eephyne

Forum reward
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:18:36 am »
Hello

It's surely not the right place to ask but I feel the about section is not the one either...

I was just wondering if (it's clearly not a priority obviously) it could be possible to add a reward badges system like on the op forum?  It was kind of fun to see some of the stupid one and challenging too (I still want to try fishing with my multirotor)

Whatever your answer thanks for all your hard work and this awesome project.

Re: Forum reward
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »
Good suggestion.  I know that people had a good time acquiring their "Scout Badges" on OP forum.

Let's see what others say.  :)

cato

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:22:23 pm »
+1
like the idea :)
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

filnet

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 10:06:49 pm »
Users of the forum might be able to create their own award system.

An official page post owned by a self appointed "admin" lists who has which awards.
Then users can show their awards in their signature.

Not sure it will work ;)

cato

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:14:30 am »
Better to use something like this one: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=539

:)

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:11:48 am »
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but speaking from past experience, while the awards may be 'fun' to get and to also see what other users have done/achieved, it does take a fair bit of work for a small group (or even just one person). The problem then gets compounded if/when that person moves away as this void then needs to be filled by someone else.

For me, flying multi-rotors and being involved in projects like this needs to be about fun, and keeping things in perspective.

My concern is that the time taken for rewards may not be that rewarding for those directly involved and may take away their time that could be better spent in other areas such as working on future developments or just being able to get out and fly.

Hope this makes some sense and I also hope that this is not taken in a negative manner as that is not my intention.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

cato

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 08:22:45 am »
Those concerns need to be kept in mind @ArnhemAnt, I think what you say is very valid. Keeping such a thing running can be a lot work, and it certainly should not keep one person busy who otherwise would love to fly or develop new stuff. So keep it reasonable, if it can be managed by the team or someone volunteers to do, it's fine. If not, it's fine either :)
Those awards are fun for many forum members, but not crucial.

eephyne

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 02:13:10 pm »
I totally agree with you ArnhemAnt.

So we need a system that can be really easy to maintain with multiple peoples, if its not possible we sould let go the idea as it should not be a chore for anyone.

Like moderator, I suppose a group of "rewardor" could be created and should be more accessible than moderator (its not like its a critical point of the forum).

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 09:35:17 am »
Okay. Let's see where this goes. So, who here is willing to jump in and help set this up and then maintain it?
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

eephyne

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:35 am »
Okay. Let's see where this goes. So, who here is willing to jump in and help set this up and then maintain it?
I'm okay to create badge, review video and reply to peoples. (If my English suits you enough for that of course)

(I'm okay to help creating this too even if I don't think as a simple user I could do lot, since this require admin right)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:26:02 am by eephyne »

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »

[/quote]

(I'm okay to help creating this too even if I don't think as a simple user I could do lot, since this require admin right)
[/quote]

I don't think you need to be a forum Admin to get this done. I am sure one of our Admin's will confirm this shortly. Just keep in mind, their priority is working on code and improving functionality, etc, so they may not be 'hovering' about the forum at all times. Pardon the pun.

eephyne

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 01:49:44 pm »

I don't think you need to be a forum Admin to get this done. I am sure one of our Admin's will confirm this shortly. Just keep in mind, their priority is working on code and improving functionality, etc, so they may not be 'hovering' about the forum at all times. Pardon the pun.
Adding plugin to the forum is not accessible unless you have admin rights.
Configuring it is another story of course

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »
Can it just be set up on the honor system? Meaning, you award yourself after completing the task. Sure, people could cheat, but it's just for fun. You still would have to post proof so the other members don't tease you.

eephyne

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »
Can it just be set up on the honor system? Meaning, you award yourself after completing the task. Sure, people could cheat, but it's just for fun. You still would have to post proof so the other members don't tease you.

It surely can but I dont find it feel the same as a reward system.

hburke

• Flight Test Team
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:39 pm »
Good suggestion.  I know that people had a good time acquiring their "Scout Badges" on OP forum.

Let's see what others say.  :)

i have experience with forums and forum software (server management and web dev) and as a forum admin. if you guys want to pm me, i wouldn't mind setting this up

Hal