Mjjota

ESC with different Rate in PWM and farily different neutral point
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:30 am »
Hi all, I recently built a Robocat 270, cc3d, EMX SimonK 12A ESC and FLysky i6 receiver. after all set ups my drone flipped over when i tried to take off. I realize I did not configure the ESC properly. After watching several videos there a couple of questions I have about Output configuration in Librepilot.
1.- After all my configuration was done with PWM I had my Banks 1 & 2 set to 490Hz rate , but the 3 & 4 to 50Hz. Is this normal? I read an email that ALL should be at the same value. SO i moved all of them to 490Hz. Is this OK?
2.- I run several times the ESC configuration (Take it to Max, connect battery, then to Min after 1st beep and os on... ) The problem is that the Neutral point is 1041-1042-1037-1044 respectivelly for each motor. I read that the difference should not be higher than 2-3. Is this correct? when I move the motors with my hand with no power I can feel that the motor with neutral point at 1037, moves much smoother than the other 3. It is almost like there is no resistance at all. Is this OK,

Can anybody give advice?

thanks

Re: ESC with different Rate in PWM and farily different neutral point
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:03 am »
Each bank typically controls several channels.  You need to make sure that all 4 of your ESC channels are running the same update rate.  That does not mean that all the banks need it.

But if you aren't using any outputs besides the ESCs, just set them all the same if you want.

Then run ESC calibration and neutral setting.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/12058743/ESC+Calibration

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:54:14 am »
Regarding your question #2 - yes it is normal that motors have different neutral settings due to imperfect manufacturing process, and the whole point of setting the neutral is to make them behave the same when commanded by flight controller firmware.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 12:39:29 pm »
Another factor is heat.  Inexpensive ESCs don't have an external crystal oscillator and so they change calibration a little with changing temperature.  The warmer they get, the higher the number needs to be to keep them running slowly.  For these ESCs (all the ones I have are cheap like this) I recommend you add about 20 to the number you find during neutral setting so that they still run slowly at neutral when they are hotter.

If you aren't working your ESC really hard, it turns out that the BEC in the ESC actually produces more heat than running the motor does.  Manufacturing tolerances of the BECs means that one of the ESC/BECs will be doing most of the work and that one ESC/BEC will get hotter, just sitting there with motors stopped not flying.  That hotter ESC will need a higher neutral setting.