PaulO

which FC?
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:27:41 am »
Hi all:

I'm wondering about which FC everyone prefers. What's everyone's thoughts?

Personally I'm thinking the Revo but I know very little about them so I think anyone and everyone should leave their thoughts.

Re: which FC?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:34:15 am »
If there is a chance that you may want GPS flight modes or altitude (baro) modes, go with a Revo class FC.  If   cheap is the main thing that matters ($10 vs. $40), and you only want simple racing go CC3D.

Revo class includes several sizes of FC from Nano (no telemetry) to Revo to Sparky2 to mini Revo (full featured or minus telemetry).

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:51:20 pm »
Cc3d came in mine and I haven't had any issues. its basic and
simple, that's what I needed. Also I just downloaded a template of the vehical and it fly's amazing I lucked out for sure.  I have been thinking about upgrading and if I do I would get the revo nano.  My flying style is more freestyle/racer so I don't need any of the  extras. I just want it for its processor and size. The reason I haven't bought one yet is cuz there's no reason to the cc3d takes care of me
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:57:19 pm by wayne g »

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:47 pm »
I don't know if it would be race legal, but baro (or even sonar) controlled altitude hold/vario would be interesting in a racer.  For actual racing, the high speed and extreme maneuvers would make it less accurate than normal, but it still would require less throttle management than manual.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:20 am »
Well I don't actually race I just meantI race around freestyling/ just flying with my friends. But can you turn off sensors that you don't need or want?  That's above and beyond what the fc  need to fly.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:38:48 am »
You can buy a Revo and fly it like a CC3D and don't even calibrate the unused sensors.

(CC3D)
The only sensor you must have is gyro.  That gives you rate mode.
Accels give you auto leveling, attitude mode.

(Revo)
Baro gives you altitude hold etc. which is very helpful for novice pilots.  This doesn't even use the GPS.
GPS+mag (baro also needed) gives you GPS flight modes.  Absolutely anyone that can drive an RC car can fly VelocityRoam mode (a GPS mode).

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:16:04 pm »
Core families
You have F1 (CC3D), F3 and F4 (Rev) hardware on the market. F3 is newer and fills the gap between F1 and F4. F3 has the core of F4 but running at lower clock, also a bit less RAM but more than F1. Also F3 has hardware inverter for serial port which can be handy for FrSky telemetry. There are several F3 boards supported by LP in next, but no GUI for all of them yet.

What is more important clock or ram ?
You shouldn't care about CPU cycles too much, people will always need more and more CPU to calculate faster, without flight benefit. What you care mostly is RAM I think which allows more features to run.

With Revo you can for example use Autotune module, which automatically attempts to tune your PIDs. You have to validate them yourself of course, it's not a good idea just to run it and fly it. Some pilots experience this module to give over-estimated yaw PIDs and have to tune their PIDs using other methods (i.e EasyTune or more time consuming Ziegler-Nichols method).

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:53:59 pm »
There are also Omnibus F4 and F3 from Airbot, that are packed with features and are of really great build quality. They even come with OSD chip integrated and controlled directly by main processor.
I am currently flying these (Omnibus F4 Pro v2) with LibrePilot of course. Version that can be flashed onto them is in my repository, and I hope to have that polished up really soon (summer time it is, so things are slightly delayed) and ready for inclusion in next.