What new board to buy for LibrePilot Support?
« on: October 06, 2015, 04:36:17 am »
Hey guys

I'm looking to pick up an F4 board soon, to upgrade in the near future. I'd like to run Libre Pilot, it seems like the best option for that is going to be a Sparky 2? I've seen a couple of posts suggesting that will be supported, is it likely to happen? I'm currently using a CC3D and will put Libre Pilot on that when it's released anyway. I only fly 250s at the moment.

Also, is there any plans for BlackBox style data logging? Based on my past motorsport experience and observations of BlackBox results, data logging is the best way to tune and improve the dynamics of the system since you can actually quantify what the system is doing and adjust (rather than the qualitative "fly and try" method).

Cheers!

xpantz

Re: What new board to buy for LibrePilot Support?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:55:18 am »
You could always get a Revolution clone from goodluckbuy etc

Sparky2 should be good though if it can be supported.

mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:27:46 pm »
Hello, maybe you can help... Revo clone or sparky 2.0 wich one to buy?
Does the mpu9250 make a big difference in performance? I can buy revo Set with GPS + extern mag, so I think it will work, but what GPS /mag to chose for sparky board?

So much questions...sorry for that!
The quad it should work on is a medium size with 11" props 4s system and soon carrys a mobius gimbal after the complete rebuild is done.

xpantz

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 12:01:44 am »
At the moment, a Revo clone is the only choice.

We will need to wait and see if Sparky and/or other GPS types can be supported.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 12:16:29 am »
Hello, maybe you can help... Revo clone or sparky 2.0 wich one to buy?
Does the mpu9250 make a big difference in performance? I can buy revo Set with GPS + extern mag, so I think it will work, but what GPS /mag to chose for sparky board?

So much questions...sorry for that!
The quad it should work on is a medium size with 11" props 4s system and soon carrys a mobius gimbal after the complete rebuild is done.

I have Revo(original), Revo(clone), Sparky2 and RevoNano.
Out of all most happy with Revo so far, as it is well tested and just works. New sensor adds nothing to flight performance, but what Sparky2 is good at having more ports to connect stuff. Nano has the least ports which I dont like. LibrePilot is working hard on Sparky2 and there were first commits and test flights, but not everything is implemented or works yet. If you want something that works now I would buy Revo. I am flying with a clone and it works just great (costed $55 for a clone). With clones its a risk, that you may get cheaper lower quality components or wrong cheaper mcu, etc.. i checked mine looks the same as original and works as good.

When it comes to GPS I use OP GPSv9 which is great as you have mag and gps on one cable, no need for additional connection. I couldnt buy another one for next build, so I ordered M8N which has separate cable for I2C bus to connect mag. This can take another port, but I guess OP GPSv9 is impossible to get, so no other choice.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 12:54:57 am »
Executive version:  If you need to use it now and not wait for a month or more, get Revo.  If you really need the extra I/O ports, and can wait a little while for support to be released, get Sparky2.

Revo is supported in the soon-to-be-released "first LP release".  Sparky2 will probably be supported the release after that (or sooner if you can build your own software or accept the risks and join the Flight Test Team to help us test).  I have already flown Sparky2 with alpha LP code on Sbus (it was perfect), but PPM isn't working yet.  All on board sensors are working.  The on board RF telemetry is working.

First LP release is basically CC3D support added back in and bug fixes.  We are considering a second release fairly quickly after the first one, where we will release some nice new features we have been working on.

Sparky2 has the same processor as Revo, but newer sensors (not really a plus or minus).  Sparky2 has more I/O ports than Revo.  That will come in handy if you want to run a lot of stuff connected, for instance the new external I2C mag support and GPS and OSD.  Sparky2 will have a way to connect the external mag while still leaving the mainport and flexiport available for other things.

Sparky2 does NOT have PWM inputs, but we hope to get all the normal RC inputs available on the rcvrport, which means that you don't need to use mainport for Sbus, or flexiport for DSM, so again, Sparky2 frees up mainport and flexiport for other things.

Edit: I am reminded that Revo has a lot more optional outputs, so if you have a lot of motors and need gimbals too (like an octocopter with a fancy camera gimbal), the Revo is what you need.

... The prices (shipped) I have seen are about $49 for Revo and about $56 for Sparky2.  I would consider getting one of the package deals where you get an OpLink with it for $15 more (and maybe a PDB too).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:13:10 am by TheOtherCliff »

mazevx

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:20:40 am »
Thanks for that perfect answer!
The only thing is rc output for gimbal control and maybe osd...
So at first i think the revo is what I need, will wait and perhaps get an original sparky later.
Time doesnt really matter, if I buy revo today have to wait at least 14 days so everything is fine.

Thanks!

Brian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 02:51:41 am »
Sparky2 has the same processor as Revo, but newer sensors (not really a plus or minus).  Sparky2 has more I/O ports than Revo.  That will come in handy if you want to run a lot of stuff connected, for instance the new external I2C mag support and GPS and OSD.  Sparky2 will have a way to connect the external mag while still leaving the mainport and flexiport available for other things.

Edit: I am reminded that Revo has a lot more optional outputs, so if you have a lot of motors and need gimbals too (like an octocopter with a fancy camera gimbal), the Revo is what you need.

Technically, I think the Revo has a few more I/O options than the Sparky 2 using the Flexi I/O port.  The Sparky 2 has CAN, which the Revo doesn't, but there's currently not much use for that, and I'm nor sure if the LED outputs on the Sparky 2 can be used for other I/O purposes.  From what I remember, the Flexi I/O port had quite a few configuration options.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:14 pm »
Update to this, I've picked up a Revo Clone. Looking forward to flying LP!

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:09:26 pm »
For the first release that actually has Sparky2 in it, Sparky2 functionality will be a copy of Revo functionality except:
- Sparky2 will have no PWM input (there is no connector for this)
- Sparky2 will have no Flexi IO stuff (thera are no PWM inputs that can be used for other things)
- All RC receiver input functions (PPM, SBus, DSM, SRXL) will be put on the 3 pin RcvrPort
- Note that Sparky2 is not capable of SBus on MainPort.  SBus uses RcvrPort
- We may additionally have DSM and SRXL on FlexiPort (because Revo has it there) to allow people with current Revo wiring to use Sparky2 with that wiring.
- External I2C mag may be configurable on either the I2C port or FlexiPort.
- No external LED support???
- No Analog (battery voltage, etc.)???
- No CAN support
- Subject to revision :)

I think the important things here are that SBus is on RcvrPort which frees up MainPort.  External I2C mag can be put on I2CPort freeing up FlexiPort.  So put SBus (or other 1 line RC input protocol) on RcvrPort, GPS on MainPort, the external mag on I2CPort, and still have a place to put OSD (FlexiPort).  This set of connections isn't possible with Revo.

mazevx

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 05:01:49 pm »
Thank you for that important information.
Hope we can get graupner SumD support soon, taulabs added support and I think the code should be pretty close to LP? Maybe we ask them to help out so we can add that in one of the near future realeases.

I know that SumD isnt that popular than others but i hope...