Nightly builds
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:50:34 am »
Hi,

It seems that it's problematic for some less technical people to build next branch of LibrePilot. I'm not confident they should be encouraged to try unreleased software on their crafts, but on the other hand it might be helpful for beta testers.

What might be nice is having a nightly (or commitly ;)) builds available for the public to download.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to set up some VMs to do the nightly building. Alternatively a CI solution might make sense too.

Not sure if it's a good idea and would be happy to hear suggestions about systems that could be used (especially for OSX and Windows).

edit: Hooray, I just posted that in wrong sub-forum. Can somebody move it to general?

Mateusz

Re: Nightly builds
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:12:47 am »
Devs are working on getting those builds using Travis at the moment. It's one of important tasks as far as I understood :)
For example this commit 9 hours ago https://bitbucket.org/librepilot/librepilot/pull-requests/235/update-travis-to-build-with-osgearth/diff

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:33:16 am »
Hi

We are planning to use the Bamboo CI that comes with Atlassians application suite. We used that back in the OpenPilot project and it works great. It will build all branches automatically and publish binaries to some place where people can download them at will. The reason why we don't do this is that we are lacking the hardware to run the build-agents on. Windows and Linux are the easy platforms since they could be run in a VM. The MacOSX is harder since it requires dedicated hardware if we don't want to breach the Apple OS license.

As Mateuz says some work has been done to use Travis to build at least Linux binaries. I don't know how universal this solution is though.

/Fredrik

hwh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 04:21:55 pm »
...Hooray, I just posted that in wrong sub-forum. Can somebody move it to general?
No one here is actually fanatical about that but I've moved it for you.

I can't make up my mind on the subject of nightly builds available to the public.  On one hand I like people being able to use every feature that's been worked on.  Particularly in the current situation where a lot of people want the external mag or Naza gps features. On the other hand, next is not extensively tested and in a complex system like this it's hard to predict interactions between changes without a lot of testing.  That's why the branch is "next" instead of "release".

-Hank

trufy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:10:38 am »
Hi guys,

Anyone here who could build me a next release? I would like to test the new COM Bridge function for the OPLINK Communication. I guess i would also need the new GCS?
So GCS Windows, OPLINK Firmware and Sparky 2 would be great. I saw that next releases have been build yesterday, but i guess not compiled?

Jhinta

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:20 am »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:44:30 am by Jhinta »

trufy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:57:22 pm »
great help! thanks. Are the Firmware included in the GCS or is there another path i didnt get to download them?

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
Any time you get a "package" like that (including an official release), it comes with the firmware built into the GCS (not as separate firmware files).

trufy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:05 pm »
thats what i had in my mind. And i see it works with the FC, but not with the oplink. Is there a difference? They run 16.09 now, but i cant update to a newer release.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 08:32:08 pm »
You need to update the Oplink firmware first.

The only way to update the firmware for OPlink is the Manual update method using the "Upgrade&Erase" button:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Manualmethod

trufy

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:12 pm »
Thanks all for your quick replies and help.
I figured out that first it was my mistake, i didn't realize that pressing the button BEFORE pluging the Device behaves differently (even if you perfectly described this behaviour in the mouse-over text).
But then, i have another strange behaviour.
While on one OPLink it worked perfectly, i cant update the second one. It goes up to 100% flashing, but then i dont get the green message "successful". Instead i get a failed and when i unplug/plug the Device it is not properly recognized. The OPLink Config Panel doesn't show up.
I tried to re-flash the Bootloader first, but it didnt help either. I also tried all "Erase" Buttons, any idea what it could be?
thank you! I really appreciate your help.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:45:23 pm by trufy »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:37 pm »
Be sure you have only one device connected at once and use "Upgrade&Erase" button and connect Oplink.

trufy

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:08:54 am »
You wont believe it, i had to do try on another PC and then i was able to configure the device. Even after flashing successfully, my other Computer doesnt recognize it properly, nevertheless that it shows up as connected, virtual com port is there etc. No clue here.
Finally i was able to configure both module as com-bridge VCP to MAIN Port over the air and my system is fully operational at 128k link speed and 56k com speed.
Thanks everyone for the great help!

Jhinta

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:46:14 am »
You wont believe it, i had to do try on another PC and then i was able to configure the device. Even after flashing successfully, my other Computer doesnt recognize it properly, nevertheless that it shows up as connected, virtual com port is there etc. No clue here.
Finally i was able to configure both module as com-bridge VCP to MAIN Port over the air and my system is fully operational at 128k link speed and 56k com speed.
Thanks everyone for the great help!

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Troubleshooting