[incorrect report] a virus has been added to librepilot
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
I downloaded librepilot yesterday and I thought I had downloaded a virus but it turns out I had not.
My antivirus software (360 total security) is overprotective. First it told me that librepilot was a ransom malware, gave me a false impression that librepilot (now a virus) was doing internet shopping and finally told me it was interfering with my photos. I realize now that it was probably just overprotective. I have downloaded librepilot before and had never had any problems.360 total security has made false alarms before but they have never been as scary to this false alarm.I am downloading it again now (and ignoring all those buzzers). Now I am having problems with what I think is the failsafe, can anyone help me.
Thanks and sorry

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:55:18 am by Neil »

Re: ATTENTION a virus has been added to librepilot!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:28 pm »
Hi,
can you please be more specific?
What is the url you have used to download the package?

Thanks.

filnet

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:18 pm »
Yes please be more specific :
- version of LibrePilot GCS, for which OS and where it was downloaded from
- name and version of the antivirus that "detected" the virus
- name of the virus

Note that we had false alerts in the past. Sometimes antivirus generate false positives.  Happens...

Just shouting ATTENTION is not very helpful.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
One of the best sites to test to see if a file is infected is https://www.virustotal.com/
Upload it there and you get it scanned by many different AV products to see how many of them report a problem.  Often you find that the file has already uploaded and tested and get an instant result.

If you find that it is infected, post back here to tell us, and we will upload a copy as well.  It is possible that your machine is infected and has infected the file you downloaded.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:54 am »
As all files in the download section have been verified and given there have been no other feedback i guess either the files were downloaded from a site other than the official website or it is a false positive.
For this reason i'm changing the subject of this post.

Alessio

Re: [incorrect report] a virus has been added to librepilot
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
I guess that has been done just now, after this thread started?

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:57:18 am »
I updated my first post. (At the top)

filnet

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:44:50 pm »
Neil,

Thanks for updating your post.

LibrePilot GCS issues a bunch of outgoing network requests when it is started (to get news and activity feeds, check if a newer version exists and eventually others).
May be this is what throws off your antivirus.

Unfortunately there is no way to turn off some of these requests.

gitit20

• If it will fly I will crash it.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:00 am »
I have not had it happen in a LONG time but a time before I had avast get really pissed off at it and refused to let me install it. I reported it as a false positive and added it to the ignore list. Most antiviruses had this option, but some can be a pain to find.

a good habit to get into is after downloading anything just right click it and select scan with (whatever AV program you use) and scan it.

Do the best you can It's all you can do.