CMOL

Re: Revolution; GPS, Position Hold & Return to Home
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 10:20:59 pm »
I read through your post and you mentioned Cliff's coding. So it supports DJI Naza Lite on Revo, and has one cable including GPS and compass? If that's true then it's really good, and might actually be a very good option! :D But how does one know how to jumble up the wires correctly when changing a Naza Lite connector to one that will suit the CC3D's main port?
Regards,
CMOL

hwh

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 10:37:33 pm »
I read through your post and you mentioned Cliff's coding. So it supports DJI Naza Lite on Revo, and has one cable including GPS and compass? If that's true then it's really good, and might actually be a very good option! :D But how does one know how to jumble up the wires correctly when changing a Naza Lite connector to one that will suit the CC3D's main port?
Regards,
CMOL

I could work it out but Cliff actually did it to both a real and clone Naza gps while working on this.  If he see this he'll probably post the pinout.  Even better, he could add it to the wiki.

emjay

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 10:42:22 pm »
Might be worth keeping an eye on what this guy is selling via the Classifieds for OpenPilot hardware.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2598796#post33936030

hwh

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 11:22:55 pm »
Might be worth keeping an eye on what this guy is selling via the Classifieds for OpenPilot hardware.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2598796#post33936030

I purchased one of my V9 gps units from him a few weeks ago.  He's legitimate, shipped it out the next day.

Currently he's listing an older V8 gps and they don't have the compass on them.  It's just a NEO-6 gps, not a bad gps but you're better off with one of the newer ones on eBay.

CMOL

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 12:10:34 pm »
http://m.banggood.com/DJI-NAZA-Lite-Version-Multi-rotor-GPS-Module-p-86239.html

I found this GPS, I think it's the real deal, GPS & compass and not a clone.
But how do we get Cliff to help us? Because it would help a lot of people :D

hwh

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »
http://m.banggood.com/DJI-NAZA-Lite-Version-Multi-rotor-GPS-Module-p-86239.html

I found this GPS, I think it's the real deal, GPS & compass and not a clone.
But how do we get Cliff to help us? Because it would help a lot of people :D

That does appear to be a real Naza GPS but you can usually buy them for less money than that on eBay.  In the US at least they usually go for around $85.

If you search for "JST SH" on eBay you can buy short cables with the proper connector on them.

Below is a picture of the Naza connector.  It should be hooked up:

Naza               revo
-----------        ----------
1 gnd             1 gnd
2 tx                4 rx
3 rx                3 tx
4 +5v             2 vcc

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:49:54 pm by hwh »

CMOL

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
So by doing this, the CC3D will know exactly what to do and I'll be good to go? :D

Mateusz

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »
So by doing this, the CC3D will know exactly what to do and I'll be good to go? :D

No, actually not, its way more complicated than you think. You need some work before achieving position hold. GPS is accurate up to 2 meters and only helps other sensors. You really need everything calibrated properly before you start using it. Starting slow, getting the thing flying nicely in Complementary mode. Then you can step up and try Magnetometer which MUST be calibrated outdoors preferably using OPlink modem. Far from metallic objects. After that you can try INS31 sensor fusion (which is just Extended Kalman). Once you have good (not oscillating) signal in Atitude states in Scopes and rock stable model in the GCS, you can try flying with INS31, be sure it is rock stable in the air. Without the wind copter shouldn't drift much. After that if your magnetometer calibration is good, you can try GPS assist or position hold, but  far away from buildings and people. And you should check before if your fail-safe is working (cutting off motors on turning off transmitter or lose of signal).
The reason not to fly close to people with GPS is obvious. As for the "far away from buildings" this is because buildings reflect GPS signal, and may fool your receiver with multi-path reflections into "thinking" the unit is few meters farer than it is in reality. Finally, these Ublox GPS modules, don't pull almanac from Wireless network and don't use WiFi for better precision. So its not like mobile phone. They usually have super-capacitor instead of battery (because capacitor does not get old though it only lasts up to 5-6hours). So before each flight you need to power the GPS, give it clear sky for 10-15min, let it collect stats and the you are ready to go, as it has up to date almanac for ~5-6h without being powered.

hwh

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 09:19:41 pm »

CC3D boards don't really use gps, I'm guessing you mean a "Revolution" since that's the title of this thread.  Revolution is just a name some Chinese sellers made up for web search optimization to catch people searching for either CC3D or Revolution boards.  GCS should either identify the board as a CC3D (shown as coptercontrol) or a Revolution.  If you refer to a "Revolution" as just a CC3D you'll get wrong answers because the cc3d and revo have different capabilities.

If you have a revolution then all you need to do is hook it up, go into the gcs configuration tab, and set whatever port you plugged into to GPS/115200 baud/DJI protocol.  This will only work on the next release  or if you compile your own off the next branch.

CMOL

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 10:16:14 pm »
So has anyone ever gotten a GPS position hold functioning with a Revolution FC? To me this all seems very distant/a bit impossible to achieve, but that is just me being naive i suppose. I mean somebody must have gotten this working?
I will start a new thread with a more specified topic in an attempt to find people who have managed to achieve this. :)
Regards,
CMOL

CMOL

Revolution FC and GPS Position Hold: Has anyone succeeded?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to find solutions on how I can use my CC3D (Revolution) to use the GPS position hold function, but I am finding anything that seems plausible. What I was wondering is if anyone has managed/succeeded with this and are willing to explain how they solved the different problems. If I am completely out with the fairies concerning this matter (it isn't really possible), do say, I do like criticism.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
CMOL :)

Mateusz

Re: Revolution FC and GPS Position Hold: Has anyone succeeded?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 11:07:45 pm »
Of course

...etc...

But this flight mode was filmed when it was introduced back in OpenPilot days. It's extremely boring to make a movie of hovering just in one place for longer time, it's not very spectacular. Also people post here, when they have problems, but it works for many pilots. Just needs some effort to learn how to do it, but definitely possible. Of course it won't happen out of the box like with DJI products.

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:22 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to find solutions on how I can use my CC3D (Revolution) to use the GPS position hold function, but I am finding anything that seems plausible. What I was wondering is if anyone has managed/succeeded with this and are willing to explain how they solved the different problems. If I am completely out with the fairies concerning this matter (it isn't really possible), do say, I do like criticism.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
CMOL :)

It would be really helpful if you could be more particular with the problems you are encountering and also mention which GPS you are currently using. Is your concern with the setup of the GPS or is it calibration, or is it arming/flying with GPS functionality?
From my experience, it is essential to make sure you do the calibration steps as perfectly as possible, ie: away from any metallic objects, etc. All wires carrying power (motor and ESC's) should be twisted to help eliminate interference. GPS should be mounted as far away from potential interference (like on a post). Also make sure that your GPS is connected for at least 15-20 minutes so that it can download all the latest info from the satellites.
These are just a few issues that will make a big difference in using modes such as PosHold.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

hwh

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 12:52:13 am »
It would be really helpful if you could be more particular with the problems you are encountering and also mention which GPS you are currently using. Is your concern with the setup of the GPS or is it calibration, or is it arming/flying with GPS functionality?

He's got another thread that's been going on for a while on the same subject, he just decided to start another thread.
see https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=902.0 .

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:16 pm »
The cheap M8N GPS / compass does work well.  I have helped a friend set it up using LP 15.09 and the on board mag.
I use it with the unreleased next version and use the aux mag that way all the time.