Roypw

Aux Mag Boards
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:42:45 pm »
Has anyone had any success using an aux mag board with a GPS that doesn't include a mag?

I have a M8N, one with no mag chip. I thought that I might use one of the mag boards I see for sale with it so I have an aux mag. I have a Waveshare MAG3110 board that I tried quickly with no success but need to put some time into it to be sure I have GCS set up correctly.

Any suggestions on what mag board to use and how to set it up would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Aux Mag Boards
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 03:06:01 pm »
yes, like here. (in french)
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=1545.0

For setup, just follow the wizard and choose GPS+I2c mag

hwh

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:22:38 pm »
It needs to be a HMC5883 or HMC5983 mag sensor.  Your MAG3110 doesn't appear to have one and the chip on it doesn't look compatible with the HMC5883 chips.

Most of the tiny HMC5883/5983 boards available on the web should work.  Make sure it's got a voltage regulator on it, some of them are designed to operate off regulated 3.3v supplies and the revo port power pins provide higher than that.  You could add your own voltage regulator or tap 3.3v off something else but it's easier to use one with the voltage regulator built in.

Roypw

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:51:33 pm »
Thanks, great input. Have one on the way from Amazon for $8 or so.  Maybe I don't have to send that M8n back.  Supplier has changed his listing to remove the compass wording, however it still says compass on the top of the GPS, BUYER BE AWARE a lot of these do not have the mag chip installed.