revo board help,will not show as level in FD
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:21:53 am »
gave up on gps just wasnt happening. removed gps,disabled port. reconfig in comp basic. board is flat on frame and pointing forward as the arrow points. all green in FD except plan and input. no plan needed and aux channels not set. no prob. but shows leaning to the left and of center. if facing due north on bench it shows north west in FD. arms and flies but drifts towards the left and backwards slightly. will not hover in place. recal 100x. it iss much better than when gps was attached but not good.never has it been right. its a new board and been trying for weeks in spare time. about ready to scrap i have 4 models 2 cc3d one naz and this revo. this is the only one im having constant trouble with. any advise would be appreciated greatly thank you. in FD its now shows facing south west and it has never moved on the bench still due north
ωʉɱ ∞

Re: revo board help,will not show as level in FD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:19:35 am »
lets not all start talking at once!! please one at a time!! well by reading others problems and sifting through the sand i read something f5soh advised someone else about changing the settings in systems from basic comp to basic plus mag. this helped alot. i now drift slightly forward but its much better. Im going to break it down and change frames to a more basic setup and see if that changes anything.
ωʉɱ ∞

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:30:57 am »
Hi, nacholibre

For flight controller to recognize where North and South is, you need working and calibrated Magnetometer.
For normal flying Magnetometer is not needed, it is only needed when flying in autonomous GPS flight modes. Complementary+Mag is not really needed for normal flying.
You should set to Complementary and it should be fine. If you Magnetometer has interference it will only make things worst.

If your board drifts a little it is ok and normal. If it drifts too much, then it could be for many reasons, bad frame, uneven mass, vibrations, bad build in general or bad calibration.
When I fly in Complementary only and I tune my quad-copter, I can use Altitude-Hold flight mode (with tuned altitude PIDs). Then it can hover such that I can put Taranis on ground for 1-2 seconds, pick it up and it does not drift too much (was no wind when I did that). I don't even use GPS for that.

If your build drifts that you can't even let the sticks, then it's probably something bend, lose or bad calibration. This is not really an issue for FPV or racing I think, but if you want at some point step up to GPS flight modes, then you have to fix that issue first and make it fly good in Complementary.

P.S I would start with checking calibration, if it was made on level surface etc..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:50:40 am by Mateusz »

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:28:39 am »
Hi, Mateusz                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks for dropping in and sharing useful information as always. If i put down my Tx for 2 seconds, when i picked it back up, that would be all i had any more. :D On this particular model any ways. Its the only one i have problems with. And i think you're right. Its probably just a coincidence that it flew better after i changed the system settings. Or maybe i did a better calibration, but not good enough. But odd that the drift completely changed directions and intensity. It also has more technology(Revo) than my other boards,which are very basic.(CC3D) I could set down my Tx and send a text message from my phone and they will hardly move.  But from what you've been telling me and what I've been reading. I'm being too impatient and expecting too much. I have been doing all my calibrations indoors and haven't been letting it sit outside for 15-20 minute before flight. Where i fly at my home is far from being an open area without interference as well. Trees,power lines, passing 18 wheeler's and such. I don't know if it matters but i also have many led's on all my models, as i tend to like to fly at night because i can see my quad better and don't lose orientation. So i'm gonna do a tear down and start from scratch with a basic blackout 250 carbon frame with only the minimal and try the gps again. Its always good to hear from you friend. You jumped in to help me that very first day I came to the forum. Much respect. Thanks again.
ωʉɱ ∞

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:27:26 pm »
Hi nacholibre,

Here is a short movie I made today

as you can see it does drift, this in Complementary without GPS completely normal.  When I turn it back to me, and let it go, I can relax my fingers from the sticks a bit at 0:16 for maybe a second. When there is no wind, it is possible to put Taranis on the ground and pick it up immediately, but I wouldn’t let it hovering like that for longer. When it starts drifting it just accelerates in one direction.
This build is with 3D printer tilted motors, so I had to adjust virtual board to make it hover in place instead of rushing forward, maybe that still needs some tuning. Next time I may try with GPS (I didn’t calibrate magnetometer this time).

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 04:36:08 pm »
sweet!is that the gps thats on an antenna that you're pushing down on? i had mine down inside the frame but last night i built a stand for it like that so that it would be away from everything. but the weather hasn't permitted for me to test yet.
ωʉɱ ∞

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 04:51:08 pm »
Yes that is GPS stand 14cm above to keep magnetometer away from all electronics, but I didn't use magnetometer here.
Also what I did in this movie was quite stupid, it was a bit risky to fingers.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 06:41:38 pm »
Why do you do that ? That not safe  ::)

Mateusz

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
I gave warning not to do that in post above already.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »
Just a joke, i think you already see a guy doing the same recently. :)

nuggetz

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:27 am »
Does your quad hover fine in non GPS modes? You could look at the browser and search for stabilizationDesired and check to see what you roll, pitch and yaw values are. If these values are anything other than close to 0 then check your transmitter trims. I found my roll at one point was +3 and the quad was drifting. This is a good way to look and see what the FC thinks your inputs from your controller are. Do this with your quad attached via USB or oplink.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »
no i always set my tx trims to zero because i use gcs to cinfigure everything. but yes the revo drifts some hen not in gps mode. i havent even got any use out of this op gps. its basically worthless in my opinion. too old and small. But thanks for the input. Now as of all my other models which run basic cc3d fc's or similar rarely drift. so i'm sure its just the revo. however great they claim to be, I haven't been impressed much. they're all clones as i have been advised they haven't manufactured true revos in years,so who knows. And i cant say that i have honestly done my research either. i usually wait till i crash and burn before i do lol. i just have too many no fuss models ready to fly to prep for an hour to maybe, maybe not fly my revo. i've just grown bored with having to jump through hoops to fly the damn thing. the only thing i can see me using would be the return to home feature.
ωʉɱ ∞