ggrif

HobbyWing Xrotor Cal/start up beep questions
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »
I've been noodling,Googling this for a few days...time to ask for some help

I've set up a new DIY frame with a BG Revo (known good) new 40A HobbyWing X Rotor ESC's, SunnySkty X4110S-20 400 kv motors and APC 16x5.5 props with 6S HRB 5000mAh battery.

When I erase and load 16.9 fw, go through the setup wizard, PPM/Rapid ESC/Naza GPS and get to the ESC calibration step answer all the questions, hit start, plug in battery...ESC's beep once, faintly, then nothing on STOP button.  I go on to set Output Calibration step, all start up at 1050, seem to work fine.  Go on to complete Radio setup, no problems.  Disconnect batt and USB, connect batt., frame arms and motors seem to run ok.

So I'm nervous about whether or not the ESC's are setup correctly and since this thing is so big and heavy I don't want to fly it until I'm more comfortable.  Incidentally, it HAS flown well in the past with Littlebee 30's, the Hobbywing 40's were an upgrade to enable the use of more power.

I am familiar with the manual setup procedure described in the Wiki using just the GCS...it didn't work either.  I linked all the motors, move sliders to max, plugged in frame, one beep, quickly move all sliders to 0...numerous trys, didn't work.

So I'm tempted to put the props on and just go fly but would appreciate some advice before I do so.

So, are these Xrotor esc's supposed to emit start up beeps like every other esc I've use these past years?  And why wont they Cal like every other esc I've used?

Re: HobbyWing Xrotor Cal/start up beep questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:50:34 am »
I don't understand what the problem is.   :o  Do you think that the ESCs are not calibrated?  Props off, you can test with Output page Test Outputs and verify that:
1 - motors run slowly at neutral
2 - motors are stopped at min
3 - motors increase nicely and get to max RPM probably a little before getting to max on the slider

If it ran OK with 30A ESCs and the 40A's act like the 30A's, you won't be able to tell a difference.  The 30A's weren't "holding it back".  The only thing bad about the 30A's is that they may burn out if you over amped them.

No matter what the signal the ESC is getting, it should make some kind of beep when you apply battery power.  I confess that I haven't tried PWMSync with max=2000 though because I know it is not valid.

If you are running PWMSync, you need to reduce the max=2000 to max=1900 before doing the ESC calibration (do ESC calibration again at 1900).  If it still doesn't work, try PWM 490 then PWM 400, doing ESC calibration each time.

ggrif

Re: HobbyWing Xrotor Cal/start up beep questions
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »
I don't understand what the problem is.   :o

Haha, neither do I, I guess. 

Just looking for others using Hobbywing xrotors to know what to expect.

I'm so used to hearing "beep,beep,beep...beep..beep" on power up that hearing only a faint "beep" on power up makes me nervous  :-\.  Plus the fact that the ESC Cal step didn't go as expected and manual cal failed makes me really nervous.  :-\ :-\

But, I have tested motor outputs, all seem fine.  Values set at 1000, 1050, 1900.  I've never set PWMSync to 2000 BTW. 

Anyway, despite the fact that the "beeps" aren't what I'm used to and that I cannot manually calibrate the ESC's and because the outputs are OK I'm doing some test flights and tuning today.  First flight went fine.  8)