MikeNH

Some GPS use questions please
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:03:46 am »
Revolution FC and Mini Ublox Neo-6M GPS on my 250 quad. I have a few GPS use questions please.

1 - With GPS installed, if I just want to fly and not solve GPS calibration problems, how can I temporarily disable GPS so the quad can be armed and flown?

2 - I've got Bluetooth enabled so that I can use Librepilot2Go (wonderful tool!). With that tool I can look at Objects=>GPSPositionSensor=>Satellites to see the progress in acquiring satellites. How does one determine that there is progress acquiring satellites without Librepilot2Go or Oplink?

3 - After spending the time and effort to go through the GPS sensor calibration process, if I export a good configuration, can that same configuration be imported eliminating the need to re-calibrate? This assumes that there have been no equipment or feature changes to the quad.

4 - How significant is the need calibrate temperature? Taking the quad apart to put the flight controller in the freezer again is not practical most times.

5 - I calibrated GPS sensors but apparently didn't do a good job. ATTI, STAB and MAG alarms were red. By tweaking the Configuration tab=>Settings=>Rotate virtual attitude...   I was able to get the alarms green without the need to go through the calibration process again. Flying in Attitude mode was fine. However, the moment I switched to PositionHold flight mode, the quad became unstable. Don't those adjustments effect GPSAssist?

Thank you

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:38:01 am by MikeNH »

Re: Some GPS use questions please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:25:49 am »
1 - use Basic, not INS13 in Attitude -> Settings -> AttEstAlgo
2 - when using INS13 you get med orange LED flash then med blue LED flash (repeat) when sats>=7 and other things, the orange LED flash will go from medium to quick
3 - yes, but be careful to always export and import via USB NOT RF/OPLINK (a bug)
4 - thermal cal makes baro work without rise/ fall due to FC temperature change as it warms up (etc)
5 - don't play with aux mag sensor orientation numbers, you must KNOW what is correct and use just that.  I2C aux mag needs 0,180,0   others need 0,0,0   this assumes that GPS/mag is mounted correctly.  It does have a correct direction.

MikeNH

Re: Some GPS use questions please
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:04 am »
Thank you... Do you ever sleep?

Your answers are very helpful but have triggered more questions. I won't belabor this thread without doing some research first.