Why does my quad yaw when I bank in Self Level mode?
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »
Just flashed my CC3D board wuthbthe latest librepilot and am really confused when hovering in Self Level mode. If I yaw with the left stick (mode 2) it yaws as expected. However if I bank with the right stick, it banks and yaws! It seems like it want to do a piroette around a point.
When flying in rate mode it behaves normally, so I know it's getting the right signals, which makes me think it may be a feature that I've accidentally enabled. Is there a way to turn this off?

Mateusz

Re: Why does my quad yaw when I bank in Self Level mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:48 pm »
Cruise control on thrust should apply more thrust when banking, pirouette compensation will prevent yaw when banking if enabled https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Piro+Comp
Check these two things I guess.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:59:21 am »
So you can bank in Attitude mode and it yaws (it shouldn't), but if you bank with the same roll rate in Rate mode it doesn't yaw?  No other differences between the two mode switch positions?

Is this with stock PIDs or with PIDs you tuned yourself?

I think this would usually be caused by there still being some range left in the power being requested from one or more motors, but when that power is requested, it doesn't happen.  That would usually be ESC calibration or props too big.

Is this a fairly underpowered quad?  I would start out by calibrating all ESCs and setting motor neutrals.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »
The quad is an Eachine racer 250 on triblade props, using recommended pids from Racer guide.
When I bank in Attitude mode (to hover to the side) there is also a positive yaw evident in the quad. Hover right/yaw left and hover left/yaw right, so if held it orbits around a point in front of the quad.
It flies normally in Rate mode.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:55:35 pm »
You maybe enabled the FPV camera tilt compensation with some angle value set in one bank and uses another bank with angle set to 0 for Rate.

Configuration > Stabilization tab > Advanced tab > FPV camera tilt compensation

This feature looks strange while flying LOS but gives a natural behavior while flying FPV
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/FPV+camera+tilt+compensation

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:01 pm »
That would usually be ESC calibration or props too big.

Is this a fairly underpowered quad?  I would start out by calibrating all ESCs and setting motor neutrals.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

Did you recalibrate your ESCs and re-set motor neutrals?

Or is it an RC issue in that it (perhaps your transmitter) has rudder/yaw mixed in to roll/aileron?  Plug battery and USB both in and (with it disarmed) go to the Input page.  Move and hold the roll stick and watch that (after some delay) the roll slider moves.  Did the yaw slider move too?  If it does then the problem happens before LP even gets the signal... it looks (to the FC) like that (yaw) is exactly what you are doing.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:40:59 pm »
Move and hold the roll stick and watch that (after some delay) the roll slider moves.  Did the yaw slider move too?  If it does then the problem happens before LP even gets the signal... it looks (to the FC) like that (yaw) is exactly what you are doing.

Almost sure the issue is not a Roll/Yaw mixing into the radio because the Rate flightmode works fine.

"Hover right/yaw left and hover left/yaw right so if held it orbits around a point in front of the quad." as described by Akceller8 is exactly what the FPV camera tilt compensation do, his Attitude flightmode / bank will simply use the feature and the Rate flightmode / bank not.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:24:11 am »
I only raised the question because some transmitters can set a different flight condition (including different mixes).  It probably is FPV tilt compensation.  I started writing the response before you posted yours and still wanted to know if he had recalibated ESCs.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
. You said in your first post that you using recommend pids? Are you referring to the ones that you can download from the file in librepilot?  If not, where did you get them from?