Help needed in (cc3d & S-bus) connecting Radiolink R9DS
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:21:44 pm »
Hi all.

New to the drone game, really new.

Okay.. here's my setting from LibrePilot

Problem: No RC Input from Receiver.

Using S-Bus with Radio link R9DS connected to cc3d Flexi port.. Because my 8pin port is damaged from lots of pulling on the port therefore I can't do PPM or PWM.

So is this connection feasible as is? or I need a new flight controler?.

Thanks in advance.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Help needed in (cc3d & S-bus) connecting Radiolink R9DS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
Hi, welcome.

Maybe connect Sbux where is available : MainPort, not FlexiPort

Go to Hardware tab and enable S.Bus on Mainport, Save.
Disconnect all and restart board because every hardware change need that.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:36:35 pm »
Thanks for the quick response..

I just did that I noticed that the left control moved. But the Right control is not moving.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
Did you run through the transmitter wizard again or is it in the wizard that it's not working?

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »
Correct!  the Transmitter Wizard is not working

chromvis

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »
I usually do it manually. Look at first pic in https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Input+Configuration
In the Type column set all your Throttle, Roll, Pitch, Yaw and FlightMode to S.Bus input type. Than in Number column set channels: throttle - 3; Roll - 1; Pitch - 2: Yaw - 4 and FlightMode - 5. You can also set accessory, but only three of them, to channels 6 to 8.
Save your settings and press "Start Manual calibration". Move your sticks and switches. Press "StopManualCalibration" and save settings.

chromvis

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:24 pm »
Sorry. I did not notice that you have R9DS receiver - it won't work. I do not know what is the difference in their S.Bus signal output sequence, but it causes erratic slider movement. Only R9D receiver (old one) works fine. I tested two of these R9DS with Revo, Sparky2, and even with Pixracer (Ardupilot) - none of them works. This will be interesting to compare on oscilloscope, what is the difference their signals.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 09:47:20 pm »
Okay..No good news.

So what's my next step to get the quad up and running?

1-Buy a new cc3d?
2-New R9D?
Or?

hwh

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:16 pm »
Not having one I can't comment on the R9D/R9DS SBUS problem itself but if it is different from the "normal" SBUS the developers can't do much without either having one or at least knowing what the difference is.

The eachine racer 250 custom cc3d is only about $15 from banggood (http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-250-Drone-Spare-Part-CC3D-Flight-Controller-With-Flexiport-p-1012630.html?p=SO28133399239201512V) so that is one option.  That would certainly work if the R9DS worked with the original cc3d.

Replacing the R9DS with a R9D I don't know enough about to comment.

A third possibility is to replace the cc3d with a more expensive revo type board.  If you ever want to try GPS aided or autonomous flight this might be a good option since the cc3d boards don't support GPS flight.   You'd still have to add (maybe later) a GPS with an external mag to get the GPS modes working.  The easiest upgrade is to the "Revolution Mini" (http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-Mini-CC3D-Revolution-Flight-Controller-For-FPV-Multicopter-5g-p-1018903.html?p=SO28133399239201512V) for around $40.  The output connector on this is the same connector as the eachine cc3d but with the pins mirrored.  You just carefully pop all the wires out on one end and reinsert them in the opposite order.  You can buy them bundled with oplink telemetry radios and other parts as well (http://www.banggood.com/CC3D-Revolution-Mini-Combo-OP-Flight-Controller-OPLINK-Radio-Telemetry-GPS-OSD-Power-Distribution-Board-p-1019051.html?p=SO28133399239201512V) for around $82.  The GPS that comes with the bundle "OPGPS" isn't really worth having since it doesn't have an external mag.  I flew my racer 250 for a month or so with one of these mini revos that I had on hand for another quad while waiting for the seller to replace the bad cc3d.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:18:14 am by hwh »

chromvis

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:18:16 am »
I compare R9D and R9DS. On Oscilloscope there is not much one can find without knowing protocol. The only difference is that average packet period with R9D is 13 msec, and with R9DS is 15 ms.
I connect them to spare revo FC and with R9D manual radio calibration went OK below is the video of throttle response (GSC update is slow, so it is choppy)
With R9DS I even could not do manual calibration. Attached is the video of response  (no response) during calibration.
I also attached oscilloscope screenshot.

So, basically R9DS could not be used with Librepilot in S.Bus mode (PWM is OK). It is sad, it is very good transmitter

jdl

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 02:37:03 pm »
I was little disappointed by the info in this thread. I'm using explicitly Radiolink AT9 and R6D & R9D receivers for my copters and 2.4GHz-to-433MHz relays. So I ordered from ebay one more R9D receiver to have it as a spare.

Unfortunately, the seller sent me R9DS. But I tested it in S-Bus mode on CC3D and it's working flawlessly. I think I connected R9DS to the MainPort.

So I give positive report for using CC3D & Radiolink R9DS in S-Bus mode.  :)

chromvis

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:06:10 am »
After your post I decided to do a bit more testing of these R9DS receivers (I have two of them)
First, I tested them with Pixfalcon FC and MissionPlanner software - native for SBus - it works perfect, absolutely no problem.
Then I tested these receivers with Revolution FC and LP 16.09-RC1 - erratic signal and interestingly Receiver Activity in Input tab always show "SBus activity Channel 18" - I have no idea where did it get channel 18. This is independent on stick movement.
When I set RX R9D - everything is normal.
It looks like software is not tolerant for slight timing deviations (or at least much less tolerant than MissionPlanner)
This is a bug.
I attach screenshot also.

hwh

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 04:44:24 am »
...It looks like software is not tolerant for slight timing deviations...
Why do you keep saying "slight"?  You posted above that the error is 15%.  That's not slight by anyone's standards.

...This is a bug. ...
LibrePilot supports Futaba S.Bus and AFAIK no one has said that their Futaba doesn't work.

You have a clone that you say has an error of 15% in it's output that doesn't work.  Of all the S.Bus using clones that one receiver is the only one that's been reported as not working.  If the signal is 15% off as you say there is a bug.  It's in their receiver's firmware. 

The fact that it works with a Pixfalcon may mean that someone working on that FC's firmware had a R9DS or another clone with a similar error.  The GCS and MissionPlanner have nothing to do with it, they just display whatever the FC sends them, the decoding is done on the FC.

The LP developers could probably create a workaround for the RadioLink error if they had the equipment but they don't have it.  Open Source projects mostly program to match equipment that the developers already have.  I took a quick look on the web and it looks like buying a cheap RadioLink transmitter/receiver package would be a little over $100.  That's too much to spend on unneeded equipment just to program a workaround.

chromvis

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 05:10:48 am »
OK, hwh, I accept your defense, although I was not so offensive (at least so I think).
RadioLink is not a clone, but rather fairly advanced original design. It has 4096 (12 bit) stick position accuracy, I did try to find what Futaba position resolution is, but could not - and this parameter define your control accuracy and smoothness.
Sorry, this is just a rebuttal. I understand the situation and will not rise this question again.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »
I have the RD9S connected to the CC3D through the main port with the 4 wire cable with the TX wire removed. I haven't had any problems with it. I've also used the RD9 and the RD6S with the RadioLink  AT9 on the latest firmware v1.3.9.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmvwp9sbwjcfdmk/20160922_084625.jpg?dl=,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21oh3jcmrrh2ebp/20160922_084334.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lez6gvlc6opzlr/20160922_084447.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ms0jncmkpp0r48/20160922_084406.jpg?dl=
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:05:22 am by hwh »