MickD

CC3D Support
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »
I guess I will be the first to post in here.
I'm glad to hear that your plans include continued support for the CC3D as I have quite a few of them and want to continue to use them on some of my quads. Will we be able to post here for support related question or problems and issues we may be having with the CC3D, or is that still something we need to go to the OP forum for?

I wish all of you continued success in all of your projects.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:10:02 pm by MickD »

akcom

Re: CC3D Support
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:37:17 pm »
As a follow up question, OP has stated that the reason CC3D support is being dropped is the lack of available memory on CC3D boards.  How do you plan on circumventing this issue to continue supporting CC3D?

ScreamingKitty

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:52:28 pm »
The fact that CC3D will be continued supported means that possible bugs might be fixed so the FC works even better and thats better then just dropping it from the release.

Maintaining the code for it doesn't mean anyone expect it to deliver unrealistic features thats impossible.

(Just my view of it)

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:52:14 pm »
There are several ways that CC3D code can be improved.  We may choose to do some of them and anyone who wants to and has the coding skills is welcome to too:
- Split CC off into separate firmware or remove CC and just support CC3D.  Right now, CC and CC3D code are in same firmware.
- Remove UAVOs that are unsupported in CC3D (if not done already).
- Have different firmwares with different feature sets.
- Have loadable modules so you only have code for the features that you want (if possible).
- Rewrite some large code to make it smaller.
- ?

MickD

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:57 pm »
If CC isn't needed for the CC3D and it will free up some space, I say take it out.  Just my vote.

liftbag

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »
I'm ready! 

Atom box (the clone version) :)

akcom

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:16 pm »
I can't imagine there is a single person still using the CC board.  That certainly sounds like it will yield the biggest result with the least effort.  Loadable modules is going to be tough because you then have to build the framework around it.  Now your code has to include relocation tables, fixups for the relocation tables, keep track of currently loaded modules etc.  So ultimately, you might not end up saving that much and you significantly increase the toolchain workload on the backend.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:03:08 pm by akcom »

akcom

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:41 pm »
Having just looked up the difference between the CC3D and the regular CC, it looks like the only difference is the CC has a different gyro.  Realistically, how much space in the firmware is that gyro code taking?  And please correct me if I'm wrong on the difference between the two boards?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
Analog Gyro so use more ram for buffers

akcom

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 07:59:32 pm »
Analog Gyro so use more ram for buffers
I thought the issue w/ the CC3D is the amount of ROM on the chip, not RAM.  Am I mistaken there?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
RAM, after Update&Erase there is 1.73Kb left using 15.02

Around 500bytes left with GPS and telemetry output for OSD, there is no Ram left to run GPS with NMEA protocol or Txpid for example
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:32:52 pm by f5soh »

cato

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »
I am glad that you guys plan to support CC3D further on. I have quite a few of them lying around here, waiting to be used in some experimental projects, and the suddon drop was a surprise. I would not expect fancy new features, just that I can further on use my GCS to configure or monitor my CC3D, that's all.

On a developper's view, I am sure that there is always some space for improvement, especially when the hardware is short of resources. I really like the CC3D and Atom boards, they are simple, easy and not expensive. They are the perfect boards for experimenting and testing, without being afraid to lose an invaluable piece of equipment should I dunk my quad or plane in the next pond :)

Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:59 pm »
Hello guys!

I also think it's important to maintain CC3D support.

Most CC3D users just use the boards for mixing/stabilization. Autopilot etc are not needed. So, it's just a matter of not including those firmware modules nobody uses on CC3D.

Regards,

Brusque

DeeJ

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:56 pm »
I can't imagine there is a single person still using the CC board. 

I use 2 of them!  Alongside my CC3D, that is.  They are still capable flight controllers, although not as competent as the CC3D.

Perhaps one solution is to allow various versions of the GCS to co-exist on the same machine, so that an old version that supports CC boards can be kept, even if it no longer gets any significant support or development.  At some time in the future that mechanism can be used to leave CC3D behind, in its turn (but not too soon, please!)

David

liftbag

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 01:15:41 pm »

I can't imagine there is a single person still using the CC board. 
[CUT]
 (but not too soon, please!)

David
Yeah, CC3D is still alive!