mak24

Re: GPS No Fix
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 05:49:57 am »
You were right.  My gains were too high.

I tried using EasyTxpID, but the copter would wobble so much that I could not get to use the potentiometer.

I changed the PIDs to match the PIDs that my APM board showed for this Quad and now it flies. Yay!!!!!

I will do one more test flight and send you video.  I still have ways to go for tuning.  I think I can now start using the Easy TxPID.  ( I still do not fully understand how easy TXPID works, so may need your assistance),

Thanks for all your help so far.  Really appreciate it.
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
2212 980 KV SunnySky motor
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

mak24

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 01:06:52 am »
Thanks so very much for your help.  My copter flew!!

The PIDs/gains were too high.  I brought them down using the PIDs that my APM had by default for this copter.  So the copter is not as responsive as it should be, perhaps the PIDs are too low.  I will be using the Easy Tune to get the Pitch/Roll tuned.  And as I get more experienced, I will use the more advanced way to tune.  It will be a very fun summer.

Thanks once again.  Will keep you posted with my progress.

PS.  As you suggested, I have contacted the vendor to get the GPS issue fixed.  Until it does, I have plenty of tuning that will keep me busy.
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

mak24

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »
Hi. Quick update. My copper finally flew.  You were correct. Changed the PID setting to match the settings that I had for my APM board on this quad.  It is a bit sluggish. And I am learning to fly.

I will use the Easy Tune to tune it better.  I am just a bit hazy on the procedures. Will try playing with it and ask for assistance if required.

Thanks so much!!!!
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »
From your picture, the left side of the picture must be the front of the quad.  If not, you have the Revo (its a Revo, not a CC3D) mounted incorrectly and that is your problem.  ESC connections are on the right side.  Receiver plug is on left side.

Make sure that you have the ESCs plugged into the right places.  If it flies at all now (if you can fly it for 60 seconds), that is probably correct.

drunken ... do you mean that it has an oscillation (rocks back and forth several times a second)?

APM PIDs are not what you should be running.  See how their yaw integral is much lower than the others but ours is much higher?

Go back to our default PIDs but (since default value seems to oscillate) multiply each of those 6 numbers by 0.75
If it still oscillates then try default times 0.60
You want them as high as possible but just before oscillation.

I find it odd that a 500 size quad oscillates with PWMSync 490 on stock PID settings.

mak24

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 01:51:01 pm »
Hi Cliff:

(Sorry for not responding earlier,.  Was waiting for my new GPS to arrive, and it arrived yesterday)

Just wanted to clarify.  I did buy a Revo from banggood, so you are correct it is Revo that I bought from here
http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-CC3D-Revolution-Revo-10DOF-STM32F4-Flight-Controller-Staight-Pin-p-1000068.html

I have now posted the picture of my quad where the front of the quad is in the front (12 o'clock), ESCs on the right and the receiver plug is on the left.  Is this the correct orientation of the Revo?.  I had assumed that the arrowhead above the openpilot logo pointed to the front. 

My quad does fly with lower PIDs.  It is a bit sluggish.

Oscillation was the wrong term.  It does not rock back and forth several times a second.  It wobbled, which I controlled by lowering the PIDs considerably

I will try your formula and report back.  Broke my landing gear and have ordered replacement and await arrival.

Today, I will test the GPS no Fix issue with the new GPS and see whether the issue is fixed.  Will report back.
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

mak24

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »
GPS No Fix issue remains.  I had open view of the sky.  I let the quad sit for an hour.

Attached is the screenshot of my system tab.  Seems the GPS is configured.

I noticed that I never got any more than 4 satsinview.  It would mostly be 1-2 Satsinview most of the time.  Any ideas to troubleshoot this.  I do have an FTDI card. 

IS there a way to confirm that GPS is working correctly using FTDI and Ublox software?
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

mak24

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 09:59:21 pm »
I got my GPS to work.  Yay!! 

Found an article in this forum that showed that disabling Autobauding for the GPS resolves the GPS NoFix issue (Learned to use the FTDI card in the process, I am having  fun!!).

Next  I would like to set my home location, but I am unable to see the map, please see attached.  Is there a setting that I need to choose to enable that?

(Still waiting for my landing gear to arrive, to use Easy TaxPID to tune my copter)

Regards
mak24
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

Mateusz

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 09:47:48 am »
I saw that you are using LibrePilot 15.09 and I that you are connecting GPS. If your intention is to use flight modes that utilize GPS, you must use external magnetometer. LibrePilot 15.09 supports only external magnetometer in OP GPSv9 units (not produced anymore), be aware chinese produce OP GPS which are completely different design without mag and with cheap antenna, named like that to make money.
If you want external magnetometer required for GPS flight modes, then you must use development "next" branch of LibrePilot with preferably DJI Naza compatible GPS which I would recommend (after changing connector to JST-SH 1.0 - 4 pin).
DJI Naza compatible GPS is supported only in development branch "next".

Internal magnetometer will not work. Internal is only useful to guide you setting orientation of external mag in GCS.
Furthermore, external mag+gps combo must be  mounted on a long 14-16cm mast, but not with single screw that allows rotation of mast, but with at least two. After calibration rotating mast would invalidate that calibration.

Hope that helps.

By the way map works here on "next" development branch.

mak24

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 03:26:28 pm »
Thanks very kindly mateusz. 

Is it ok for a newbie like me to use the next" branch of LibrePilot?  If so, where can I can get the install files please?

Also, will this GPS work with the "next" branch of LibrePilot? 

http://www.banggood.com/GPS-Compass-Module-for-DJI-NAZA-M-V2-LITE-Flight-Control-System-p-973350.html

Or do you have any recommendations?

Stay Well
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

Mateusz

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »
1) I think it is OK to use development branch by everyone and I never had problems or saw complains on forum. I see opposite, people build it and fly it. However as it is with GPL free software and especially development code you should always know what you are doing and I can't give 100% guarantee.
2) external mag with linked DJI gps should work,but you need to change connector to match Revo one. You can find cables on eBay in sets of 20 very cheap JST-SH 1.0 with 4 pins.
3) I recommend GPS you linked or what Wagsy uses from this forum

4) don't forget about mast as mag must be away from other electronics to work, otherwise it won't work.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:44:44 am by hwh »

Mateusz

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 05:02:34 pm »
Forgot, about getting files. Either search forum if someone has build it for Windows or you will have to do it yourself (check wiki how). Sometimes people share builds from time to time. You can also ask someone who provided binary on forum earlier.

Mateusz

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »
Connectors
http://m.ebay.com/itm/20SETS-Mini-Micro-SH-1-0-JST-4-Pin-Connector-plug-Male-with-100MM-cable-female-

Mast
http://m.banggood.com/Folding-GPS-Mount-Support-Holder-For-DJI-ZERO-QAV250-RC-Multicopters-p-983662.html

Something like this but search for a bit longer rod. This one might be too short. Check for 14-16cm. Also don't buy masts on one screw as it may rotate.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:07:04 pm by Mateusz »

mak24

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 01:06:04 pm »
Thanks so very kindly Wagsy.

I will order the GPS. I have a couple of masts so they will do.

And will start looking into buildings the next branch build. This will keep me busy for a weeks.

Thanks so much

Stay well
mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino

mak24

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 02:49:06 pm »
Sorry - meant to thank you Mateusz!  (And Wagsy as well :))

Could you kindly repost the link to the connectors?

The link below takes me to a generic eBay link
http://m.ebay.com/itm/20SETS-Mini-Micro-SH-1-0-JST-4-Pin-Connector-plug-Male-with-100MM-cable-female

mak24

My Quad Build
Alien 450
Emax 25 Amp ESC
10*4.5 APC Props
Revo FC
GCS 16.09 Rhino