greggles77

• Fly, Crash, Cry, Laugh, Fix, Fly, Repeat.
Apologies if this is a sensitive question - I recently asked who uses Librepilot on a national FPV forum, and got shouted down with comments saying it's outdated. And to use Betaflight.. Is this true? I like Librepilot but concerned that moving forward in my FPV drone hobby that it could be a handbreak..
Fly, Crash, Cry, Laugh, Fix, Fly, Repeat.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
Re: Is Librepilot outdated and no longer a valid choice for serious FPV?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:38:07 am »
Last time I have checked, there was no expiry date printed on the my LibrePilot firmware box. Soo.. I'd say it is still very good :) I had some experienced BF pilots try my LP builds recently, and none could spot a difference in performance.

To be honest, at the moment, if you run "next" branch you are not missing too much from BF when it comes to FPV racing.

- LP does not have I gain boost on rapid throttle increase - what BF calls "antigravity". This is being considered.
 - LP does not have ESC passthrough.
 - LP does not support as many FC boards as BF does.

None of these are essential for FPV racing, in my opinion.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:19:24 pm »
Just like in politics, you get people saying "mine is perfect and anything else is completely worthless".  You just bought a brand new Ford Mustang?  Someone will say to discard that piece of junk and buy a Chevrolet Camero instead of complementing you on having a nice car.  :(

The truth is that there are many good firmwares available now that only need tweaking to your liking.

The truth is that some firmware features do make a difference in that the quad is easier to fly the way you want it to fly.

The truth is that you should fly what works well for you and what features you like and what you find easy to install and maintain.

The truth is that humans can't take advantage of the fastest response times.  If a human takes 0.20 seconds to respond, it doesn't really matter if the quad adds .002 or .00002 seconds to that.  It matters that the human consistently responds in 0.20 seconds (not 0.21) and with exactly the correct control stick movements.  Oops, Cliff edited to fix a decimal place error.

The truth is that no it doesn't matter if the gyro chip is in the center of the FC (they tried to walk that back, saying it was just a joke) as any 1st year physics student will tell you.

Don't take my word for it.  Build a few cheap quads and experiment with the different firmwares.  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:40:40 pm by TheOtherCliff »

ernstock

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:49 am »
I was disappointed to find no equivalent to the three banks ( in one flight mode ) when I tried bf.
 Also got a bit fed up with folk deciding that anything less than f7 (?) expensive flight controllers were pointless.
Am still happy with librepilot and inexpensive F1 Cc3d.
Made this vid in the summer

(Moderator changed the youtu.be link to a youtube.com link so it can be played)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:51:09 pm by TheOtherCliff »

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 12:20:26 pm »
Just like in politics, you get people saying "mine is perfect and anything else is completely worthless".  You just bought a brand new Ford Mustang?  Someone will say to discard that piece of junk and buy a Chevrolet Camero instead of complementing you on having a nice car.

The truth is that there are many good firmwares available now that only need tweaking to your liking.

The truth is that some firmware features do make a difference in that the quad is easier to fly the way you want it to fly.

The truth is that you should fly what works well for you and what features you like and what you find easy to install and maintain.

The truth is that humans can't take advantage of the fastest response times.  If a human takes 0.20 seconds to respond, it doesn't really matter if the quad adds .002 or .00002 seconds to that.  It matters that the human consistently responds in 0.20 seconds (not 0.21) and with exactly the correct control stick movements.  Oops, moderator Cliff edited to fix a decimal place error.

The truth is that no it doesn't matter if the gyro chip is in the center of the FC (they tried to walk that back, saying it was just a joke) as any 1st year physics student will tell you.

Don't take my word for it.  Build a few cheap quads and experiment with the different firmwares.
I agree with you
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:39:53 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36:47 pm »
Last time I have checked, there was no expiry date printed on the my LibrePilot firmware box. Soo.. I'd say it is still very good :) I had some experienced BF pilots try my LP builds recently, and none could spot a difference in performance.

To be honest, at the moment, if you run "next" branch you are not missing too much from BF when it comes to FPV racing.

- LP does not have I gain boost on rapid throttle increase - what BF calls "antigravity". This is being considered.

Ok so why would I use LibrePilot? 

For mulitcopters ive been through the whole saga of  baseflight,  cleanflight, betaflight and raceflight. For fpv racing betaflight and raceflight are very mature. 

For fixed wing I've done ardupilot and now inav...

Where does LibrePilot fit?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Brian

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »

Ok so why would I use LibrePilot? 

For mulitcopters ive been through the whole saga of  baseflight,  cleanflight, betaflight and raceflight. For fpv racing betaflight and raceflight are very mature. 

For fixed wing I've done ardupilot and now inav...

Where does LibrePilot fit?

I think that question has been answered. There are plenty of good FC firmwares today, and they all do pretty much the same thing with minor differences. It's up to you to decide which one fits your needs the best and choose that one.

I personally think that the firmware design of LP is more elegant than most others, which attracted me as a developer, but that makes little difference to the average user. LP also supports pretty much all uses you might want to use it for (multi-rotor, fixed wing, racing, navigation, and has even been used out-of-the-box for some pretty unusual configuration in the past) in one firmware/GCS. I don't think it has a niche that it is obviously the best at, but it supports most uses pretty well.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 11:58:52 pm »

.., but that makes little difference to the average user.

Ok thanks. I'll stick with BF....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mr27t

• Fly it like ya stole it!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:09:23 am »
 I'm a newbie to all of this, but if it were not for Librepilot I would have given up on all of this quadcopter stuff a month ago when I completed my first build.
  I built my first ever "Real" quadcopter last month and installed a CC3D FC to the frame. I started with Betaflight and soon became very lost and confused, so I then switched to Cleanflight with much the same troubles. Then I learned about the feud between Betaflight and Cleanflight and discovered they are much both the same, just two once upon a time were partners playing as one are now in a pissing contest with each other. This seriously is hurting both Betaflight and Cleanflight because nether is giving proper attention to what is going on or of the needs of the industry as a whole.
  As a result, I turned to Librepilot and found it to be very user friendly and in very short time I had my first build up and flying before lunch just from the initial default settings of the GCS!
  Maybe I just got lucky with Librepilot, or maybe not,,, I do not know.
  What I do know is that I am having a total blast with my new build, tweaking on the settings to get it into the sweet spot and piloting my aircraft using Librepilot GCS and I'm learning more each and every day I play.
  I for one thank you so very much for all the hard work that you and the team have done to make this all possible. I look forward to what is coming in the future, in particular with the librepilot2Go project for Andriod.

To the Librepilot nae sayers,,, I wish you the best of luck with Betaflight or Cleanflight! By the way, did I see anything Betaflight2Go or Cleanflight2Go? I don't know, I could be wrong.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »
I'm a newbie to all of this, but if it were not for Librepilot I would have given up on all of this quadcopter stuff a month ago when I completed my first build.
  I built my first ever "Real" quadcopter last month and installed a CC3D FC to the frame. I started with Betaflight and soon became very lost and confused, so I then switched to Cleanflight with much the same troubles. Then I learned about the feud between Betaflight and Cleanflight and discovered they are much both the same, just two once upon a time were partners playing as one are now in a pissing contest with each other. This seriously is hurting both Betaflight and Cleanflight because nether is giving proper attention to what is going on or of the needs of the industry as a whole.
  As a result, I turned to Librepilot and found it to be very user friendly and in very short time I had my first build up and flying before lunch just from the initial default settings of the GCS!
  Maybe I just got lucky with Librepilot, or maybe not,,, I do not know.
  What I do know is that I am having a total blast with my new build, tweaking on the settings to get it into the sweet spot and piloting my aircraft using Librepilot GCS and I'm learning more each and every day I play.
  I for one thank you so very much for all the hard work that you and the team have done to make this all possible. I look forward to what is coming in the future, in particular with the librepilot2Go project for Andriod.

To the Librepilot nae sayers,,, I wish you the best of luck with Betaflight or Cleanflight! By the way, did I see anything Betaflight2Go or Cleanflight2Go? I don't know, I could be wrong.
Gotta say I complete disagree with you.  I used OpenPilot back when the CC3D was a new board. The GCS kept improving over time but tuning your qwad was tough and took a considerable amount of time.  I got quite disillusioned when the OpenPilot Dev team split...  I didn't touch a qwad for over a year(this also coincided with the whole FAA Registration BS).  Coming back into the hobby with the hyper dominance of Betaflight, I gave it a shot and I was amazed.  Builds just work out of the  box, very little tuning needed and I can get builds locked in with very little tuning.  Also the integrated OSD, ESC Passthrough, and CLI are fantastic add ons.  Also there isn't a need for a specific app for phones because their UI runs as a Chrome app(which I would think you would know if you actually did try Betaflight).

I can't say that I'm died in the wool BF, because I still follow OP/LP and "hope they get the band back together" or at least update the hardware.

Schugy

• Webspace
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 04:05:54 pm »
because their UI runs as a Chrome app
I don't run Chrome and an Ubuntu PPA is very convenient. CC3D isn't longer supported by BF. But a fast LP CLI application with virtually no dependencies would rock. 8)