new to blheli - concept explanation
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:05:42 pm »
hi,

i have been flying rc helicopters for quite some time. now i'm getting into micro-helis, trying to make some modifications so they fly better and more powerfully.

i'm willing to use some blheli escs, what i had never done before, and i need some explanation about this software (blheli).

is it true that i should 'flash' (i'm assuming 'flash' means 'update the esc firmware'...) the esc for a specific type of motor i want to run? 'multi' for multi-rotors, 'tail' for helicopter tail motors and 'main' for helicopter main motors? other than that, when should I 'flash' the esc?

is there a url where i can find information about some basics of blheli?

thanks for any help.

Re: new to blheli - concept explanation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »
What you say about flashing and main/tail is true.

I would guess that you won't see an improvement just from switching to BLHeli.

Good heli with powerful motor and powerful battery are probably at the top of the list.

Google should give you some good places to research about BLHeli.  In particular, I use BLHeli Suite and suggest you search on that.

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Re: new to blheli - concept explanation
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02:50 am »
What you say about flashing and main/tail is true.

I would guess that you won't see an improvement just from switching to BLHeli.

Good heli with powerful motor and powerful battery are probably at the top of the list.

Google should give you some good places to research about BLHeli.  In particular, I use BLHeli Suite and suggest you search on that.

BLHELI is a excellent firmware for ESC, but it depends on the one you have. I usually use cheap ESC from china for my 450 Trex (Turnigy Plush,  Turnigy AE 45, ...) they usually dont have a working govenor mode, nor they are comfortable to program,  but for comfortable heli flying  its required to have a constant head speed.  You can get it by setting up a pitch/throttle curve on your transmitter (it takes alot of time to tune it), or you just let the governor (which good ESCs have) control the head speed.
For flashing a ESC you can use serveral Tools (i prefer a Arduino Uno in combination with a LCD Display. That one you can use for flashing and programming the ESC comfortable at the field.
At my Website (shameless advertising) i wrote a article about flashing a ESC with BLHELI, ist in german, but a translator may help you. Have a look here:

https://frickelnundmehr.wordpress.com/startseite/blheli/

Changed also the firmware on my eachine racer to BLHELI, but there the difference wasnt that big.

Udo

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:53:56 pm by utoedter »