Beep Beep Beep
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:22:43 pm »
Im an RC guy but have always been nitro. I have bought and flown basic store bought quads but just bought and built a ZMR 250 kit. Still trying to get it to work on the bench with Librepilot.

1st wizard run- wrong motor positions and they ran backwards using sliders (motor #2 didnt turn at all with slider). I de-soldered, moved motor arms to right positions and changed CC3D wiring to match the diagram in Librepilot. This should have corrected rotation as well.

2nd wizard run-
With USB connected (Mac), CC3D board has the green light on and the blue light blinking about once per second (not fading). Moving through the wizard,  the step of ESC calibration-hitting start, plugging in the battery, waiting for beeps, hitting stop, waiting for beeps then disconnecting the battery I think I have a problem. I get the music tones when I plug in, but nothing after I hit the stop......anyway, getting to the next step of plugging the battery back in, hitting start and moving the slider to find motor neutral does nothing.....on any of the motors......Im going backwards:(

Oh ya, the whole time the battery is plugged in, not only do I get the once per second blue light on the CC3D (good thing?), I also get a single beep every ~3 seconds (bad thing?). Sounds like all the motors are making the beep, not just one?

I checked the signal wires resistivity from the PCB where ESC is soldered to the CC3D plug=reading 0 (good connection).
When I plug the battery in, I get 5.5V at the CC3D and 11.4V on the ESC's (at the arms)

I appreciate any help you could offer. Im a nitro guy and the programmable electric era is getting the best of me. The Librepilot manual didnt help me much either.

Not sure what other information is needed to help....just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Dave Kersting

liftbag

• LibrePilot
Re: Beep Beep Beep
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:53:07 pm »
Im an RC guy but have always been nitro. I have bought and flown basic store bought quads but just bought and built a ZMR 250 kit. Still trying to get it to work on the bench with Librepilot.

1st wizard run- wrong motor positions and they ran backwards using sliders (motor #2 didnt turn at all with slider). I de-soldered, moved motor arms to right positions and changed CC3D wiring to match the diagram in Librepilot. This should have corrected rotation as well.

2nd wizard run-
With USB connected (Mac), CC3D board has the green light on and the blue light blinking about once per second (not fading). Moving through the wizard,  the step of ESC calibration-hitting start, plugging in the battery, waiting for beeps, hitting stop, waiting for beeps then disconnecting the battery I think I have a problem. I get the music tones when I plug in, but nothing after I hit the stop......anyway, getting to the next step of plugging the battery back in, hitting start and moving the slider to find motor neutral does nothing.....on any of the motors......Im going backwards:(

Oh ya, the whole time the battery is plugged in, not only do I get the once per second blue light on the CC3D (good thing?), I also get a single beep every ~3 seconds (bad thing?). Sounds like all the motors are making the beep, not just one?

I checked the signal wires resistivity from the PCB where ESC is soldered to the CC3D plug=reading 0 (good connection).
When I plug the battery in, I get 5.5V at the CC3D and 11.4V on the ESC's (at the arms)

I appreciate any help you could offer. Im a nitro guy and the programmable electric era is getting the best of me. The Librepilot manual didnt help me much either.

Not sure what other information is needed to help....just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Dave Kersting

Hi Dave, and welcome.

What ESCs are you using? And what kind of ESC have you set during the Vehicle Configuration Wizard?
And, as general rule, you can swap two of the three motor wires to change the spinning direction.

I think the single beep every three seconds indicates the lack of recognition of the PWM signal.
Are the ESC signal GND wires connected to the CC3D?

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:24 pm »
ESCs were shrink wrapped before I wrote down the brand (newbie). I did try all options including the 50Hz in Librepilot. I can unwrap if needed.

I am trying to attach a pic of the ESC wiring. Its all basically soldered to the PCB at the motor arms, then additional wires soldered from the PCB  to the FC (both signal, and 5V power).

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 03:39:54 am »
I uncovered the esc. Naturally there is no indication of the brand. Just the board wrapped in clear plastic.

I tested all the wire connections between ECS, PCB and FC for signal and black wire.....all looks good. Getting really stumped. Ive always enjoyed a challenge but this is getting tiring.
I have tried all ESC options in Librepilot. I have been reading forums and anything else I can find online to fix the problem, but no luck.
please help.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 03:50:08 am »
I might have put way too much text in my original post.

My problem is basically, when I plug in the flight battery, I get 3 different tones, followed by ~5 seconds of silence, then a single beep about every 3 seconds. Putting my ear to the motors, sounds like all of them are beeping in sync.

Rx/Tx attached, it doesnt matter, even in Librepilot once I reach the point in wizard of hooking up the battery, same problem.

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:32:40 am »
Hi Dave,

This beep is clear indication that your ESCs are not receiving any PWM signal from your FC. ESC periodic beeping happens when you connect battery, but FC is not connected.
What I recommend is check where did you buy your ESC (maybe emails?) to figure out the brand, sometimes it helps to recognize the chip number on the ESC and for sure check your wiring again and configuration. You mentioned in first step they were spinning. Perhaps one of the motors that was beeping and not spinning had signal wire connected in wrong direction to FC ? Servo has (signal, +, -) wires as far as I remember. Check if that is plugged correctly.

When you fix above, you also wrote that your motors were spinning in wrong direction. You can't correct that in FC. To correct direction of spinning motors you have two options
  • Swap 2 of 3 wires connecting ESC with motor
  • If your ESC is programmable and you can program it, swap direction in software
What you can do in FC is change the order of motor, for example which motor is 1,2,3 and 4. This is also important and you must follow the picture such that motor number and what you see in wizard match. This information helps to determine which motors are front and which rear.
Direction in which motor spins is determined by ESC and not FC though.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »
Thanks Mateusz, I will take a look and get back.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:01:10 pm »
Darn...still no luck.
I remeasured resistance of signal wires from ESC to FC and things look good. Also no problems with the 5 volt connections at the FC or power to the ESCs. The wiring looks good against the diagram as well.

Is there maybe a setting I messed up in librepilot like arming/disarming? Is there a way to see if the FC board is OK? I will dig to see if I can find the ECS model. I bought the drone a a custom kit from Hobby town.

I have been trying to attach cell phone cam shots but having no luck (even with 1 pic). What is the max file size?

Thanks for you help

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 08:03:49 pm »

I finally have the ECS info. They are 18A ZTW Spider Lite. I am told they have BIHeli firmware but all the reading I do says they come with SimonK now days.

ernstock

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:41:42 pm »
Couple of things ,
I have some spider ztw (12a? ) which were advertised as Simonk but are blheli. (Not that this is necessarily the issue here)
Also , posting pics from phone works well with tapatalk.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
Fixed. It was the CC3D FC. Once replaced, LibrePilot GCS had no problems and the drone flies great.