Jhinta

Re: Revo AuxMag
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »
Morning all,
    I received this GPS from Ebay yesterday. The mag chip is rotated 90 degrees clockwise, what do you type in mag orientation to make it correct to face front, +90?

Also two of the wires are not soldered in?  Before I write the Ebay vendor , I am pretty sure I need at least the ground wire soldered in.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Steve
Site info of seller ? And you souls be abale to just connect the wires . plus minus RX and tx . you already know where ground is so

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D855 met Tapatalk

« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »

Here is the seller,  should I rotate the Yaw of my orientation 90 degrees?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162022996386?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2016, 04:01:30 pm »
Looks like this one is a Naza clone because there is a Cpu in top/left corner ?

No need to know orientation, that handled with embeded firmware.
Just follow arrow on case.

You should add the ground or it don't works.

Gnd, Tx, +5V

« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2016, 04:21:19 pm »
 Thanks for the replies gentlemen.  Yes it is a Naza clone.  I assumed that you have to change the orientation of the mag in Librepilot if the mag markings cannot be read when

facing  in a certain direction as shown on post #105 at page 8 of this discussion.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »
Whatever the Mag orientation in hardware you can check if correct using the 3 bars and check that still to 0.

Another solution for AuxMag orientation check, you can use the Scope with "Raw Magnetometer" and see if both mags (onBoard/external) are sync.
Go to the Scope tab, Windows menu > Edit Gadget mode and next choose the "Raw Magnetometer" scope.
Tip: Before switching to Scope tab, go to the Config > Attitude > Magnetometer tab for faster refresh rates.

« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

Thanks again gents for the replies.   I was getting 20% orientation difference from the onboard compass with the Naza clone compass.  I bought an authentic Naza, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Naza-M-LITE-GPS-Module/dp/B017K2RMCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1471628394&sr=1-1&keywords=DJI+Naza-M+LITE+GPS+Module .   As soon as I installed it ( after soldering correct wiring adapter)
 I calibrated and get under 2% orientation difference from the onboard compass .

Life is good now!

Jhinta

« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2016, 06:00:17 pm »
So finally got my motors but my GPS is bad really bad . ~5 fixes where it would be 8+ so don't by the one I got

« Reply #322 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:47 pm »
OP GPS V9 and DJI/Naza GPSs use boardrotation of 0,0,0 if they are mounted with the arrow pointing forward.  Most other I2C aux mag (two cables, arrow forward) need board rotation set to either:
= 180 pitch
= or 180 roll and 180 yaw
(these two are actually the same 3D rotation)

Low satellite count can be caused by several things.
- some transmitter is close to the GPS.  FPV transmitters are bad for this, but even a normal RC receiver does telemetry transmission, so test for this by powering off all possible transmitters.
- indoors, sometimes I get a good fix indoors and sometimes no fix.
- signal is blocked from above by some metal or carbon.
- weather, especially with big water filled clouds.
- configuration can say whether to use just USA GPS or also use e.g. Glonass
- some GPSs can't receive Glonass even if configured to
- extra Glonass, etc satellites can make a big difference in the satellite count, but that doesn't help as much as you hope.
- I actually find that older Neo6 GPSs with the bigger antenna do a good job with less satellites.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:47:06 am by TheOtherCliff »

Jhinta

« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
I know for sure my setup is oke . old GPS seeing ~7 in house where the clone only sees ~5 outside. Its a faulty GPS unit (needed to bypass filters as it otherwise doesn't work) but still bad.

And I do know a lot about GPS  . not as much as you that is,  but more then average. End settings already done . GPS is just bad.

Reverting to old setup but Mac problems (startup problem if gps-mac and high current for mb-mac ) but GPS works . will get a new one. Think I will go for a real one.

Also some info about pull up resistors but the board isn't the same have a Chinese revo clone Would like to correct the smd resistors. But board looks div. So will just keep it simple ( get a real one)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:11:07 pm by Jhinta »

« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2016, 02:25:00 am »
Neo6 GPS sees only USA GPS satellites, so count is lower
Neo7+ GPS sees USA GPS plus other satellites that Neo6 simply does not see.

So that alone will cause two good, working GPSs to show different sat counts.

Jhinta

« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:11 am »
Neo6 GPS sees only USA GPS satellites, so count is lower
Neo7+ GPS sees USA GPS plus other satellites that Neo6 simply does not see.

So that alone will cause two good, working GPSs to show different sat counts.
Even so , the sat count doesn't hold every 5sec no fix or no 3d or even lower then 5 constant in open space . if my older one is only setup to usa GPS it flawless. And its a neo m8n so its should support all 4 .

If you like I could ship it to you. You can have a look.

« Reply #326 on: August 26, 2016, 06:41:08 pm »
The newer (Neo7+) GPS should have more sats.  If it has less than an old GPS (Neo6) then the "Neo7+" sounds broken.

Jhinta

« Reply #327 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:35 pm »
The newer (Neo7+) GPS should have more sats.  If it has less than an old GPS (Neo6) then the "Neo7+" sounds broken.
They are both neo m8n , were one doesn't even work if filter is enabled . and my older one work flawless no Mather witch setting is used. I even connected it to ublox center . is just crap . ( just DOA hardware )

« Reply #328 on: August 26, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
PFD Isn't Level When You Set Up INS13 for GPS Flight

When setting up a new GPS quad it doesn't look level in the PFD/HUD.  Here is the reason and a calibration procedure that fixes this.  This procedure assumes that you are using aux mag only "AuxOnly" (not OnboardOnly or Both).  Actually, it will probably work with "Both", but I haven't tested that.

I think it's a good idea to have Attitude mode on the flight mode switch for use in emergencies.  If you use Attitude mode and adjust this leveling issue with just "Rotate Virtual" and then switch from INS13 back to Basic (or Basic to INS13), it will drift.  Basic needs one trim and INS13 needs a different trim.  The adjustment discussed here will make it level whether you are using INS13 or Basic, without recalibrating each time you change INS13/Basic.

The Reason It Isn't Level
When using Basic Attitude Estimation Algorithm (Configuration->Attitude->Settings->AttitudeEstimationAlgorithm), otherwise known as Complementary Filter (this is the version used by CC3D), you are only using the accels to tell you what is level.  When you switch to INS13, you are using the mags as an additional source of leveling information.  The direction of the mags changes according to your location on earth and is approximated by the use of the World Magnetic Model in the flight code.  For instance, where I am in the USA, the mags point about 62 degrees down.  Close to the equator, the mags point about zero degrees down.  The accels say "down is this way", and when you add the mags, the combination of accels and mags says that down is in a little different direction.

The Calibration Procedure
Use Basic Attitude Estimation Algorithm (Configuration->Attitude->Settings->AttitudeEstimationAlgorithm) with Attitude mode and adjust Rotate Virtual (Configuration->Attitude->Settings->RotateVirtual) for a motionless hover.  If it is drifting forward, you subtract from pitch.  If it is drifting left you subtract from roll.  Etc.
Then use INS13 Attitude Estimation Algorithm with Attitude mode and adjust aux mag orientation (Configuration->Attitude->Magnetometer->AuxMagOrientation) for a motionless hover.  If it is drifting forward, you subtract from pitch.  If it is drifting left you subtract from roll.  Etc.

Notes
Your blue "Aux Mag Orientation Help" bars won't be all zero any more.  That's not a problem.  In the real world sense, the aux mag is now aligned more accurately than the onboard mag.
The OnBoard mag doesn't have an adjustment, so this only works for AuxOnly.  It probably works for "Both", but that isn't optimal.
To avoid this issue, the World Magnetic Model would have to be perfect, the mags and accels would have to be calibrated perfectly, and the aux mag would have to be perfectly aligned to the model.  Even with all that, there are some models (e.g. helis and tricopters) that are not level when they hover, even if built perfectly and those would still have this leveling issue.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:20:18 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
A question about compass drift:

I have my Revo 450 quad running better now, green across the board and a good, steady hover, but... I'm seeing a constant drift on the compass. If I calibrate everything and have the quad sitting on a level surface (not armed, no props, no interference, green board) I can watch the compass drift by about 1 degree to the East every 20 seconds or so. After a few minutes the heading can be 5 or 10 degrees off (always to the East) and counting. If I power-off and then power-up, then the compass snaps back to North but will start drifting again.

I'm using the M8N with the AuxMag connected to the I2C bus and the latest (Next) branch. M8N is mounted on a 8-inch fibreglass post and seems to be otherwise unaffected by power and motors (all cables twisted and routed away from mast).
Attitude Estimation Algorithm is set to "Complementary+Mag+GPSOutdoor" – seems to get the most stable results so far while I work my way up to INS13. To monitor flights I'm using OPLink at the ground station connected to Bluetooth which is paired either to my Mac (while at my desk) or to an Android tablet running LibrePilot2Go (while in the field).

Is this a calibration issue? Is it a hardware issue? Interference? Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thanks for the help!