Expo on the TX or expo in GCS
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »
Hey ho,

I was wondering what's your opinion on setting the expo on the flight controller vs setting the expo on the radio.

People on the internets (at least in the quadcopter communities) seem to have strong opinions against setting the expo on the radio and claim that it does affect your effective stick range, plus the board should be better at calculating the expo.

What do you think? If some of the devs could share their input it would be awesome too! :)

liftbag

• LibrePilot
Re: Expo on the TX or expo in GCS
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
Hey ho,

I was wondering what's your opinion on setting the expo on the flight controller vs setting the expo on the radio.

People on the internets (at least in the quadcopter communities) seem to have strong opinions against setting the expo on the radio and claim that it does affect your effective stick range, plus the board should be better at calculating the expo.

What do you think? If some of the devs could share their input it would be awesome too! :)
I don't think expo on Tx could affect the stick range, anyway, I am for expo on gcs if needed.
Just today I've experimented the GCS expo with very good results.
I think expo is only needed if you fly rate mode at very high Rate Mode Response. There is no need of expo in attitude, rattitude or acro+.

Today I've set high Rate Mode Response for roll/pitch rate mode. So high value need some expo to avoid rough behaviors at center stick.
These are the settings with which I am very comfortable.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »
@liftbag: Do you fly acro+ with these settings?

liftbag

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »
@liftbag: Do you fly acro+ with these settings?
No, this bank is for rate mode.
Never used expo for acro+, but you have to set it properly.
You don't need high values for Rate Mode Response, because the flip/roll side is regulated by the acro+ bars in basic settings.
I set Roll/Pitch Rate Mode Response from 220 to 250 deg/s (it depends on model). With this value range you don't need expo.
AcroInsanityFactor from 50 to 65. Powerful multirotors need less acro+.