary.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:49:10 am »
dang....i had to read that slow and again. and i will prob have to refer back again.lol but i do think i get it. let me try and see if i got it right. bind the same reciever to multiple models on the tx even though its the same model. because the tx and model dont know. and o gain more flight modes? and once i can get ppm( which ive ordered the older ia6b reciever which says it supports ppm. and i will have 5 open channels to do whatever i want with? i really dont know the tx i have well brcause it came without a manual and the videos dont go deep enough for me to understand. i have been letting GCS really tell my tx what to do and havent been utililizing the tx very deeply. you have to understand that i was a field service engineer for Ford senior master in electronics and module communication and programming for 12 years. And Ford trains you their way, about their stuff period. every other company ive worked for honors it without question. But i must say it hasnt helped me much with this... maybe even hurt in some ways making me think i know it all ;) but i love new challenges. and thats why i stepped away from Ford. it became mundan. I have only been doing RC for a few months now. and i have completed 6 really awesome models but i cant say i didnt struggle and get angry. And i sure couldnt have done it without the forums. i was reluctant to come here but glad i did. Ford has forums as well for techs and i guess thats what made me reluctant. Their forums can get you in trouble lol and some of the braggers on the forums would wind up costing techs across the country money by reducing flag hours on jobs that once paid well. that was great information friend and i thank you. I really like the people here.
ωʉɱ ∞