X Quad - Noob Here - Stabilizatin config
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:20 pm »
I have out together a basic mid sized quad using the CC3D. My 9XR pro is correctly configured with the basic fight controls in CH 1-4, 5 is an unused AUX and CH 6 is setup to the three way switch. The CGS is reporting everything is correctly configured. I need some help with the Stabilization Config page. I understand settings block 1, 2 & 3 correspond to the three position switch. My questions are about the GCS Stabilization Page:
1. In the Responsiveness section what do the Attitude, Rate and Yaw Rate mean? Where should they be set for the first flight?
2. in the Acro+ section, what do the Roll Factor & Pitch Factor mean? Where should they be set for the first flight? Should the Link Pitch and Roll box be checked?
3. In the Rate Stabilization (Inner Loop) section, what do the Proportional & Integral setting do or mean, where should they be set for the first flight.
4. Attitude Stablization (outer loop), what do these do and how should they be setup?

I know this is a lot, maybe someone can point me to a primer?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:35:20 pm by JamesPal »

Re: X Quad - Noob Here - Stabilizatin config
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:53 pm »
I just went out to attempt the first flight. I was able to enter a semi-stable hover and after about 20-30 seconds it started to oscillate on the vertical axis. I didn't allow it to rise above 6-8 feet. The oscillations started small and built up eventually touching the ground. It was very controllable in pitch and roll. It this a setup problem or do you think there is a hardware issue such as the way the CC3D is mounted. It is mounted on a piece of 1/2 carpet foam.

cato

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:09 pm »
Hi James,

welcome from me her on Librepilot, I hope you will have a lot of fun with your quad(s) :)

I will try to reply to your questions according my still very limited knowledge:
1. in the Responsiveness Section you can see three buttons, "Moderate", "Snappy" and "Insane". Moving the slidders to the right will increase the responsiveness of the control, but taking it too far may result in oscillations. For a first flight I would try the moderate preset (as I think that you may not find a preset in the wizard's database).
2. Acro+ is for acrobatic flight. I am not sure if your quad would be fit for acro, and it's definitely advanced flying.
3. This is a complicated answer. Best watch this:

this is on a very old version of openpilot, but the way it works is still the same. Those settings are relevant in all flight modes. About different flight modes you can watch this one:

4. This sets your tuning while in attitude mode. The sliders work the same as above, more to the right, the more responsive the quad will react.

To see which settings effect which modes, take a look at the wiki here:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Stabilization+Configuration

Basically, if you are new to multicopters, my suggestion is to start in attitude. For the tx I would suggest to setup CH 1-4 for flight controlls, 5 for flight modes (3 position switch), 6-8 for accessories (as far as available).

For the oscillations I would suggest if possible to post a video, as the characteristics of the oscillations tell a lot about possible causes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:57:33 pm by cato »
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:48 am »
Cato,
Thank you very much for this. It gives me a perfect starting point. There is a lot of information in the PID tuning video. I did watch the entire thing. What I got out of is to start with the defaults and work through getting to level and stable hover. After I get there I will be able to understand the details better and work the stability settings.
The Painless360 series is great, I have not seen this one. It is a perfect explanations of the different flight modes. I will reconfigure the controller and weather permitting try shooting some video. Again thanks a lot, I was suffering from the TMI syndrome.
Awesome!
JimP