bomaht

Input voltage quick easy question.
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »
I know the input voltage is 4.8-15v.  But I'm building an ultra light racing quadcopter using. Revolution board.  I may or may not use the oplink and I'm concerned that my wire size might be too small.  The distance from PDB to FC is less than 2 inches in wire length and its 20 awg size.  I'm also powering the receiver at 5v through the flexiio port.  Should I be concerned at all?  I'm kinda new to this board and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cato

Re: Input voltage quick easy question.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:22:52 am »
Hi Bomaht,

I have the PDB and FC sitting stacked on my quads, about 2cm distance (less than an inch). I am powering it from the PDB's 5V BEC with a short connector (about 3inch, 7,5cm). It should be hard to get into trouble with a short cable, as long as your power source (BEC) delivers a good signal in the proper range for your FC and receiver (the FC output is not regulated). The only issue I know is, when you use long cables with bad quality and/or too small diameter, the signal loss then could be too much. I have that problem with one of my FPV cams, I had to shorten it, and will replace it by a better quality cable.

The problem with such a setup is  very likely the magnetic compass: my internal compass turns red the moment the quad takes off.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

bomaht

Re: Input voltage quick easy question.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:50:51 am »
excellent.  just the information I was looking for.  Thank you very much cato