Possible to flip in Attitude mode with high bank angle?
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:21:58 am »
Something that I've been wondering about lately:

What will happen if - in Attitude mode - I set the 'Attitude mode response (deg)' on the 'Stabilisation - Advanced' tab to something like 100 degrees for pitch/roll and also have Cruise Control enabled with the Max Angle set to 95 degrees?

In other words, setting up the quad to rotate past 90 degrees in Attitude mode and also set Cruise Control to cut throttle at some point just past 90. Would the quad not be able to do flips/rolls in Attitude mode with these settings?

I know about Rattitude mode and have been using it quite successfully. Was just wondering if the above would work at all and/or what the results would be.

cato

Re: Possible to flip in Attitude mode with high bank angle?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:22:47 pm »
Well, the results of that is unkown, I guess.

If you want to flip in attitude, you should use rattitude mode. To my understanding there is a major difference between a maybe possible accidental flip in attitude and rattitude flip: when you go to flip in rattitude the quad will switch to a different mode when you are flipping, to maintain maximum stability and contrallability through the whole process of the flip.

I tried rattitude myself and can tell you, definitely try it, it's loads of fun ... and guarantee for a few crashs as well :)
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:03:25 am »
Yeah, I thought about this some more since starting the thread.

My initial thought was that - if you go past 90 degrees in Attitude mode - the quad would complete the rotation in order to stabilise itself again and thus do a flip/roll, but I guess in actual fact you'd need to go past 180 degrees in order for this to happen. With a max angle of 90 degrees the quad would just snap back into position after you let go of the stick and not really rotate at all. Going past 180 degrees might make it complete the rotation?

Hehe, I don't know if anyone would be willing to set their max angle to 180 in order to test this theory of mine. Guess I'll have to be my own guinea pig.
I have some days off work this week. If weather permits, I'll set my max angles to 180 and see what happens. At the very least, I should be able to perform some Skitzo'esque dives and upside down manoeuvres.  ;)

PS: I do use Rattitude mode. Needing to know whether I can flip/roll in Attitude mode only is purely to please the crackpot scientist in me.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:47:57 pm »
Attitude mode max angle set to e.g. 120 should do exactly what you expect.  It should allow you to bank more than 90 degrees; e.g. set on 120, max stick should get you slightly upside down.

I would be interested to hear what happened when you set the Attitude mode max angle to larger than 180.  I would guess that it would allow you to do flips like Rattitude mode.  You may have to use System -> Settings to make it this large.  To be really safe, you should test it on a tight string that only allows it to roll (and again to pitch).

Setting it to less than 180 is a bit tricky.  If you set it to 179, it can still get to over 180 if it is flipping fast when it gets to 179.  Once it gets past 180, it sees e.g. 181 as -179 and will "finish the flip".  With full stick, once the quad hits 181 in any Attitude / Rattitude mode, it will instantly pull hard to finish the flip.  That makes it basically impossible to hold it inverted in these modes.  There is probably some reasonable setting (170?) that let's you get really close to inverted without going over.

CruiseControl doesn't actually stop the motors past 90 (or whatever) degrees.  It reduces thrust to 5%, but stabilization is still active, so an individual motor can actually go 100%.   CruiseControl doesn't know what the max angle setting is, so it just does what it is programmed to do.  If it is set to reduce the motors at 90 degrees and you are at 100 degrees, the thrust will be reduced (but still can use whatever power is required for stabilization/control).