m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
Sparky2
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:01:54 am »
Just ordered a Sparky2 from here: http://www.hobbiesfly.com/taulabs-sparky2-0.html

Very excited to see how it performs :) Hopefully we can add support for it in LibrePilot soon.
The first thing I will do is to design a case for it similar to the ones I did for the Revolution board.

/Fredrik

ArnhemAnt

Re: Sparky2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:07 pm »
Looks interesting. Unfortunately, it looks as though you have to solder the pins - not so good for people like me. I have tried to do this previously with other products and ruined them. Maybe I need a new soldering system?

I also don't know a lot about the specs, etc on this board in regards to performance, etc. Is there any info on how it compares to other boards on the market with similar specs?
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:05 pm »
Hi Anthony

Soldering the headers is quite easy. It just takes some careful planning. Start with placing the header in a correct position. Solder one of the outer pins and check the alignment. As long as only one pin is soldered it is easy to adjust. The solder one pin on the opposite side. If all is aligned and looks ok, just do the rest :) I guess you could easily find someone to do it for you if you feel you aren't up to it.

Regarding the performance of the board I would say it is an evolution of the OP Revolution board. Same MCU but better sensors and more I/O.

/Fredrik

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »
Thanks Fredrik,
I did try that same technique, but I think my current soldering equipment needs some upgrading. Yeah I know, I sound like a poor tradesman blaming his tools......
I think I will eventually invest in a SMD rework station.

Thanks also for your info on the performance of the board.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

DanNT

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 01:22:59 pm »
Happy to solder for you ant :)

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
Happy to solder for you ant :)

Thanks mate. I might just take you up on that offer. I'm seriously thinking of having a closer look at this board.

DanNT

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:36:54 am »
Me too!

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:46:22 pm »
Ok, so I sat down with my favorite 3d designing tool and made a case for this board.
I think it turned out quite good. I still could make some more simplifications to make it faster to fabricate. But I will wait with that I think.

/Fredrik

simonarvestrand

• FPV All Day Long
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »
And what software is your favorite?
Chimera | Zephyr II | Easystar | Inspire 1 | Qav400 | X * 250 |
-=== Youtube FPV4FUN ===-

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »
Is this a trick question?

I'm using MS Paint of course ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:58:13 pm by m_thread »

simonarvestrand

• FPV All Day Long
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 04:28:47 pm »
Then we use same :) but i prefere  (how do i spell prefere? ) a more solid software for design
Chimera | Zephyr II | Easystar | Inspire 1 | Qav400 | X * 250 |
-=== Youtube FPV4FUN ===-

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 05:37:08 pm »
It's spelled 'prefer' :) Well, it has happened once or twice that I have used a more Solid software on my Works-tation also...
/F

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »
The case looks very nice man. But, then again, all your cases are very nice.

Keen to hear your thoughts on Sparky2 once you have tried it out.

BTW, if people can't get hold of a GPS like the V9, then what other alternatives are there, if any??

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:23:45 am »
BTW, if people can't get hold of a GPS like the V9, then what other alternatives are there, if any??

I personally have build two 500mm quads with Revos and used the Revos' on board mags with a cheap ($15 shipped) eBay GPS.  It works very well.  You must carefully twist all your main power wire pairs (and motor wire triplets) to reduce magnetic fields.  There are some Power Distribution Boards that are not designed to work with mags.  Stay away from the PDB's that have C shaped traces.

Using the on board mags is not a good idea for mini quads or very high powered quads (multicopters).  The mag fields from the power wires are too close / strong to get good mag readings.

The cheap eBay GPS's even have mags built in and we are working on getting these mags working with LP code.  My logic analyzer just arrived and I am waiting on some cables.  The one bad thing is that means the GPS/mag needs two ports, one for GPS and one for mag.  That kind of leaves Nano out if you want to do anything else like telemetry or OSD.  It even leaves Revo out if you want OSD.  The preferred solution seems to be the TauLabs Sparky 2.0 ($85 plus shipping, if it costs less, it is probably a 1.0).  We hope to get the Sparky 2.0 working with LP code soon too.  :)  This is basically a Revo with more ports and more recent sensors (same sensors as Nano).  That is everything I need in an FC at least.  Nothing wrong with Revo sensors mind you...  There is another thread here that talks about getting inexpensive clone Revos and OpLinks from thanksbuyer.com if you want something inexpensive that works right now.

I use these PDB's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5cm-Multi-Copter-8-ESC-Power-Battery-Connection-Board-for-RC-KK-Quadcopter-Blue-/271950035621

I currently use this GPS ($15 shipped) on my favorite 500mm Revo quad.  You have to egg out the holes 1.5mm each to stack it with a Revo.  The one I got (YMMV) just needed the supplied cable pins put into a standard OP JST-SH connector in the right order to get the GPS (not mags) working.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-6M-GPS-HMC5883L-Compass-Module-APM-2-6-ARDUPILOT-MEGA-2-6-GPS-6M-/281573515693

I have bought this M8N (OP V10) GPS ($22 shipped) (and another) and am working on getting the mags working with it.  Supplied cable must be cut and spliced to an OP (JST-SH 1.0mm) cable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251997592219

JST-SH 1.0mm half-cable (plus connector that goes on the board) 20 for $6 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251979895512

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 09:09:02 am »
^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you. Cliff, you are a wealth of knowledge. I'm going to go over those suggested links a little later this afternoon and look into this a little further.

By the sounds of it, my only limitation is my limited knowledge and experience with changing plugs, and wires around with things. I generally don't mess with that sort of thing, but I may have to give it a go.

This place (LibrePilot) just keeps getting better and better.