AutoTune with Revo
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
I have build/compiled the latest release and upgraded quad firmware. All fine. I see the AutoTune mode and want to test. However, I read in the docs that AutoTune does not work with CC3D - Is AutoTune supported on a Revo? I see the mode in the option to select, however I am frightened as the docs saied "not supported on CC3D"... Does anyone know if AutoTune works on the Revo if the option is selectable in the GCS?

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/AutoTune

kennyevo

Re: AutoTune with Revo
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:13:10 pm »
Hi!

There's no such thing as Revo, there's CC3D and there's Revolution. Many seller writes Revolution as the item's title to get more hit when users search for CC3D.

If you have a revo, it will work.

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:51 pm »
Here on wiki is the list of supported devices https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Supported+Hardware
Of course Falcon and Sparky2 are also fine with development branch "next" but not on this list probably because it's "next" branch.
There is no "Revo" on the list. So far Autotune is only ported to Revo and Sparky2 as far as I know. I actually don't know about Nano or Falcon, maybe.
When it comes to CC3D there are also plans, but it is a bit more work because of limited memory and some things need to be thrown out (maybe). I don't know details though.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:52 pm »
Sorry for being not precise. The connect board in librepilot shows as -> Connected Device "Revolution", from my understanding and board configurations/sensors it should be a revolution too.

This one from HobbyKing labled as "Revolution"...: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__89563__OpenPilot_CC3D_Revolution_Revo_32bit_F4_Based_Flight_Controller_w_Integrated_433Mhz_OPLink.html

So when you say AutoTune works with a "Revo" I assume correct that AutoTune should work with the "revo = revolution"? So I will give it a try - lets see what it will squeeze our for PIDs. Right now, I did a stable manual tune of the PIDs to manual flight is more or less stable.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »
I tested on 3 quads and it works pretty damn well on 2, third one had some problems but with recent "next" I am also getting satisfactory results. So having said that, Autotune should not be used blindly, but it seems you know what you're doing, so you should be good :) Just check if PIDs look good :)

chromvis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »
Just a couple of words about naming confusion with CC3D and Revolution. If you search on any search engine for "Revolution" you will get anything but flight controller in first 4 or 5 pages. But search for Revolution will give you correct expected information.

Just a suggestion. May be it is time to start using "CC3D" for copter control 3D and something like "CC3D-Revolution" for Revolution?

I have seen more than ten clarifications for this confusing naming situation just in this forum.

hwh

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:34:35 am »
...May be it is time to start using "CC3D" for copter control 3D and something like "CC3D-Revolution" for Revolution?...
Letting people call it a CC3d-revolution confuses them.  They start following the instructions for cc3d instead of revolution.  All because some (censored) idiot in China decided to stick cc3d onto the name.

As for web searches, searching for a common word like revolution never works right.  Search for something like openpilot revolution, librepilot revolution, even revolution flight controller.

Mateusz

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:57 am »
Letting people call it a CC3d-revolution confuses them.  They start following the instructions for cc3d instead of revolution. 

Unfortunately that is true. You buy hardware based on design files published in this project, but let's say you buy any hardware. Your product is called "CC3D-Revo" you check website to see if your hardware is supported and safe to flash and you find two names, what do you flash then ? Here actually GCS resolves ambiguity detecting hardware and showing name Revolution in the bottom left corner, yet it happens people flash wrong firmware if they do it manually because of that very incorrect naming.

One could go for name "CC3D Sparky Falcon Revolution Mini" it would definitely be easier to find by browser but even more confusing.

Anyway back to original topic, Autotune works on Revo and Sparky2 :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:50:05 am by Mateusz »

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 02:12:52 am »
The same problem happens a lot on eBay.  There is a known, correct way of describing or naming something, but some mfg adds words to it to "get more hits" from the web.  It becomes impossible to call it anything else.  Idiots.  Spend an extra dollar and get the name right in the first place, and don't tack the entire dictionary and encyclopedia on it to get more views.