liftbag

• LibrePilot
Re: Port Tau Labs Autotune to LP
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 03:16:09 pm »
Guys, you clearly fail to read irony between the lines! :) I have a warm place in my heart for LibrePilot and am amazed by constant development that's put into it. Relax a bit damn it. :D

TL;DR - I wasn't serious. I was mocking haters! ;P

:)

liftbag

• LibrePilot
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
Just for context/background the original Autotune I wrote for OpenPilot years ago used relay tuning. This required fairly aggressive oscillation. The dRonin Autotune is the same as the Tau Labs one I wrote a few years back. It works quite differently with much smaller oscillations to directly calculate the properties of your multi rotor (primarily the response latency of the motors).

You can see the original testing and description here

It's convenient because it calculates quite a few of the parameters, and does this from a well grounded framework. You can find the derivation of the calculation of parameters from the system properties here: https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/raw/next/flight/Doc/Autotuning%20Derivation.pdf and hopefully a publication on the actual system identification approach will be coming out in not too long.

Glad you guys are finding it useful! We've had people using it at TL for 2 years now with thousands of successful tunes. I completely agree people should know enough to eye ball the parameters for sanity before trying to fly, though.

Hi James.
Seem I have the only micro racer in the whole world that hates dRonin AutoTune. I really cannot set a decent PID set with it.
Results heavily depends on PID used. Outer Loop resulting PIDs are almost unflyable (ridiculously high). The quad is an H type, with weights distributed along the longitudinal axis, and Autotune set Roll PIDs higher than Pitch while using OPTune, Pitch PIDs are twice the Roll.
All this is achieved with both LibrePilot and dRonin AutoTune. I finally gave up.
I still have to do more tests with other multi-rotors, because several successful cases are reported in LibrePilot in addition to the many of dRonin.

Paolo
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:46:02 pm by liftbag »

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 06:10:47 am »
Is autotune in 'next' or is it a separate git clone that needs to be done?

Mateusz

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 08:47:44 am »
Is autotune in 'next' or is it a separate git clone that needs to be done?

Hi Ben,

It is in Cliff's branch at the moment only https://bitbucket.org/TheOtherCliff/librepilot/branch/theothercliff%2FLP-76_Port_Autotune_from_dRonin
One of last changes ported with Autotune is I believe new Yaw calculation from dRonin. This helped with one of my quads as I was getting way too high yaw and warm motors.

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 07:40:01 pm »
Thank you!  I just picked up a mini revo and want to try autotune with it, i will give Cliff's branch a try.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 01:52:53 am »
Cloned, built, flashed, flew.....

I am now an Autotune fanboy.  While I think it is important to understand how the PIDs work and what the adjustment of each does to the handling of a multirotor, I have to say that a fresh quad with stock ( non oscillating PIDs ) with a new mini revo took all of 2 minutes to get it to feel very responsive in Attitude.  Will reset my flight switch and try Rate.

Ben

if interested -

Stock
                            P                             I                                  D
ROLL            0.00300                0.00650                        0.000033
PITCH           0.00300                0.00650                        0.000033
YAW              0.00620                0.01000                        0.000050

Autotune
ROLL            0.00169                0.00326                        0.000047
PITCH           0.00348                0.00670                        0.000098
YAW              0.00733                0.01270                        0.000064

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:46 am »
How does you Compile it with Autotune?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:19 am »
Here is the autotune howto- it is very straight forward.  I would first get your build environment setup and checkout 'next' or 15.09.  Once you can build gcs and your firmware, you can follow the howto to clone the autotune branch and build it.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/AutoTune

Ben

chromvis

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:09 pm »
Need help with building autotune version of GCS.
In Windows computer on MSYS2 clone TheOtherCliff/librepilot.git fine but unable to checkout theothercliff/LP-76_Port_Autotune_from_dRonin.
System only allow to checkout 'next' and build it fine The version it actually build is 'LibrePilot-0.0+r1022-ga71fb62_x86_64'
The whole package works fine, it just does not have autotune.
I was following instructions recently updated in "howto/Auto Tune" on LibrePilot wiki, but it seems they are written for Linux.
Could you please, write them for windows?
I am very new with git, I think sleng name for it "noob", but I may be worse, since I have extensive programming experience in Assembler and raw processor codes from 80-th, modern systems are different universe.

Here is what I am getting from MSYS2 (attached)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:19:54 pm by chromvis »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »
Post moved

Be sure you fetch the repo

git fetch

you should also use tab key to complete names, this avoid mistake with branch names.

chromvis

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 06:32:12 am »
Was able to successfully build this version only by directing "git checkout" directly to hashtag.
In first start of  librepilot-gcs.exe it started OK after showing black window for about 15 sec. Firmware flashed fine and autotune appears in flight modes.
But "Flight Data" page shows black screen (all other pages work).
Simple debugging (with Visual Studio) shows "no symbol file loaded for Qt5Gui.dll". (My Fault)
I hope it may be helpful info to fix this.
Correction:  This was with direct run from ../librepilot-gcs_release/bin directory . Full installation using r1039 file appears OK. Will go testing now.
BTW. I noticed that easy tune usually result in I coefficients about 3 to 4 times higher than P, while D are small, resulting in sluggish copter behavior. If I tune P about 60 to 75% of optimal from EasyTune and make I = P and rise D about 2 times I am getting much better behavior, sharper and stable. This was for NightHawk 200 EMS 450g
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:45:41 pm by chromvis »

chromvis

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:44 am »
I am impressed!!!
Install on two copters (NightHawk 260 clone with RS2205 motors 6040 props, 30A miniESC DYS BLHeli, 3S battery, 570g,  OpLink copter control with bluetooth telemetry to computer,  and another NightHawk-200 EMS 480g, same OpLink control).
My old PIDs were a bit on aggressive side (P - 0.004, I - 0.004, D - 0.00012 on both Pitch and Roll). There, probably were micro-oscillations, copter was tend to climb. For autotune had to adjust  (P 0.0035; I 0.006; D 0.00008). After just 1 min of light shaking got (Roll: P 0.0034; I 0.0078; D 0.000071; Pitch P .0038; I .0089; D 0.00008) - pretty close to original, although I spend two days to get to these original values, and here is just 1 min - fantastic!
Even better when I was tuning the second one I actually set Accessory 1 knob for SmoothQuick variation which appears to be the best and unexpected feature. After tuning you can vary aggressiveness of the copter. On the quick side I would probably decrease I and increase D a bit more, but it is just great that one can simply turn knob and transfer aggressive racer into polite photographer. Amazing! Thank you very much.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2016, 03:35:22 pm »
Awesome!

Ben

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 12:20:53 am »
Hope I don't get attacked for asking.  But when's this meant to out? The only reason I ask is that I've a quad the last month that cannot be tuned!  Had numerous people looking at it.  Or can anyone build it for me and send me a link to try it.  I'm desperate have a race next week!

hwh

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 04:05:18 am »
You won't get attacked but you won't get an answer either.  It's meant to be out when everything scheduled for it is done, there is no set date.

Auto tune wouldn't help you anyway, you've posted in other threads that you can't get it to fly at all.  To use auto tune you need to be able to control the aircraft well enough to take off and hover.