f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: REVO NANO GPS + MCU Setup
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 01:23:28 am »
Blue led blinking means the ublox module receive at least one GPS sat with a valid time data.

smayes

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 05:20:36 am »
If I connect with GPS only should I still be able to use the revo's on-board mag for INS13?

smayes

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 07:27:07 am »
EDIT: Found that I had AuxMagSettings Usage set to AuxOnly. Setting to "Both" has returned recognition of on-board mag.

Mateusz

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 09:10:40 am »
If I connect with GPS only should I still be able to use the revo's on-board mag for INS13?

Yes, but it is unlikely that on-board mag will give error-free measurements usually on quads <= 300mm this is hard.
Depends on your flight controller location, if it's far from power lines, and twisted wires can help a bit. Also ESC are switching components and they work like electromagnets.
Usually you can't shield from magnetic field, unless you use 3-4 meters concrete wall, like they do at Large Hydron Colider ;) what you can do best is redirect magnetic field by twisting wires to make it less severe. Any "shielding" around magnetometer is also bad idea, as it may distort static magnetic field and confuse magnetometer.
The best is to have mag on a pole and calibrated outdoors over OPlink far from metallic elements, but you can try of course.

smayes

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 04:31:21 pm »
That would appear to be my only option until I can figure out what's wrong with my V9 or get it replaced

smayes

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 01:16:27 am »
Did some testing today and found that raising the FC to 1" off the frame is far enough away from the power wires to give good mag data even under full throttle. GPS Assist with V9 and the revo's mag performed reasonably well in windy conditions this evening.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:17 am »
If using "Both" and aux is not working, then it is the same as using "onboard only"

Is GPS working through the GPS+MCU port?  If not try this:
- use GPS only port and run Revo one time in GPSSettings "autobaudconfigandstore" mode in case the GPS is set wrong somehow.  Then go back to GPS+MCU port at 57600 baud.

smayes

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 06:47:50 am »
No change. I get absolutely nothing from the GPS+MCU port, but the onboard mag seems to be working well, so I have full functionality to experiment with now. It's a ~600mm frame, so I have some wiggle room with placement.

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 06:46:01 pm »
Has it been crashed and that caused this? :(
If it were mine I would look for broken connection between wires coming out GPS+MCU connector and circuit board traces, then I would flash 'next' version of firmware (which has an unrelated fix) using dev uploader tool (./build/uploader_release/OPUploadTool).

smayes

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 07:40:27 pm »
It had never even been plugged in and powered on

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 04:48:04 am »
Well then, what I said before :) , plus contact the seller if that is still reasonable.

smayes

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 04:50:46 am »
I'll try that when I can get a debug tool. Since the Revo's mag is working for me this is low priority right now. I bought it from the OP store and have contacted them with no response.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 10:38:47 am »
I have exactly the same problem.

smayes

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:24 am »
So I've decided to revisit this project and issue. From what I can tell the GPS and MAG are working fine in the GPS+MAG mode, but it isn't communicating with the Revo.

I tried examining the Tx output of the module with an oscilloscope and there's nothing on the Tx pin. I could maybe fix it if I had some kind of schematic, but that's nowhere to be found.

Is it worth trying to repair this V9 unit instead of just going and getting a NAZA GPS clone? I really like the unit, but I don't want to waste my time.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 09:09:53 am »
Blue LED blinking means the GPS is working.  It is blue if it sees some GPS satellites.  Orange LED blinking means MCU is working.  It is orange as long as MCU firmware works and it has power.

You say it works if connected to GPS only.  What baud rate does it detect when connected to GPS only?  Look in System->DataObjects->GPSPositionSensor.  Also what is the AutoConfigStatus.  Remember you must typically have a flight battery plugged in to ESCs to get power to the GPS.

If GPS connector pins aren't bent, then the only thing I can think of that is simple to fix is that you have configured the GPS through the GPS only port and changed it so that the MCU can't read the GPS any more.  Maybe wrong baud rate.  Did you follow the "autobaudconfigandstore" instructions discussed here?  Must use "autobaudconfigandstore" mode with it connected to GPS only port.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=922.msg7105#msg7105

Otherwise I would re-flash GPS/MCU firmware using OPUploadTool.exe

If I knew I did these things correctly, I might start debugging a hardware problem or I might go to a DJI/Naza GPS.  In my experience, the OCDAY brand of DJI/Naza GPS didn't have some minor bugs that other clones had, but they may all be good or bad in that regard by now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OCDAY-NEO-M8N-GPS-Sensitive-for-DJI-NAZA-Lite-V1-V2-Flight-Controller-RC783/232878223095

If you see an approximately 4 second flight oscillation with DJI/Naza GPS in GPS flight modes, there is a work around FC firmware.