College class recommendation
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:29:34 am »
Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out the best college class (or maybe even a book) that I could take (or read) that would get me started in autopilot type software like this. I am a EE so I've taken a basic control system class but I'm looking for something more practical. Something with example code, etc would be nice. I could just download the source for librepilot and tinker with it but I want to actually learn. Thanks!

Re: College class recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:55 am »
There are several levels and each builds on the one below it.

Rate stabilization is the lowest level.  You need to understand PIDs even at this level.  All levels use PIDs or something similar...
Attitude stabilization builds on Rate.
GPS position hold and waypoint flight builds on Attitude.
Vision processing can build on GPS or replace it.

I enjoyed watching Jurgen Sturm's classes a couple years ago when chauffeuring my wife around and waiting in libraries for hours.  They have got some interesting vision processing code working on small processors.  LSDSLAM or DSO would be very interesting as GPS replacements.
https://www.google.com/search?q=autonomous-navigation-flying-robots-tumx-autonavx-0

Re: College class recommendation
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:08:00 pm »
There are several levels and each builds on the one below it.

Rate stabilization is the lowest level.  You need to understand PIDs even at this level.  All levels use PIDs or something similar...
Attitude stabilization builds on Rate.
GPS position hold and waypoint flight builds on Attitude.
Vision processing can build on GPS or replace it.

I enjoyed watching Jurgen Sturm's classes a couple years ago when chauffeuring my wife around and waiting in libraries for hours.  They have got some interesting vision processing code working on small processors.  LSDSLAM or DSO would be very interesting as GPS replacements.
https://www.google.com/search?q=autonomous-navigation-flying-robots-tumx-autonavx-0

Awesome! That's just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks for your help!