JHBDrones

• WELCOME to me, and my first time building drones
HELP please.
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:41 pm »
Iam new to all this and i really need help.
so i have been having problems with my QAV250 lately. and i could really use some advice.
so here the parts iam using- :'(

2300KV motors (Emax) 4x
12A Blheli Simon-K ESC's 4x
Full carbon fiber frame (not lumenier) QAV250 variant
CC3D flight controller
FS-R6B receiver 6-channels (flysky)
FS-4TB transmitter 4-channels (flysky)
CHNL 2200 Mah Battery 30-60C
70-45 props x4 (red)
software used for setting up- Libre Pilot GCS 16.09 rhino.

So i have a multitude of problems, first of all, the idle speeds for the motors that i tried to set are all different. so in one motor it starts to spin at 1061 then the others are just random speeds, now based from i know, since iam using all the same motors, they should have same speeds, but so far, its just been a pain, and yes i've updated the board and erased all settings before starting. then in the software, i dont if its a hardware thing or whatever, but in the transmitter setup wizard, during the first like 5 steps work fine, but when it comes to the move all controls to its maximum part, the diagram does not respond forcing me to refer to the activity box located above. the same goes for the next 3 steps. this is my first quadcopter build and iam still in highschool, but so far its caused me more money for repairs from damages and replacing of parts. the wires are all soldered, i even checked if its the battery, but so far its been great. and at my first testing, i think it worked, but it doesn't fly, i pushed my throttle to max, sure the motors spun but it didn't take off and the weight of the drone with the battery is about 540-580 grams, (battery-127g)(frame+parts= 400g).
iam also not a bad flyer by the way, i own a parrot A.R. 2.0 and a DJI mavic pro, so i don't know why this build is such a pain. if anyone could help me it would be great.

so in summary here are my problems, in which i hope others can also learn from my mistakes.
1. the idle speeds are all different. (motors)
2. the diagram for showing movement on the sticks for my transmitter during the transmitter setup phase is not working,but the first 5 steps for choosing a mode and the controls like yaw,pitch,roll,throttle all work fine. making it hard for me to know what stick movement works or not. (software or hardware)
3. it for some reason doesn't want to lift off, even though i know the motors each produce 440g max (1760g max on all motors). (motors or ESC or battery)

additional info-
Battery produces 7.4v 30-60C (66 amps @30C/ 132 amps @60) Battery Weighs 127g.
Amp requirement for ESC's- 48 amps.

Re: HELP please.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
The idle speed issue you mention is just another calibration you need to do.  It is called ESC calibration and it actually stores the information inside each ESC so that it knows to start running at a different pulse width / signal level.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

Most people would be using a 3s (11.1v) battery instead of a 2s battery, but with that you would require smaller props.  Generally the limiting factor is the max amps that the motor can take.  Watts (= power = thrust) is amps times volts, so 3s basically can give you 50% more thrust.  But if it won't lift with 2s, it won't really be robust enough with 3s.  Do you have all your motor directions correct and prop types (CW/CCW) correct?
#1 NW = CW (northwest = clockwise)
#2 NE = CCW
#3 SE = CW
#4 SW = CCW

And the tiny lettering on the props "7045" or "7.0x4.5" facing up.  I don't know how familiar you are with motors and props.  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:44:31 pm by TheOtherCliff »

JHBDrones

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »
yes, its all in the correct polarity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »
The most common problem with "transmitter sticks not moving in GCS setup wizard is that (props off) you must have the flight battery plugged in because the RC receiver (and anything else plugged into the FC, like GPS, OSD) does not get power otherwise.

One of the wizard pages sets the stick throw too, so maybe you just need to successfully run the transmitter wizard to get the throttle stick throw correct to get enough throttle to lift off.

Just go to the Input -> RCInput page and press "Start Transmitter Wizard" if you have already completed the full setup wizard and don't want to do the whole thing over again.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:52:49 pm by TheOtherCliff »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:48 pm »
the diagram for showing movement on the sticks for my transmitter during the transmitter setup phase is not working,

Seems you didn't choose / set a flightmode switch and skip his detection step.
Simply adjust your Rc radio so a switch is mapped to a receiver output used as flightmode switch and redo the transmitter wizard.

JHBDrones

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:37 am »
ok thanks guys, ill apply the changes. :)

JHBDrones

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:19:19 am »
okay so i followed all the steps above, but i still cant get the stick movements at the "move sticks to maximum extents" part, then it also fails to show movement at the end so i can verify, but so far it is not really working. at the start of the transmitter set-up wizard it all works fine, like the first 5 steps- choosing a purpose then mode, and i choose no flight mode, so i will only have 1 mode. then i skipped accessory 1,2,3,4 since i only have 4 channels then i centered all my trims and control to the center, and i still have my battery connected btw, then i continued on, now when it said to move all controls to their maximum extents, it doesn't move, the only thing that works is the activity box located above. then afterwards it asks if my sticks have an inverted movement, but like again, the diagram does not move so i clicked next, cause i have no idea what happening. so then it said to save and check if it mimics my sticks movements, but again, the diagram does not move. so then i clicked next which brought me the arming settings, and i armed it, to see, cause without the diagram moving, my only way to know, is to check it for my self, and it still does not work, now this caused my ESC to go on fire, and so far its just been a disaster, iam thinking of canceling this whole ordeal. this has caused me more money than when i planned it. could someone please give me a list of steps of which i can follow to fix this.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:05:55 am »
i choose no flight mode, so i will only have 1 mode.

If you skip flightmode, the sticks movement do not work for next steps.
You must use / configure a switch for flightmode.

JHBDrones

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »
if i only have 4 channels or 4 switches for my transmitter, how will i configure it to the flight mode?

Mateusz

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 02:47:04 pm »
if i only have 4 channels or 4 switches for my transmitter, how will i configure it to the flight mode?

If you have 4 channels from your receiver, then you use them for pitch, roll, yaw, thrust and that's it. If you want more like changing flight mode, accessories you need  more channels. Just use receiver that has more than 4 channels.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »

If you have 4 channels from your receiver, then you use them for pitch, roll, yaw, thrust and that's it. If you want more like changing flight mode, accessories you need  more channels. Just use receiver that has more than 4 channels.

Not only the receiver needs more than 4 channels, also your radio transmitter should have more than 4 channels and of course, both of them should be compatible with each other :)

JHBDrones

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:30:04 pm »
what i meant by is, how will i configure another flight mode if i just have 1 which is the roll,throttle,pitch and yaw. or just 2 sticks.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »
I guess this is a problem to be worked around.

When running the transmitter wizard part of setup wizard and you get to the 3 places that don't work, press next on each one
you will get a warning, ignore it.
save your arming settings when you get there (done with setup wizard)
select the "Remote Control Input" tab at the top of the screen (inside the Configuration -> Input tab on the left)
press "Start Manual Calibration"
move all sticks to their maximum positions in all directions several times and make sure the mins and maxes look OK
center the sticks (throttle doesn't matter)
press "Stop Manual Calibration"
press Save

That should fix it for you.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »
@Cliff Your workaround is useless unnecessary / not needed because the issue is only related to the stick movement display.
So there is no need to do a manual calibration, the TX wizard works fine with the only limitation you cannot see the stick movement/animation and choose a channel to be reverted at end.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:43:10 pm by f5soh »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 09:22:57 pm »
Here is a workaround for users that do not use flightmode.

When the wizard ask to move the stick to extend, the sticks do not move on screen... it doesn't matter.

For the last step where the stick movement need to be checked and reverted is needed (jump to 0:40 in video):
- Go to the UAVOBrowser and search for "FlightModeNumber" UAVO
- Set the value to 1 and Save

Go back to the last step "Check if reversed" and you can see the sticks moving on the screen and select the channels to be reversed.