QC102

Revo Mini - Which size/type of board
« on: July 20, 2016, 03:49:59 am »
I think it was in a similar thread that I read a suggestion from "theothercliff" ( I think..) that  the thread starter should perhaps  put up a couple of product links and  let those who have  bought and used them...advise or suggest.   My words to the  intent of suggestion - which I know cannot find from a search or my browser history!

Basically I purchased a Revo mini - did the basic LP upgrade from OP and  fitted it in a 450 frame while waiting for a GPS module to arrive.
While fiddling with  changing a RX... it seems the connection loom to ESC  from Rx  came out or loose - plugged a battery in and heard a swisshhhht and saw smoke! The  black ( in the  Blk white red connection)  cable had burnt through.  I did a patch to use the female connector and all the basic configuration seems to accept  changes and all seems normal and it does turn motors...BUT  the orientation as sen in "Flight Data" shows the quad  on its side and the compass is slowly circling!   So its fried !

So in deciding a replacement I have been checking   what is on offer... came up with these -

http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-CC3D-Revolution-Revo-10DOF-STM32F4-Flight-Controller-Staight-Pin-p-1000068.html

or  another mini

http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-Mini-CC3D-Revolution-Flight-Controller-For-FPV-Multicopter-5g-p-1018903.html

I have also ordered this  - before I fried the mini revo - its still OK  IF  0 the  normal size Revo gets more Yes replies?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121772579794?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For those who mention  gates and  bolted horses...I know... I know...

As a consideration - at this time  using a compass for way points etc - is not a major consideration - I am learning ( slowly) how to build and  fly   what I have put together!

TIA

QC102

Re: Revo Mini - Which size/type of board
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:12 am »
Since I submitted this thread... I have been  trying to rescue the Revo mini - which  is showing  just the blue LED.  I appear to be able to "flash" BL, BU, FW, Bin - but whatever I try - the GREEN led - does not show and coptercontrol connect -  is not available.
I have search this forum and  gone through the manual online - and  found nothing.

Although the  Revo in described as Revo Mini - rather than Nano -  LP shows it as being simple Revolution and warns  not to flash revonano.

Been a bad week -  fried a CC3D Atom and  now this revo!   Advice would be  appreciated.

hwh

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:11:58 am »
...Although the  Revo in described as Revo Mini - rather than Nano -  LP shows it as being simple Revolution and warns  not to flash revonano. ...
There are only coptercontrol, cc3d, revolution, and revo nano boards, everything else is a Chinese marketing name. Support for the Sparky2 board will be in the next release.  If we're talking about your second link, the "Mini Revolution", then it is a Revolution.  They made it physically smaller by removing the embedded oplink radio and offering it as an optional "oplink air" but it's a Revolution as far as the software is concerned.

Your screen capture shows that the cpu is running and that it has the correct bootloader and firmware on it.  If one of the sensors like the gyro/accel or mag sensor are dead it probably won't boot.  Certain config errors also stop it from booting, I'd try erasing the settings by disconnecting usb, pressing "upgrade and erase", and plugging it back in when told to.  If that doesn't help it's probably beyond recovery unless you're really good at troubleshooting hardware and replacing tiny surface mount chips with a hot air rework station.

QC102

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:17:26 am »
Thanks for the info.....   I have  tried everything - but chip replacing is not my forte!   So it looks like its dead and  heading  for the trash.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:40 am »
You can live without a main board mag.  Most people find that aux mag is a better solution anyway.

QC102

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 02:59:16 am »
You can live without a main board mag.  Most people find that aux mag is a better solution anyway.

Me again...can I pick your brains  :)    I have  replaced the  dead Revo mini with a full sized board as seen on the  forum with a link to BangGood.  On their site and  in  the manual ( same pics/information mostly)  it shows the wiring using a bec.

I have bought in Emax 30a Simonk Series - with built in bec, which I have  installed on 4 of my builds - the  FC as the  3 PWM pins
So  can I safely use them  or do I  need to pull a wire and  use a bec? 
Apologies if the info is on the form/manual - but I cannot find anything in a search.
Hoping others will read who have used and still do - the full sized board - are there any  pitfalls to avoid.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:50:22 am by QC102 »

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 06:52:18 pm »
All of mine just use the BECs that are built into the ESCs.

That usually works up to about 3 cell packs because your ESCs that have linear BECs will get hot just from the BEC power consumption at higher cell counts.  Of course that depends somewhat on what extra stuff gets power from the BECs.

I have a 4 cell quad where I use the BECs built into the ESCs, but one ESC gets close to hot when sitting on the ground with no cooling airflow for a long time.

For 5 cell packs and higher I would use a separate switching BEC, but that needs testing too because switching BECs have noisier power.

You will probably find that one ESC gets a little hotter than the others.  That is normal because of the slightly different voltages coming from the ESC/BECs.  The one with the lowest voltage supplies most of the current as if it were the only one plugged in.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:57:11 pm by TheOtherCliff »

QC102

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:50:24 am »
Thanks for that info.
Its the first time I have tried to be involved in the GPS stuff.....I guess I am  lacking something! I have managed to brick a Revolution mini and I replaced it with a "full sized" Revo from Bangood.  That is also - now - unusable.

I have a NEO M8N module but  after changing over from the stock OP Fw, its not working  as it should... just the basic CC3D side like the Flight Data display - its now static as if nothing is connected ...but I can "upgrade" Halt and reboot etc.

I have  been away from computers for a few days and  back home now, I will  have another attempt to see what it will and will not do.

UPDATE:    I set up the Revo and NEO M8M module and for some reason... they seem OK - well mostly - the Mag warning  come on and warns the settings are 5% ( forget the rest!)
From what I gather LP was not accepting the  "set home".
Don't know if its a iMac thing or just mine...but I am plagued with LP flipping pages and going from whatever I am  doing to any other page - sometimes it comes back...mostly not. I have  tried restarting it and even rebooting the Mac...still happens.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:28:26 pm by QC102 »

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
Flipping pages on a laptop is usually accidental touch of touch pad (for me anyway).  :)

Always power your flight controller and receiver from 5V or 6V BEC such as the BEC built into the ESC.  Don't power it with more than that.  Don't power it directly from flight battery.

If you have a repeatable problem, it is good to try a different computer.  If it is a connection problem, sometimes a different USB cable fixes it.

Do not touch or mount the board directly to a carbon or metal frame.  Do not use metal standoffs to mount the board.

QC102

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 12:38:34 am »
Thanks  for the info.... as it happens..I  posted yesterday ( tongue in cheek style)   bottom line was that a lot of my issues seem to have been caused by a cheapo 4x USB hub. I have two iMacs and  got two of these hubs from the local supermarket.   Like a lottery, it seems some of the four slots were loose fitting and as I was changing USB micro and the old style as on the basic CC3D board...  and on two computers...it was a random glitch.

The page flipping in LP is not about  accidental touch on keyboard/mouse clicks etc.   I will  try to get in video and post it. 
The othe problem I have  with LP is that I seldom get a full GPS map - just  blocks going from left to right - so far I blame our wifi connection - which in Australia is at times is  slower/worse than a isolated village in wildest Africa!

Thanks again...much appreciated

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 10:21:14 pm »
Google changes their GPS web stuff frequently, and after several months, stuff that used to work can break.

You might try some different GPS map providers in the GCS options.

QC102

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 04:07:23 am »
Thanks..again and always..much appreciated advice.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 02:05:41 am »
Starting from the top, I see your first board has what might be a common problem.

The tiny pins inside all the connectors can bend over if you plug the connector in a little sideways, after that, the more you push, the more bent the pin.  Use a magnifying glass and try to look at all the pins.

If you find a bent one and it is not too bad, you can use a magnifier and modeling knife to start to straighten it and an EXTREMELY thin needle nose pliers or hemostat to clamp the bends out.

Other than that, don't mount with metal anything (screws, standoffs) or mount touching a metal or carbon surface.

Don't feed them more than 6 volts (preferably 5).  Original spec was higher voltage than that.

QC102

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 03:46:55 am »
Good advice - never thought wbout and will check the FCs.

Waiting for a another Revo from Banggood - not sure if the current one is OK after I rescued it.
Meanwhile - I am hitting youTube and the LP online manual etc,.  trouble is everybody seems to do things in a different way and the  uBlox - as far as I can see.. don't have "manuals" of info sheets to download. 

hwh

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:00 am »
...the  uBlox - as far as I can see.. don't have "manuals" of info sheets to download.  ...
The ublox website has hundreds of pages of info on each of their gps modules.  What were you planning on modifying on the gps module?