karla

How to enable the AutoTune module manually?
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
Hi,
I have been using the fantastic Autotune function on two different quads 180 respectively 240 and it worked well over my expectations. Both frames are designed to be reconfigurable for fpv, photo jobs or casual flights with short notice. So I have put Accessory 1 to a turning nob on transmitter to use the SmoothQuick function.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/AutoTune
If you do enable the AutoTune module manually then it will always be running, even if there is no AutoTune flight mode in your FMS.  In that case your SmoothQuick Accessory knob is always active to change the PIDs in the destination PID bank (default 3) and you can adjust PIDs from smooth to quick any time you want to.

Sounds just what I want!
but How to enable the AT module manually?
Likely something obvious I missed...

hwh

Re: How to enable the AutoTune module manually?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:17:04 pm »
System tab -> Settings -> HwSettings -> Optional Modules -> AutoTune  and then send and save at the top of the screen.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »
Be aware that SmoothQuick simply tunes the current PIDs more towards smooth or quick.  It is best (but not required) to use a different tuning if you change the weight (add a camera), props, number of lipo cells; so generally thrust or weight changes.

That said, you can tune it with the heavier/slower setup and always use that.  It will just have a little slower response than it could have when actually flying the light setup.  If you tune with the lighter/powerful setup and then add weight (a camera), you might get oscillations, just like tuning with fast ESCs and then changing to slow ESCs would give you oscillations.

The PID banks feature is great for setups needing heavy vs. light PIDs.  Tune with camera, set SQ smoother, copy it (default is that it is written to  bank #3) to bank #1.  Tune it without camera, set SQ quicker (if that is what you want), copy it to bank #2.  Set up your FMS to use the different banks (#1 and #2) with different switch positions.  You now have an FMS switch position for stunt/light and another one for camera/heavy.  SQ still modifies bank #3.  You probably don't want SQ enabled after setting this up.  SmoothQuick uses the single currently stored (most recent tune) AT math data.  If you did the 'light' tune last (so 'light' AT math data is current) then any PIDs written by SQ will be with 'light' settings.

If you still want SQ permanent (with two tunes stored in different banks), the way to handle that is to do the tune that you want to play with last (stunt/light in this example).  Then change the AT output bank (in System->Settings->SystemIdentSettings) to point to the PID bank where you have that (stunt/light is in #2 in this example).  In that case you will only see the effect of the knob while flying stunt/light.  (Or just use PID bank #3 for stunt/light.  No copy bank for stunt/light.  No changing the AT output bank.)

karla

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:57:16 am »
Thanks guys!
I got it, all make good sense.

I think I will also try to do two different tunings light vs heavy and store them in bank #1 respectively #2 then copy them over to #3 when flying and have the SmoothQuick nob affecting it.