Having GPS Issues
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:11 am »
I am having a problem setting up my GPS.  I have a Revo mini flight controller with an op gps.  I was having an issue when first setting it up so I searched for help and found and post on how to plug it into an FTDI basic card and configure it through u_center_v8.  I followed the instructions and completes the config.  while in the u_center software I got a perfect 3d gps lock.  I then plugged it into the cc3d and I was able to talk to my gps.  Now my problem is, when I go into setup I have 10 satellites in view but I always have 0 (zero) satellites used.  I have even had 16 satellites in view and still no lock.  I can not figure out why I can get such a good lock through u_center but never through my cc3d.  Any help would be appricated

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Having GPS Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »
Hi, welcome.

Using a Revolution board you do not need Ucenter, just to be sure you can reset Gps to factory settings. (in config window if i remember)

About the GPS... i experienced the same one time while my GPS was close to FrsKy receiver. All sat received but unable to lock and 0 sats used. Sometimes need to download almanac from Sat and if aborted due to noise it can take some time.

Laurent

hwh

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:19:41 pm »
...I have a Revo mini flight controller ...my cc3d...

The Revo mini isn't a cc3d, it's a revo.  The name was made up by Chinese and eBay sellers for the search engines.  Forget that it ever said cc3d and always follow instructions for the revo.  It's a revo with the oplink telemetry transmitter removed from the main board.  If you have their "oplink air" attached then it's a full revo.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:23:10 pm »
Just so there is no confusion the board I bought is http://www.banggood.com/CC3D-Revolution-Mini-Combo-OP-Flight-Controller-OPLINK-Radio-Telemetry-GPS-OSD-Power-Distribution-Board-p-1019051.html

I have tried to get a good lock with the transmitter turned off in a completely different room. 

Why the GPS would work so well connected to my computer and not the the flight controller boggles the mind

I have reset it back to default setting a couple of time and when I connect it again the board see it for like a second then I get the red X over the GPS.  It has something to do with only wanting UBX messages sent to it.  There is an option in the settings where you can autobaud and config but that make the GPS unhappy also
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:26:29 pm by xerokillz »

hwh

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 02:42:21 am »
...There is an option in the settings where you can autobaud and config but that make the GPS unhappy also

That gps won't work any way except with autobaud and autoconfig.   It doesn't have onboard flash to save settings so the revo has to configure it every time it starts up.  I just dug out one of those tiny "OP GPS" units and hooked it to my revo.  The settings below make it work.  Because of the tiny antenna on that gps it takes it longer to get the sats and it doesn't do as well indoors as the full size gps units.

Which red-X on the gps are you talking about, in the system health area or at the top of the area that looks like an OSD?  The one in the OSD area has a red-X over it until it has 7 sats in use.  The system health one gets the red-X for no gps and turns orange for less than 7 sats.   What does the gps area on the right side of the system tab show?

edit: It does have a battery and will remember settings (including bad ones :( ) for at least a few hours.  If the settings below don't work by themselves you also might try unplugging it for a day and see if the settings below work after that.  Autobaud/config is supposed to wipe out any existing configuration and set it up properly no matter what it's current settings are but you never know. When the battery dies it reverts to the factory settings.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:08:34 am by hwh »

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:26 pm »
Starting from default settings, to get a GPS working you have to go to Configuration -> Hardware, set either Main or Flexi to GPS.  Don't do anything else.  Press Save.  Reboot FC with GPS connected.  It will autoconfigure it and it will just work.  Red (orange or green) block in health means it is working.  Red X means bad hardware or bad config.  Importing someone else's settings can mess you up if they changed things you don't know about.