OPLink A few Questions & Problems
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:25:35 am »
So I figured I would get myself a Op link Radio to try to be able to Calibrate my quad better after Having Magnetic interference.

I followed all instructions but while I seem to have had some small success I suspect the Air Radio on board the FC may be stuffed.

Basically I seem to be able to get the Ground Radio to get some kind of signal (I think) but while the ground station is clearly sending packets, I cannot see any evidence of that with the Air Radio.

Also After binding, the settings for GCS are no longer greyed out etc, they ARE available, but they wont save. instead of a green tick on the save button there is a red X.

The "Log Replay" words disappear on the HUD, but The HUD does not respond to movement of the FC.

I have bot green and amber lights on the Ground radio flashing really fast as if transmitting data.

I have tried Upgrade & Erase several times (but i dont think the problem is the ground radio)

I have Attached Screen shots.

A FEw questions:

What is the bind button for? I find no mention of that in the instructions or in any post around the place?

can I buy an OPlink Mini Air and use that on the Revo (even though the revo has a built in radio) (in case on board radio is buggered?)

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: OPLink A few Questions & Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:34:46 pm »
You should not use the bind button anymore.

Try flashing the bootloader for Oplink:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/OPLink+Configuration#OPLinkConfiguration-Troubleshooting

"OPlink Mini Air" is a special chinese item only used for "Revo Mini" with spi lines, you cannot connect this device to a Revo.

Take a look at this page for possible configurations and help:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/OPLink+Configuration#OPLinkConfiguration-OPlinkconfigurations

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 07:10:14 am »
dam. Thts a shame about the oplink mini. I have one available  :/ So I dont suppose there is such a thing as an external Air Radio then? I will try re-flashing Boot loader. Both on board Radio and Ground radio say BL version 6 i think. I'll go flash them both now and see what happens. Thanks man ;)

hwh

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »
...So I dont suppose there is such a thing as an external Air Radio then?...

Actually, the regular "ground" oplink isn't a ground oplink, it's just an oplink.   It works on both the ground and air sides.  When the Chinese came out with what they call an "oplink air" they started calling the real oplink an "oplink ground".

Any oplink with the two 4 pin connectors should work on either end of the link.  It works that way for the cc3d, I've never tried it with a revo but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I'd make sure to set the transmit power on the revo's built in oplink to 0.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »
After I bought several devices:
  • Revolution Mini
  • OPLink Mini Air
  • OPLink Mini Ground
  • OpenPilot Revolution

and had successfully bound the Revolution Mini + OPLink Mini Air with the OPLink Mini Ground, I tried to bind the OPLink Mini Ground with the OpenPilot Revolution. I like to have the radio integrated in the flight controller (OpenPilot Revolution), which is why I try to do this. Unfortunately it seems that the OPLink Mini Ground is not compatible with the OpenPilot Revolution (although they run the same OPLink firmware version: 15.09).

I just found out that instead of the OPLink Mini Ground (normally sold together with the OPLink Mini Air), one is supposed to use the OPLink Mini together with the OpenPilot Revolution.

I was very surprised (and disappointed) to notice this and would like to know why the OPLink Mini Ground cannot connect to the OpenPilot Revolution (obviously without the OPLink Mini Air).

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
Hi, welcome ;)

The Oplink "ground" that comes with Revo Mini works the same as Oplink Mini.
They (the cloners) changed the button position and add SMA connectors.

Maybe something wrong with your Revolution board (config or hardware), assuming the Oplink (ground side) connected to computer works.

Please note CC3D and Revolution board are different so here we call boards CC3D, Revolution or Revolution Mini?
Never "Revo", that no sense.
Look here for boards: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Supported+Hardware

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:19:53 am »
Regelink: Thais may explain my problem too then (though I assumed it would not be an issue) Hobbyking (who has an Australian warehouse) Did not have stock of the Standard OPlink Ground station, so I purchased a set of OPlink mini Ground and air. So I have been trying to bind the OPlink mini Ground with the on board FC OPlink. Will be interesting to see what happens when my standard OP Link Ground statio arrives in a week or two (from over seas WH)

hwh

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:53:53 am »
...I just found out that instead of the OPLink Mini Ground (normally sold together with the OPLink Mini Air), one is supposed to use the OPLink Mini together with the OpenPilot Revolution...

Where did you find that? I'd be interested to read what differences they found. The "OPLink Mini Ground" is just a Chinese marketing name, the actual device is an OPLink-Mini clone.  There's not supposed to be any difference other than the antenna connector and button placement.  And the button hasn't been used in years, it's a leftover from an earlier binding procedure. The later "genuine" ones didn't even have the button installed.

I have a small collection of the clones, an "OPLink Air/OPlink Ground/Revolution Mini", and three other OPLink-Mini clones. Of those, two of the OPLink-Mini clones won't connect to anything else, including each other. They're apparently defective in some way, I just haven't gotten around to figuring out how since I don't need them.  I actually purchased them for the parts since they sell for less than the sum of their parts and it was cheaper to buy them than the individual parts.  In a couple of weeks when the blank boards come in I'll take them apart and use the parts on the new boards.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:40 am »
Success! My OPLink Ground Station Arrived and I now have good strong comms with the on board revo radio. The OPLink Mini will not connect properly with the Onboard radio of my Revo. I dunno if its just my equipment, or which, but yeah the mini ground (meant for mini air) will not connect with the on board radio. but all good now. Ill probably give my mini set away soon, I dont think I will have a use for it. I wait a little longer see if I can find or think of a use for my mini set.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:41 pm »
Today I received my OPLink Mini (see image attached), which I ordered because the OPLink Mini Ground (sold together with the OPLink Mini Air) didn't connect to my Revolution with on-board radio. Like Jayson Black reported, this one does successfully connect to the Revolution with on-board radio.

So, now I can conclude that my Revolution with on-board radio is perfectly fine (I thought it might be broken), and so is my OPLink Mini Ground (because it does connect with the OPLink Mini Air). My question thus remains: Why is the OPLink Mini Ground not compatible with the Revolution with on-board radio? I think this is very bad and confusing and should be cleared up or at least noted clearly in the Wiki, apparently the OPLink Mini and the OPLink Mini Ground are definitely not the same thing...

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »
Oplink Mini (that the original design) and Oplink ground (redesigned Oplink) are electrically the same.
I use one "Oplink ground" without issue in various configurations, set as coordinator and allow connecting to others devices.
The "Oplink Ground" works exactly the same as a original Oplink mini.

Wiki focus on original hardware where we know schematic and PCB assembly.

jbarchuk

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 12:44:11 am »
My question thus remains: Why is the OPLink Mini Ground not compatible with the Revolution with on-board radio? I think this is very bad and confusing and should be cleared up or at least noted clearly in the Wiki, apparently the OPLink Mini and the OPLink Mini Ground are definitely not the same thing...

PLEASE DON'T TAKE ANY PERSONAL OFFENSE AT MY COMMENTS!! THIS RANT IS *NOT* DIRECTED AT *YOU*!!! You happen to be just another unfortunate mark/victim of the 'Chinese reverse-engineer-clone revolution.'

Neither LibrePilot nor the previous OpenPilot designed any of the parts that are available now. The current parts are all hacks, clones and re-designs intended to be manufactured cheaper. And I don't mean clone by the OP definition which is 'an exact copy made with the specified parts to the specified prints.' I mean it by the more common definition, 'a generally functional copy which may or may not work for everyone in every situation.'

Yet, the Chinese retailers feel perfectly free to include links to OP and/or LP for downloads, information and support.

You anger and frustration should be directed towards the retailer, who should forward those sentiments to the manufacturer. And the retailer should dump the manufacturer because the parts obviously don't work.

hwh

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 01:31:21 am »
... Why is the OPLink Mini Ground not compatible with the Revolution with on-board radio? ...

Because the OPLink Mini Ground is bad, so is the matching OPLink Air.  They're made with substandard parts and are off frequency.  Since they're both made by the same people and off by the same amount they talk to each other but not OPLinks that are properly made and on frequency.  I have 4 regular oplinks, a regular revo, and an oplink ground/air pair.  The regular oplinks and revo all talk to each other (not at the same time of course  :) ).  The oplink ground and air only talk to each other and won't talk to any of the others.

In the capture below the top half is a normal, working oplink.  The bottom is an oplink ground that won't talk to other oplinks.  The glitch in the middle is me stopping the analyzer to switch oplinks.  Notice the bad one is shifted higher in frequency.  And it's RFM22b has the chip marking removed.  Maybe they're using seconds or clones of the RFM22b modules. 

In the second picture the left one is a real RFM22b module and works fine, the right is the oplink ground that won't talk to regular oplinks.  On the right the chip marking has been removed.  It's also a different chip package, the board markings are a little different, and the crystal a different make.   The castellations along the edge of the board are a different design.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:35:02 am by hwh »

hwh

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 06:24:50 pm »
I replaced the RFM22b module on the "oplink ground" that wouldn't talk to any oplink except the "oplink air" it came with to confirm that the module was all that was bad.  It now talks to all 4 of my other oplinks and revo.  The only thing it won't talk to is the "oplink air" it came with and I'll fix that by replacing the defective RFM22b on it.

edit: I replaced the RFM22b on the "oplink air" with a good one and now everything works. All 4 oplinks, oplink air, oplink ground, and revo all can talk to each other.  The defective RFM22b modules both had the chip markings ground off so they're easy to spot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:00:28 pm by hwh »

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »
Everyone who buys OpLinks should test them with the OpLinks/Revos/Sparky2s that they already have and if they don't talk to what you already have, return them for a refund.  That will cause the sellers of bad hardware enough problems that it will help drive the bad stuff off the market or at least drop the price.

Same rule goes actually goes for anything, but especially for cheap clones.  :)

Same quality issues with Revo clones and Sparky2 clones.