Jim0000

Yaw channel not working in CC3D flight controller.
« on: July 29, 2020, 01:59:28 pm »
I have a CC3D flight controller in a home made quad. Four banggood motors. 2212 100kv. Four 30A generic banggood ESC. FrSky D series receiver.
The quad has flown before, but only short flights.

I am now having trouble getting the yaw channel to respond when I go to the transmitter set up wizard. The other three are working ok.
In the LibrePilot GCS page, it shows receiver activity in three channels, but no activity in the yaw channel.
As a result, I am unable to arm the craft using the common yaw right and throttle minimum.

Can someone assist me with this please?

Re: Yaw channel not working in CC3D flight controller.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »
Are you using PWM signal from receiver to CC3D?  Maybe the yaw wire is damaged, usually at the connector.  Also unplug the CC3D connector and examine the tiny male connector parts in the connector shell in CC3D.

Plug a servo directly into the receiver yaw connection and see if that works.

Try a new, default airplane model in the transmitter; maybe the yaw channel has been misconfigured.

Test that transmitter with another receiver and aircraft that are known to work.

Jim0000

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
Thanks Cliff. I will check all those possibilities.
The tx. is ok.
It might be the plug and pins, but that is just a guess.

More later...................

Jim.

Jim0000

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 06:26:42 am »
Are you using PWM signal from receiver to CC3D?  ................
Yes.
Maybe the yaw wire is damaged, usually at the connector.  Also unplug the CC3D connector and examine the tiny male connector parts in the connector shell in CC3D...............

Checked: it looks ok.

Plug a servo directly into the receiver yaw connection and see if that works.............

I have done that: it works.

Try a new, default airplane model in the transmitter; .................

My apologies upfront, but I don't know what you mean by "airplane model". Do you mean the fixed wing option and NOT a quadcopter? (That is what I understand as and "airplane").
Or do you mean a new "quad" in the LibrePilot transmitter settings page?

Test that transmitter with another receiver and aircraft that are known to work.

Done that test, and all ok and working.

Jim.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:57 pm »
My apologies upfront, but I don't know what you mean by "airplane model". Do you mean the fixed wing option and NOT a quadcopter?
Yes, but...  :)  Airplane models have 4 simple direct stick controls (you really need a 5th channel on a switch for flight mode also).  You don't want a "heli" model.  If it has an actual "multicopter" model then that is very probably correct also.  Older transmitters might not have a multicopter; and heli has pitfalls, so airplane is usually suggested.

I've got some Taranis transmitters, and to be honest I don't recall ever using the multicopter type.   :o  I should try it.  I suspect that the main difference is that you don't have to mentally equate e.g. airplane rudder and multicopter yaw.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:31:53 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Jim0000

In the Taranis tx. not the tx page in OpenPilot!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 12:03:47 am »
Oh, I now see what you mean.
By select a new airplane in the transmitter I assumed you meant the transmitter page in OpenPilot set up.

My mistake; sorry.

I will try that now. (However, when I plug a servo into the receiver yaw channel, the servo works indicating the  required signal is at least getting that far.
So, it does appear to me that this test would not be relevant, correct or not?

Thanks,

Jim.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:35:09 am »
Yaw function is coming out the receiver, so no need to try a different model in the transmitter.  CC3D cable is bad or CC3D yaw input pin is bad (or you have found a bug).

Just plug a different CC3D wire/connector into the receiver yaw output, verify that you now get a CC3D signal changing when you wiggle the yaw stick.  Re-run the transmitter wizard and it all should work.

Jim0000

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 05:21:39 am »
Thanks for the reply Cliff.
I have not yet found the bug.
I'll take a look and see if I can find a replacement cable, or make a new one up.

More later.............

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:32:34 pm »
No new cable needed.  Just pick one of the unused connectors that come from CC3D PPM input connector, unplug the current yaw connector (i.e. yaw servo connector) from receiver, and plug the different one in where the old yaw connector was.  Then re-run transmitter wizard.  Basically you are using a different CC3D wire and input channel to carry the known working receiver yaw channel; transmitter wizard sees and automatically configures to use whatever channel number you use for yaw (and others of course).  The code says "oh I see that channel #5 is moving after I tell the user to wiggle the yaw stick" instead of like channel 3 or whatever it was originally connected to.

(It's possible that it is something inside CC3D.  Replacing the cable won't fix that, but using a different CC3D channel as just described will fix it (unless the new CC3D channel is also broken, which is not likely)).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:43:11 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Jim0000

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:08:36 am »
No new cable needed.  Just pick one of the unused connectors that come from CC3D PPM input connector, unplug the current yaw connector (i.e. yaw servo connector) from receiver, and plug the different one in where the old yaw connector was. ......................

Thanks Cliff.
Apologies for this late reply, I had given up on this and only logged on this morning.
I'll try that this morning and report back.

Jim.

Jim0000

Yaw channel (still) not working in CC3D flight controller.
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:37 am »
I tried using channel 5 as the yaw input. The transmitter set up wizard recognised a PWM signal on channel 5, but it still does not operate the yaw function.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 02:36:15 am »
Did you re-run one of the wizards after you plugged an unused CC3D input into the receiver yaw output?

Did the wizard animation show all 5 of the channels were working?  Does the Input page Receiver Activity box now show that each function of 5 (4 sticks plus 1 switch) has activity and a different channel number?  If so, then simply rerunning the transmitter wizard or the whole setup wizard should work correctly and make all the functions work.

There are 3 large ( :) ) chips on the CC3D.  One of the 3 has 8 large ( :) ) leads.  Can you read the brand on that chip?  If it is "Winbond", or really anything besides "ST", then you have the CC3D "erase settings problem" that could be causing you some problems; and need to use a fixed firmware recently posted.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4912.msg32933#msg32933

See the transmitter (FrSky) instructions about how to enable any one of the transmitter switches, the default is that none of them do anything.  One small issue is that if you tell it that you don't have a flight mode switch, then the GCS transmitter animation that tells you which stick is moving ... doesn't move (a bug) even though everything but the visual effect is actually working and if you just follow the instructions and pretend that the animation is working, it will finish correctly.

Jim0000

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:34:42 am »
Did you re-run one of the wizards after you plugged an unused CC3D input into the receiver yaw output?...............

Yes.

Did the wizard animation show all 5 of the channels were working?  ...................
No.
Just Channels 1,2,3 & 5.
(I will check this again though, just to be sure, tonight).

Does the Input page Receiver Activity box now show that each function of 5 (4 sticks plus 1 switch) has activity and a different channel number?  If so, then simply rerunning the transmitter wizard or the whole setup wizard should work correctly and make all the functions work.............

I am not sure I understand this question, however I will go through it again and perhaps it will become clearer.

There are 3 large ( :) ) chips on the CC3D.  One of the 3 has 8 large ( :) ) leads.  Can you read the brand on that chip?  If it is "Winbond", or really anything besides "ST", then you have the CC3D "erase settings problem" that could be causing you some problems; and need to use a fixed firmware recently posted.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4912.msg32933#msg32933..................

I will check and follow up.

See the transmitter (FrSky) instructions about how to enable any one of the transmitter switches, the default is that none of them do anything.  One small issue is that if you tell it that you don't have a flight mode switch, then the GCS transmitter animation that tells you which stick is moving ... doesn't move (a bug) even though everything but the visual effect is actually working and if you just follow the instructions and pretend that the animation is working, it will finish correctly.

I will have to read that a couple of more times...........to understand it. Will do so tonight after the days work.

Thanks for hanging in here with me Cliff.

Jim.

Jim0000

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:33 am »
.................anything besides "ST", then ................

I pulled it out and checked. Mine is STM32F.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 07:28:22 am »
The STM32F is the main processor chip.  It has a LOT of tiny leads.  The ship we need to know about is the one with 8 (comparatively) large leads.  Or you can simply flash the matching version of the patched firmware without checking the flash ram brand.  It won't hurt.

If you verify the brand of the "large" 8 pin chip with "large pins" we can tell if that is your problem.  If you have this problem, it needs to be fixed before continuing, so either flash the fixed firmware or verify that the brand of the 8 pin chip is ST before continuing.

The Configuration->Input page has a "Receiver Activity" box in the upper right corner.

USB power does not power the RC receiver.  You need a flight battery plugged in for that.  So with it powered by a battery (probably through the ESC's voltage reduction BEC) and with USB also plugged in and the transmitter and receiver running, when you (one at a time) wiggle 4 stick directions and the flight mode switch, you should see the receiver activity box say that it sees activity on some channel number.  Each of the 5 RC functions should come across on a different channel number, and each stick function and the one switch should all show activity on some channel number.  If they don't, you need to re-run either the whole setup wizard or the transmitter setup wizard, but that will fail if you have a Winbond chip and are running unfixed firmware.