ESC Burns
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »
I am new in RC. I am trying to assemble a f450 quad with 2212 motors and cheap 30 amp ESC. Already burnt 3 ESC. Can any one help me out

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: ESC Burns
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:37 pm »
Hi,
Can be screws too long doing a short with copper wire in motor mount.
Which motor Kv and props ?

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:17:24 pm »
Hi,
Can be screws too long doing a short with copper wire in motor mount.
Which motor Kv and props ?
2122 1400kv motor, Simonk 30A ESC, 1045 nylon props, cc3d flight controller. 1st ESC burnt during motor test. (No short circuits) I am new to RC but I am good in Electronics. 2nd ESC  burnt on first flight test. Vehicle was unstable throttle very sensitive just a little throttle and it took of
f 5 feet and flipped and crashed. Found another ESC not functioning properly. Changed the ESC calibrated throttle curve again it went up 10 feet and fell down facedown. When I reconnected the battery another ESC burnt. Yes, Vehicle shoots up very fast after calibrating the throttle curve to 60%max too. The weight of the Quad is around 800gms. Standard f450 frame used. Thanks for the support.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:25:26 pm by Pranaya »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
With 1400Kv under 3S, you may need 8" props
Usual Kv for 1045 props and 3S battery is around 1000Kv

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:42 pm »
With 1400Kv under 3S, you may need 8" props
Usual Kv for 1045 props and 3S battery is around 1000Kv
OK I will change the props. But what about ESC burn. Do u think the props are overloading the ESCs
Any way thanks. I will try the 8 inch props and post after that.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:37 pm »
Some people have no problems with "30A SimonK ESC", and some others do have. I have burned a lot more of them than you did :) So I'd just say the quality probably depends on batch you got. There is probably nothing wrong with what you do. Just get some better ones like FVT Littlebees, or DYS . Those I can recommend, they just use more modern design and better firmware (blheli).

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:57 pm »
OK I will change the props. But what about ESC burn. Do u think the props are overloading the ESCs
Those props do not match the current Kv in motor, this indeed may overload the Esc and with added quality problem, do not survive.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 10:48:45 pm »
My theory about those SimonK 30A escs are that firmware version that they are flashed with is too generic and does not account for low quality mosfets used - their switching time is too slow and often the firmware is creating short-circuit between + and - directly from battery. Further more, they do not have external oscillator which makes them unsuitable for any other fw. (Which I also believe would not help either).

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 11:03:42 pm »
Make sure that the motor wires can't touch and short out.  This is especially important if you use bullet connectors between motor and ESC.

Some people have no problems with "30A SimonK ESC", and some others do have. I have burned a lot more of them than you did :)

For another viewpoint :) I always use cheap eBay ESCs (less than $4 shipped).  I always flash the latest SimonK firmware.  I've never had one burn.  I have about 6 quads that all have the cheapest ESCs I could buy at the time, many are the SimonK 30A purchased from random sellers on eBay over the past few years.  Lately the HW30A are the cheapest.  I have one quad that uses BlHeli because the ESCs have a Silabs MCU.

When I receive them, I start with a simple test to make sure they are not dead on arrival (so I can get my money back).  I then flash the latest SimonK firmware on them.  I don't over prop.  My stuff is generally around 1000KV with 10x4.5 props or cut down to 9x4.5 for my F330's.  For 1400KV you really need to prop down to 8x4.

(SimonK does have a configurable "FET off period" which is set to different values for different firmwares.)

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 07:47:58 am »
Make sure that the motor wires can't touch and short out.  This is especially important if you use bullet connectors between motor and ESC.

Some people have no problems with "30A SimonK ESC", and some others do have. I have burned a lot more of them than you did :)

For another viewpoint :) I always use cheap eBay ESCs (less than $4 shipped).  I always flash the latest SimonK firmware.  I've never had one burn.  I have about 6 quads that all have the cheapest ESCs I could buy at the time, many are the SimonK 30A purchased from random sellers on eBay over the past few years.  Lately the HW30A are the cheapest.  I have one quad that uses BlHeli because the ESCs have a Silabs MCU.

When I receive them, I start with a simple test to make sure they are not dead on arrival (so I can get my money back).  I then flash the latest SimonK firmware on them.  I don't over prop.  My stuff is generally around 1000KV with 10x4.5 props or cut down to 9x4.5 for my F330's.  For 1400KV you really need to prop down to 8x4.

(SimonK does have a configurable "FET off period" which is set to different values for different firmwares.)
OK I think I would also try to upgrade the firmware of all ESCs. I have ordered some more ESCs and some 8045 props. I will seek help if I get suck I  something. Thanks for all the suggestions.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:53:04 am »
The Quadcopter  flew well for 3 minutes. It was pretty much in control after I replaced the propeller  1045 to 8045. But another ESC  burnt as I landed.
Not yet flashed the ESCs with latest firmware.
I don't want to buy more cheap ebay 30amp SimonK ESC any more.
Can any one help me choose the best ESCs for my quad ( f450, 1400kv cheap Chinese ebay motor, 8045 props and 3s lipo)

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 03:37:41 pm »

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »
I repaired the ESCs by replacing the SCR. And flashed them with latest Simonk firmware and now they are fine. Now no more ESC problem. But I am a bad pilot or some stabilization issue, I crash my quad when I fly it. I think I will figure it out. Thanks to all of you for helping me out.