Quadcopter Doesn't Work
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:26:54 am »
I loaded the firmware a few days ago.  And my quadcopter flips every time I started. 

So I thought I should reconfigure the board again.  ie.  go over the whole process of loading the firmware into the board.
However, the quadcopter is not responsive.

What should I do?  Do I need to erase all the firmware setting on the board?

Please help.

filnet

Re: Quadcopter Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:58 am »
Flips at take off can be caused by board orientation issues.

If your board is not pointing forward as it expects then you need to adjust that in the configuration.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 04:04:18 pm »
Thanks for the answer.  As I mentioned, it's worse now  NOT RESPONSIVE after I RELOADED the firmware.

So now my quadcopter does not respond to the transmitter.  What should I do and how?

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 04:20:35 pm »
  • LibrePilot is a firmware for flight controller, which one you use ? You didn't tell
  • You didn't tell which version you're using or how did you flash it ?

Check LED behaviour
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Ledbehavior

Explain what do you mean by "not responsive" can you connect to it ? Can you flash it again ? It's not blinking at all ?

Also check Rescue firmware https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Firmware+Rescue or forum for unbricking (whatever you did you didnt explain)
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=208.0

It's good to write more details then it's easier to help.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I use version 15.09 - Supermoon Eclipse. 
I flashed it through its vehicle setup wizard.

This is the history:
A few days ago, I flashed it and was able to have the motors running.  After installing the propellers, I tried it. 
The results: it flipped to the right like a right roll.  Broke one blade of a propeller.

Thinking that something was wrong with loading the firmware.  I reloaded the firmware yesterday.  It does not work anymore.
"Unresponsive" mean the copter doesn't respond to the transmitter.  The light was on - solid red and flashing blue.  When I turned on the transmitter, the lights on the copter stay the same.

I was able to rescue, then upgrade and erase this morning as suggested.  Went through the whole procedure of setting the vehicle wizard.

The problem is:  I cannot now calibrate the ESC and set up the transmitter.  The first time ( a few days ago) I was able to calibrate the ESCs, but not now. 

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:20:22 pm »
About flipping copter, I suggest checking if you installed propllers in correct order and direction
NW - CCW (R)
NE - CW
SW - CW
SE - CCW (R)

and if cables are also in the right order, while you calibrate neutral points of ESC each motor (without props on) should start to spin as shown on picture in this order starting from first motor front left.

First one on the left front is usually CCW (R) then the opposite side is also R and the rest is easy.
When you flash new firmware Arming options for safety always gets set to "Always Disarmed" and you need to always set it back to "Yaw left" or whatever you prefer, when you finish your configuration.

Why you cant calibrate ESC now or set up transmitter that I don't know. Is INPUT green on health system ? Is OUTPUT also green ? What do you use as output protocol ? OneShot125 ? Do your ESC support it ? I suggest checking all that stuff or sending your config here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:23:38 pm by Mateusz »

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 01:33:29 am »
This is my first time and I'm frustrated.

I have tried to upgrade the firmware and reconfig, but nothing is working.

Why cannot I calibrate the ESCs?????  Something is wrong with the firmware?

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 03:00:59 am »
I was able to manually calibrate the motors using this video:

I'm thinking what to do next.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mateusz

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 06:20:35 am »

Firmware 15.09 was released in September last year, and since then it had hundred thousands downloads, all my bigger builds still use 15.09, definitely nothing wrong with the firmware.

You can provide more information by
Is OUTPUT also green ? What do you use as output protocol ? OneShot125 ? Do your ESC support it ? I suggest checking all that stuff or sending your config here.

Additionally, do you follow procedure and plug battery when calibrating ? It is  very likely some user error, but it's hard to nail it down not knowing your config. If you can connect with GCS, then firmware should be the last thing to blame. You get all green boxes in system health in GCS ?

D17E

• build your own drone
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:28:32 pm »

Hi...
i think u should remove all the setting by upgrade firmware by Wizard setting, if the firmware doesn't loaded success fully, try to rescue in tab firmware, by clicking rescue than plug your FC to the PC and than upgrade and erase..

this vid from begin maybe can help you...
https://www.youtube.com/embed/W4_PzV1Lsaw?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&list=PL1O6iwdaYqzTWjgX27McwHWmtY6Kk7nrN
Thank You

Regard,
Eddy Saputra

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 08:36:12 pm »
Thanks for the info.

But I decided to REMOVE the flight controller and firmware and connected all the motors into the channel 3 of the receiver - ie manually control the copter.

At the beginning, it started to spin (not unresponsive like a few days ago).  Then rolled the left side (side of motors 1 & 4).  Then I changed the propellers 1 & 4 with 3 blade ones and propellers 2 &3 still use 2 blade ones.  I did this because the motors 1 & 4 are weaker than motors 2&3.  So I gave motors 1 & 4 more power.

This way it can only go up, but roll or yaw or pitch.

It's somewhat balanced and circled around, but could not take off.  It went out of battery so I continue later.  I use 1300mAh with 25C.

What should I do next?

hwh

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:10 pm »
You can't manually control a quadcopter.  Even if you put each motor on a separate channel you wouldn't be able to move the controls fast and precisely enough to fly.

You need to reconnect the flight controller (what one, cc3d or revo?) and work out what your original problem was.  You also said something about two of the motors being weaker than the others?  The motors, props, and ESCs are all supposed to be the same make/model.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I think you're right.  I need the firmware.  I use CC3D board bought the whole set on Amazon.

I thought the flight controller is a problem so I use a different CC3D.  I cannot calibrate the ESCs.

But I notice there is one warning:

"Firmware version mismatch!
GCS & firmware versions of the UAV objects set do not match which can cause configuration problems."

Specifically:

GCS version: 15.09
Firmware version: 20140826 19:21

It seems like the firmware on the flight controller use older version of OpenPilot???

What should I do?

Please help.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:24:02 pm by coolbuck »

hwh

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »
Very little will work correctly with a firmware version mismatch.  And unfortunately most sellers still ship boards with an old version of OpenPilot instead of a current LibrePilot.

Go to the firmware tab, click on "upgrade and erase", and it should upgrade it automatically.  If it times out and says upgrade manually disconnect the board, click "upgrade and erase", and connect the board when it says to.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 07:47:00 am »
Thanks for the info.  The motors spin now.  I forgot to connect the battery before calibrating.

However, it flipped to the right or rolled over to the right. 

I checked: all the motors spin in the right direction.  All propellers were installed properly.

Rotor 1: NW - CW
Rotor 2: NE  - CCW
Rotor 3:  SE - CW
Rotor 4: SW - CCW
Which are opposite of what Mateusz mentioned!!!

One thing I found a litter strange is that the input config shows:
Throttle  at Chan3
Roll at Chan4
Pitch at Chan1
Yaw at Chan 2

Should it be different?

What else should I do?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:41:15 pm by coolbuck »