darkdave

Re: UBLOX NEO M8N GPS and Compass
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:35:23 pm »
Why does the drone think the way its facing when it powered on is always North then?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:46:19 pm »
If you don't set a fusion algorithm that use Mag, the default heading is North at power up and next based only on Gyros.

For calibration, no need to set correctly the auxMag orientation.

darkdave

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 12:17:49 am »
I just found a Ublox 6M that has the wires already soldered for the GPS Mag (2 cables). If I swap out the M8N for the 6M I will have 2 mag compass and 1 GPS working together with accelerometers. How do I set this up in Fusion? Complimentary + Mag + GPS? But will it know there are now 2 mags? (The internal and external one)

Also how do I make changes to the Revolution settings permanent? There is no save button on that tab. And when I come back later I keep having to have to set it up again because it has reverted to Basic (complimentary only).

hwh

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 01:27:52 am »
Yes, if two mags are setup it will know it.  If you're running next (required for external mag) then the next sub-tab over from attitude->settings is attitude->magnetometer which will let you force it to use one or the other if you want.

There is no revolution settings tab, the attitude->settings tab, like every tab in the configuration section has a save button in the lower right corner.

darkdave

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:13:37 am »
Check the attached screenshot. As you can see there is no save button in the system tab.

When I changed it to "Complimentary + GPS + MAG" and tab out and tab back in , its always set back to BAIC COMPLIMENTARY. Anyways I did switch it back again to complimentar + GPS + MAG regardless and while my drone was hovering I hit the "return to home" function: the drone shot up a billion miles per second and I had to go hunting for the crashed wreckage using last known GPS position.

When it was on "Basic Complimentary" the drone shot up 10 meters and just hovered where it was, it didnt move toward the home location.

I did check to make sure the compass in the drone was synchronized with true north before this flight.

So my return home function doesnt work on either basic complimentary nor complimentar + mag + GPS.

Now I have to buy a new drone. What went wrong?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:25:04 am by darkdave »

darkdave

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:16 am »
And yes it is the system tab. That refuses to save between visits to the same tab. All I have to do is tab out and tab back in and it's back to "basic complimentary". As you can see in the above screenshot, NO SAVE BUTTON on the lower right corner like you said there should be.

UPDATE: I just double check, the changes made does stay during the flight, but after a disconnection and reconnection from the drone the settings snap back to "BASIC COMPLiMENTARY"

UPDATE 2: Ok I just found the save button but its not on the bottom right, its at the top. So now all I want to know is why my drone shot up 100m instead of just 10m after i changed the setting to complimentar + mag + gps-outdoor

Ill start a new thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:13:40 am by darkdave »

hwh

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:35 am »
You're running 15.09, a version that doesn't support external mags except for the GPS Platinum.  Every tutorial and wiki page on external mags warn that they don't work unless you're running next or wait until the next release.

The page you're on, the System tab UAVObject browser doesn't have a save button per se.   If you hover your mouse over the red and green arrows at the top of the page they'll pop up info on what they do.  It's not really intended for anyone but advanced users.  If you were running next as I said in the previous post you'd have been changing that setting in the config tab.

As a first try at getting gps/mag modes working you skipped over the simple, safe modes like gps assist and went directly to trying one of the most advanced modes where you give control of the vehicle to the FC.  You should be going step by step from the simple, easy modes gradually to the more complex ones.

You might want to read Cliff's post on his recommendations of how to work up to autonomous flight, they're at https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=15.msg36#msg36

Roypw

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:45 pm »
In China they sell this GPS + Compass as part of a Revolution package including the FC and the oplink. I cant find much information in English about this GPS + Compass combo and how suitable it is for Revolution and how to install it with Libre/Revolution.

UBLOX NEO M8N GPS
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.16.zih8XT&id=520965327986&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

Would appreciate any feed back in relation to:

1. Hardware guide for this device
2. Installation guide for libre with this GPS+Compass 2 in one device (I got the GPS working but not the compass) , especially on the compass side of things.
3. Comments on suitability this device is for working with libre/revo

THIS LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE I BOUGHT - NO MAG CHIP IN MINE. BEWARE. The Amazon listing and on the GPS cover it says compass. Not so

darkdave

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 01:38:01 am »
You're running 15.09, a version that doesn't support external mags except for the GPS Platinum. 

Aren't you? Just wondering, why you used the word "you". If its just me can I update to your presumably higher version?

Every tutorial and wiki page on external mags warn that they don't work unless you're running next or wait until the next release.

I wasn't running external mags at the time but the settings I chose said complimentary (im guessing this means accelerometers and gyros only) + MAGS + GPS outdoors. It didn't say "EXTERNAL MAG". I just assumed that Mags means internal mag.

The page you're on, the System tab UAVObject browser doesn't have a save button per se.   If you hover your mouse over the red and green arrows at the top of the page they'll pop up info on what they do.

I did, it saves "SAVE"

As a first try at getting gps/mag modes working you skipped over the simple, safe modes like gps assist and went directly to trying one of the most advanced modes where you give control of the vehicle to the FC.  You should be going step by step from the simple, easy modes gradually to the more complex ones.

I did successfully get the drone working in Absolute Position (GPS ASSIST) and Velocity ROAM and Position Hold. So youre wrong about that. I didn't skip those tests.

I couldn't however get return to base working. It just climbs and then hovers in hold position mode. It doesn't come back to the "house" on the map.

Or do you mean I should have set my Fusion Algorithm to INS13 only? Please elaborate

You might want to read Cliff's post on his recommendations of how to work up to autonomous flight, they're at https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=15.msg36#msg36

I did check it out but it lacks specifics such as fusion alogorithm settings

Btw, I like your movies "Matthew Broderick". :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:55:43 am by darkdave »

darkdave

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 01:45:37 am »
Check attached photo to see crashed wreckage.

My questions are now is these:

1. When flying without an external mag: That is just the accelerometers, barometers, gyros, internal mag and external GPS. What must I set my Fusion Algorithm to? Which setting?

2. I have a 6M NEO UBLOX GPS Im using now because my 8m was also destroyed in the crash. Are you saying that I should not connect the compass in it to my Flight Controller because there is no support for it? If I can connect to it what setting should I set my Fusion Algorithm to? Which setting?

3. INS13(something about GPS? I notice it as a fusion mode setting) what is this?
4. "NEXT" what is this?
5. I2c (something about external mag?) what is this? I set it for my flexiport where my external mag is now connected in.

Thanks again, Mat! :)
David
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:58:03 am by darkdave »

darkdave

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 02:02:43 am »
:D :P

Mateusz

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 06:58:50 am »

My questions are now is these:

1. When flying without an external mag: That is just the accelerometers, barometers, gyros, internal mag and external GPS. What must I set my Fusion Algorithm to? Which setting?

2. I have a 6M NEO UBLOX GPS Im using now because my 8m was also destroyed in the crash. Are you saying that I should not connect the compass in it to my Flight Controller because there is no support for it? If I can connect to it what setting should I set my Fusion Algorithm to? Which setting?

3. INS13(something about GPS? I notice it as a fusion mode setting) what is this?
4. "NEXT" what is this?
5. I2c (something about external mag?) what is this? I set it for my flexiport where my external mag is now connected in.

1. I believe answer to your question was on Wiki. I found it by google

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Revo+Attitude+Configuration

Attitude Estimation Algorithm

You can choose between Basic(Complementary) or GPS Navigation (INS13).

GPS Navigation (INS13) is needed for extended features like GPS Assist, Position Hold or Return to Base.

I underlined important.

2. Yes, this has been answered as well, but that's is correct. Version tagged 15.09 supports only external mag in case of genuine OP GPSv9 if you are lucky to own one.
  • If you don't have that unit. Any other AuxMags are supported in development branch "next" (repeated so often here).
  • If you want to try testing development code it's public and everyone can download and build it or wait for prebuild released version.
3. Above answered (for more details what sensor fusion algorithm is http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sensor+fusion+algorithm)
4. Above answered but it is possible to search forum that term occurs VERY often
5. Very first link to forum answers that http://lmgtfy.com/?q=I2C+Mag
Indeed AugMag with I2C can be used.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:02:16 am by Mateusz »

darkdave

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »
What was she like?

That is, what was she like when she was all wet? :D

Was she even slightly a turn on?